Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting the most out of 200 watts - Geared hub vs Mid drive

Hello,

I am totally new to ebiking, I have never ridden one but I am looking at putting together an ebike from my Gitane Mach 1400 road type bike

In Australia the power limit is 200 watts so I am hoping for advice on the best kit to buy to get the most out of this limit.

I have been looking at a 200w planetary geared hub motor available in Australia for about $440 (not including battery) but also I am looking at mid drive motors such as the Cyclone ones. If the motor cuts out with the mid drive kits can I disengage the motor from the chain, or do I have to peddle the motor as well? Do the mid drive kits have to move the peddles around whenever the motor is on?

I live in an area with some light hills (Reynella, SA), one of the places I wanted to ride to has a return trip going up a slope on a bike track along side a freeway, I haven't measured the gradient but it wouldn't be huge because there is a freeway there as well but it is fairly long.

My bicycle currently has only 2 sprockets in the middle section so it doesn't have the low gears of other bikes.
    Also I didn't want to spent a lot of money on a really expensive kit. Also hoping for something that isn't too difficult to install.

What do you think I should look at?
    Last edited by =BicycleRider=; 07-20-2016, 09:45 PM.

You can still pedal most bikes with motors. Some have more resistance than others. All of the kits Luna sells are well over 200w, but many AU riders build with more powrrful kits. There are several excellent gear drive hub motors that can run at 200W and also be run at higher power for more speed. I suggest a forum like www.endless_sphere.com and using AU in your heading to get advise from local riders on what you can get away with or what I'd most popular and reliable in your market.

Comment

Ok thanks, the link didn't work though.
      Is there a big difference in performance between geared hub vs mid drive systems going up light slopes over long distance for on road use. It would be easier to just get a geared hub.

Comment

Not to difficult just google endless sphere

Comment

Ok thanks found it, I'll ask there.

Comment

I have a AU legal mid drive. I like it better than the GD hub. But I think the Bafang 250 is discontinued. You'll need to look at something like the BEWO.

Comment

Thanks, can you get it in a 200w version?

What were the main reasons you preferred it to the geared hub?

Comment

I don't work for Luna anymore, and they do not have it available. As I mentioned it looks to be discontinued. Check with you AU resellers. They handle climbing better. But the geared may serve your needs. Again ES is you best source unless you buy a bigger motor that allowed by law. Americans don't buy small motors since there is no regulation that small. Most are 750w.

Comment

Thanks, yes I posted there as well now, no reply yet but I'll wait and see.

The only 200w mid drive kit I found (but haven't looked that much yet) is the Cyclone one from Taiwan.
                  So I'm comparing something like this.

With something like this
                  Last edited by =BicycleRider=; 07-21-2016, 12:08 AM.

Comment

I actually have a kit from Solar Bike. It's a nice MXUS geared hub drive. A nice reliable little motor. Based on your knowledge and apparent skill level I'd avoid the Cyclone. It's not an easy build.

You won't find 200W I think you will find 250W. I already mentioned one BEWO. Spend some time looking on ES. There's a BEWO thread and it mentions another lower power mid drive.

Comment

Unfortunately I can't get anything over 200w can't even get 250w peddle assist unless it conforms to some long number European standard.
                      There are very restrictive regulations here.

Did you install the solar bike kit on the front or back wheel, would it be very difficult to install it on the back wheel?
                      Last edited by =BicycleRider=; 07-22-2016, 01:27 AM.

Comment

Go o their website, look at the kits. Talk to them. Google "install rear hub motor". You'll need to do some research rather than just depend on a forum for every answer. There's all sorts of great information at your finger tips. I installs dozens of kits and I find them easy. My first was difficult, only because I didn't do enough reading and research. Call or email the people you are buying from. They should be willing to guide you, but please do yourself a favor and sen some time using google and reading what you find. Nearly any question you pose here can be google and get a better answer than I can manage.

http://bfy.tw/6rkP BANG first hit!

Comment

Any kit you buy these days can simply be programmed with a laptop to limit speed/power to whatever is legal in your country. Also, for lower power limits you will find a mid drive to perform significantly better as they can take advantage of the bike's gearing. Both hub and mid drive will perform relatively equal on flat ground, but the first hill you come to you will see the difference. A low powered hub will bog down where as a mid drive can take advantage of the lower gears on the bike to make as much as 15x the torque for easy hill climbing.

Comment

Thanks, yes I posted there as well now, no reply yet but I'll wait and see. http://www.genstattu.com/

Comment

Working...
                            X