E-bike aftermarket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E-bike aftermarket

I started with gas assisted bicycles over a decade ago (mainly due to price).
    The gas-assist forums have advertisements all over them for add-ons like exhausts, carbs and other extras.
    -I do not see a lot of aftermarket ads on e-bike forums.

-Is it because e-bikes are so much more reliable?
    The gas assist bike requires regular tinkering, so their riders can install hot rod parts while doing their regular maintenance.

-E-bikes benefit from many of the same aftermarket parts as gas assist bikes, like better brakes (disc, drum), lights, seats, grips, pedals etc.
    Vendors of these things could definitely benefit from advertising on ebike site, IMHO.
    "I need another SimuLatte"

I'm not sure what you are calling gas assist, I assume you are talking more of what is often called a moped? Not an actual bicycle with a motor slapped on? Many of the upgrades you mention would be regular bicycle stuff so not really e specific so that would be why you don't really see specific marketing targeted at E bikes.

As for reliable I think a lot of E bikes and the kits are pretty much set it and leave it if that is your thing. If its not your thing then some of the kits and complete bikes do have hacks and mods that start with software changes. As always you can also get into hardware changes too which will then often give you even more software changes so like most things you can pretty much spend as much time and money as you want to increase performance.

Comment

When you are dealing with ICE (internal combustion engine) based kits, there is generally a lot of room to modify thanks to being a "real" engine. In the e-bike world, a motor/controller/battery are pretty much all matched and difficult to modify thanks to how they are packaged/assembled. Also, bikes run at different voltages, so common accessories are hard to land at.

As far as brakes, and other hard components, anything you can use on a gas engine platform can be used on an electric platform. However, you must account for electrical switching, and the fact that e-bikes use hall sensors for most things. Stuff made to work with an ICE kit is probably simple on/off, and made for 12V.

I agree with 73Eldo as far as reliability. An e-bike kit is sold as a complete platform that will be reliable with the parts meant for that system. Start changing them, and it's usually not an improvement, but rather a downgrade.

On this forum, you will see that some of us have built using the Cyclone kits. Those builds can get pretty wild. Retrorockit built a triple motor bakfiets (box bike) that is an absolute torque monster. If you poke around youtube, the fastest and most powerful builds on a standard MTB frame are using Cyclones.

So perhaps the best way to describe it is to say that fully built e-bikes, and e-bike kits generally do not benefit from altering drive-train parts, because the electric drive components are truly built as a matched system. However, most all e-bikes do benefit from hard part upgrades like better brake calipers, wheels, seat posts, forks, rear shocks, etc.

Jose

Comment

By "gas assist", I am referring to 2 stroke china girl kits 48-66cc (chain driven), 4 stroke HS 48cc engine kits (chain or friction drive), Subaru friction drive engines, etc.

-I did some mods to my Currie e-bike. Moved the batteries to the frame triangle. I used an old fuel tank to house my controller and main switch. I increased top speed using a left hand freewheel with a few more teeth than stock. (The older Curries used a separate chain to drive the rear hub). The Currie kit still performed below expectations, so I gave it to a homeless guy.

I have checked out the Cyclone kits. They look like they would require enough tinkering to keep it interesting.
        Last edited by Wheelbender6; 03-28-2021, 06:37 PM. Reason: add a few clarifications
        "I need another SimuLatte"

Comment

Working...
        X