Trunk bike carry rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trunk bike carry rack

i’ve been researching a trunk mounted carry rack for my ebike that i am in the process of building....which is my first build.....i haven’t weighed the bike yet, but i’m assuming somewhere, around 45ish pounds......anyway, i drive a 4 door sedan and would like to know, what my fellow e bikers are using....pictures would be awesome..thanks for looking...

45 pounds is pretty light for an E bike especially if that includes a battery. I have not gone deep into trunk racks but I would guess a super duty one could maybe do 50 pounds. Many hitch racks are not rated for a 50 pound bike. Have you looked into hitch racks? They are generally easier on the car and the bikes. You can get hitches for most cars in the range of $100 shipped and if you are a little handy and watch some youtube videos they are often not that hard to install.

Comment

Originally posted by 73Eldo View Post
      45 pounds is pretty light for an E bike especially if that includes a battery. I have not gone deep into trunk racks but I would guess a super duty one could maybe do 50 pounds. Many hitch racks are not rated for a 50 pound bike. Have you looked into hitch racks? They are generally easier on the car and the bikes. You can get hitches for most cars in the range of $100 shipped and if you are a little handy and watch some youtube videos they are often not that hard to install.
      I would also recommend a hitch style bike rack. You can snap the rack on and off quickly. You can lock the rack to your car and also lock the bike to the rack. it’s also easier to load and unload the bikes. I would also recommend taking the battery off the bike if you want an even lighter package. There are a slew of this type of rack available at many price points. I would recommend the flavor that don’t hang the bike by the top tube. Get the flavor that grabs the bike by the wheels. Then it will be more compatible with full suspension and ebikes.

Comment

my RRST weights in at about 90 lbs. I wouldn't use a "trunk mounted" set up just because you have to get up there! I selected one that I won't lose my ride on a rough stretch of highway.
        May the sound of your foot steps scare the pa-gee-bees out of Satan, EVERYDAY!

Comment

Working...
        X