Advantages of E-bike over Scooter or Small Motorcycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advantages of E-bike over Scooter or Small Motorcycle

My wife and I have 125cc motor scooters and I am considering trading them in for e-bikes.
    -The e-bikes are lighter and easier to haul than motor scooters.
    -Ebikes will allow us to ride sidewalks and multiuse paths instead of having to grapple with psychotic cagers on the street.

-Any other advantages I can use to persuade my wife to give up the motor scooter?
    "I need another SimuLatte"

You kinda hit the highlights. I don't know your specific area but most areas there are more places open to 'bicycles' than 'motor vehicles'. 125cc isn't hard to match in an ebike for performance so it would be more a question of range vs cost if you are taking throttle only rides. Averaging 20 mph throttle only takes some power so if that is the goal and you also want to go 30 miles that means a big or even multiple packs. If you can slow down to the teens and pedal a little 30 miles is very dooable with a single pack.

Comment

We live in an urban area. Even though the scooters can do 50-55 mph, it still takes a long time to get anywhere because we spend most of our ride waiting at traffic lights.

Comment

On a 'bicycle' you may be able to get places faster at lower speeds because maybe you can cut trough a park or some sort of campus that the streets have to go around. Same with some bridges sometimes there is a pedestrian bridge that is a direct route to someplace but the streets take the long way. Depending on the bike and your abilities a few stairs may not even be a problem.

Comment

I ride urban with a BBSHD conversion. The 1500W will drain the biggest battery pretty fast if you use it for speed. But the acceleration to cross big intersections if great to have. The gas bikes can stop and refuel anywhere. Commuters that can recharge their battery at work can get by with smaller batteries. But for out and back runs big batteries are useful. Commercial bikes will respect the 750W/28mph legal limit, and that's not really too bad for most riding. A converted bicycle still looks like a bicycle, and a BBSHD is silent so you can come and go unnoticed as long as you ride the speed people expect a bicycle to be going in that situation. Yet it's competent to ride the street when necessary. Bit of an outlaw rig, so it depends on the enforcement level where you're riding.
          Here's my build for this purpose.
          https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...-bbshd-project
          I like 26" bikes for urban. Quick handling and acceleration.
          at least 28mm fork stanchions, 30mm is better.
          Avid BB7 cable disc brakes with big rotors, and EBC metallic pads will work. Metallic pads with hydraulic brakes can have issues.
          MTB rated wheels. When in doubt Sun Rhynolite rims are tough as hell and affordable.
          48x11 is a good top gear. My 50x11 isn't used very often.
          The Sunrace 11-40 8 speed casette matches the power curve of the BBSHD perfectly.
          Schwalbe Big Ben Plus 26x21.5 tires are tough sticky tires with 50kph speed rating and sidewall reflectors.
          The stronger IGH hubs are a nice option. Uncommon in the desirable MTB format.
          I like old Shimano Rapid Rise derailers and gripshifts for urban riding. But the proper Revoshifters are rare. The derailers are not too hard to find. They can downshift standing still, or not pedaling.
          Chain lubrication and checking for stretch are needed regularly for a big mid drive. The Sunrace casette is cheap enough to replace with each chain swap.
          A quality suspension seatpost on a hardtail bike is the most common setup. Cane Creek Thudbuster LT or ST are good. The HT frame leaves room in the front triangle for the big battery.
          Last edited by Retrorockit; 05-01-2021, 08:05 AM.

Comment

I am a cyclist, but my wife rides only occasionally. A pedal assist system would work well for me, but my wife will need a thumb throttle.

Comment

• Retrorockit
              Retrorockit commented
              Editing a comment
              For urban I always like to have the throttle available.Full power "right now" can save your butt. That's also why I like the BBSHD. You always have the option of not using the throttle until you need it.

I have the KHS-500 wit the BBSHD. I use the throttle about 10% of the time and pedal assist for the 90%. But the 10% is SUPER useful when moving in awkward situations. I would NEVER own a ebike without a throttle. Best reason to have the eBike is that you can ride places a 125cc could never go. Plus it's so quiet. Love it!!

Comment

• Retrorockit
              Retrorockit commented
              Editing a comment
              It's better to have a throttle and not need it, than to need it and not have one.
              I built a TSDZ2 w/o throttle thinking it would be simpler for guests to operate. Had to buy a new motor controller/dis[lay to add the throttle later. I wouldn't ride urban w/o one.
              Last edited by Retrorockit; 05-06-2021, 05:15 AM.

Unless wifey is looking for a more bicycle-like experience than the scooter you got a tough sell IMO

Comment

Looking at the spec. sheet on the KHS 500
              I would move the 180mm front rotor to the rear, and get a 200/203mm front on there. 200mm f, and 180mm r caliper adapters are usually the same part#. 185/203 are individual parts I believe.
              It's going to be a lot faster and heavier than it is now.

Comment

Originally posted by AZguy View Post
                Unless wifey is looking for a more bicycle-like experience than the scooter you got a tough sell IMO
                I was considering one of the "mini bike" styled ebikes for the wife. She likes being outside, though exercise doesn't appeal to her much and she has some breathing conditions.

The wife enjoys riding in the countryside the most. When we ride the motor scooters, we usually load them into my truck and take them to some small rural town where we ride county roads with lower speed limits.

That is why portability is so important to us.

Comment

Maybe get her to a local bike shop that stocks some E bikes and have her do some test rides to see if there is any chance she will like it? Bike shop bikes won't usually have the power it sounds like you both will want but if she just hates the overall feel of them you might as well give up now.

The more moped mini bike dirt bike looking ones will attract more attention than the more bicycle looking bikes so that may be a factor in where you can ride too so you will for sure what to check the local rules on that style. The more bike looking bikes I think can sneak in a lot more places as long as you operate them like a bicycle where there are other people.

Comment

Ghost pedaling doesn't take much effort. She can set the assist at a level where almost no effort is required to maintain speed. On a BBSHD level 2/5 or 3/5 should do it. If the shop bikes have Torque sensors they won't tell you much about how the BBSHD will feel. This has gotten to be a common feature on OEM E bikes.
                    The BBSHD will make power as long as the pedals are moving at all. Since the weight of one foot going down pushes the other one up it's almost no work being done. I do almost all of my riding at level 1/5 unless there's a headwind involved or a hill. But the option is there to do almost nothing. The throttle is just a handy bailout feature.
                    Last edited by Retrorockit; 05-06-2021, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wheelbender6 View Post

I was considering one of the "mini bike" styled ebikes for the wife.
                      Most of those likely won't be legal class 1 or 2 electric bikes which will limit where you can ride them legally - for some that doesn't make much difference tho...

Frankly I'm seeing more of those types of things around so it's quite possible that more of them are class 2 these days

Comment

I'm seeing a lot of 20" tire fatbikes too with hubmotors. Bagibike seems to have cornered the market in my area. Bafang hubmotors from what I see. It makes sense for the tourist/beach cruising crowd.

Choose from a wide variety of luxury e-bikes. Folding, fat tire, cruisers with a comfortable upright seating position.
                        Last edited by Retrorockit; 05-06-2021, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X