Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gr8fun
    replied
    I have been playing with this solar for e bike for some time. Will be happy to share my experiences to maybe prevent replications of my mistakes.

Leave a comment:

• AZguy
    commented on 's reply
    The amazon one I found said delivery March 30 - April 20... I guess I'll need to look harder

I've got so many batteries, hard to see why not get some solar going

• Gr8fun
    replied
    Mppt 7210a for $60 on amazon free delivery by march 17.
    source from china and 40. Wait a month or two..
    Not a more versatile charger out there..
    Solar panel (or 12v battery) and 7210a. controls rate of charge. % of charge. 1time. Battery voltage. Cc cv charge. Fast charge to set amperage. Use daily maintenance free.
    in bad weather i might plug in twice a year.
    a solar bicycle trailer or mounting panels to bike extends your range. Costs less than another battery.

Leave a comment:

• AZguy
    commented on 's reply
    That ming mppt7210 is some cool piece of kit - too bad they're only sourced from china, otherwise would be on my shopping list
    Last edited by AZguy; 03-09-2021, 03:38 AM.

• CPG
    replied
    All you need is a little 1 KW generator, I prefer Yamaha over the Honda as it's 1 lb lighter and a tad bit quieter. Keep it simple, especially as you already seem to have a quality generator.
    I had a custom charger (voltage convertor) built for my plane, to charge my 52 volt battery off the 12 volt system, but that's because I wanted to charge while flying and sure didn't want to haul a generator.

Leave a comment:

• Gr8fun
    replied
    The ming he mppt7210 a is a cheap (53$) user set parameter solar controller. Will boost your 12v solar oanel or 12v battery to the e bike battery of your choice. Digital display is accurate and extensive.
    mine has been working fine for a couple of years.
    it works satisfactorily. Slow on adjusting for passing clouds etc. If you are into extremee performance waterproof ruggedness, you can spend a lot more for a purpose built genasun. Which i also use.
    Far more efficient than charging with controller battery invertor charger complex.
    A 100 watt panel with this boost controller will almost always give you with "good" sun 1 amp charge with 52 volt battery. For faster charge multiply panels.
    if you have 2 batteries charge one while you are out thrashing the first. Get a 48 dc to 120 ac invertor and use for dry camping.

Leave a comment:

• 73Eldo
    replied
    I would agree that anything that is a Genuine Honda should be fine to run a charger. A Honda clone... not so much. And it would be the charger that should take the hit from nasty incoming power. Even bad charger designs should not really put out 'bad' power unless the design and incoming power is so bad that they way it fails send incoming power straight to the battery.

I'm no expert on this stuff but the better solar charge controllers I have seen you can set the battery voltage and type on so that would likely be the most efficient way to charge from solar. Doing the step down from panel voltage to 12v to 120 to 48 has a fair amount of loss and an even better chance of angry interactions since pretty much everything now days uses tricks to change voltages.

The charge controllers I have seen that have a lot of setting options are not cheap but if you want to play the game you need the proper equipment.

Leave a comment:

• AZguy
    replied
    Originally posted by Muttmaster View Post
    My ebike is coming and prepping on his yo charge batteries while camping for extended days. Got a Honda eu2200i, but not sure is safe for the expensive lithium.
    I have a 350 watts pure sine wave inverter that I can use off my truck camper battery, but not sure how long it would take to charge up and how much it would deplete my camper batteries.

I have 260 watts of solar on top of my camper and also a 100 watts suitcase panel and like to know if I can charge directly from panel to battery, or I must use the provided charger.
    You can't charge directly from panels to battery without an appropriate solar battery charging system

The generator will be fine

350w inverter will be fine for smaller chargers - you didn't say anything about the charger or the battery so can't answer

The panels with an inverter and the standard charger might or might not be suitable (likely not) but you didn't provide anywhere near enough information

Generally speaking more and specific information from you is likely to get more and better responses

Leave a comment:

• calfee20
    replied
    Originally posted by Muttmaster View Post
    My ebike is coming and prepping on his yo charge batteries while camping for extended days. Got a Honda eu2200i, but not sure is safe for the expensive lithium.
    I have a 350 watts pure sine wave inverter that I can use off my truck camper battery, but not sure how long it would take to charge up and how much it would deplete my camper batteries.

I have 260 watts of solar on top of my camper and also a 100 watts suitcase panel and like to know if I can charge directly from panel to battery, or I must use the provided charger.
    That generator is safer than the grid.

Leave a comment:

• Muttmaster
    started a topic Battery charging in the boonies

Battery charging in the boonies

Working...
X