1960s Schwinn to mid drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1960s Schwinn to mid drive

Does anybody know how a single piece crank bike can be fitted with an e motor? I have an old Schwinn Traveler that would make a great ebike. I'd prefer not to have to use a front hub motor as I'd have to replace the original wheel.
    I really appreciate any advice. Thanks.

An eccentric Ashtabula to BSA adapter is likely what you'd need to mount either the Bafang BBS series or Tongsheng TSSZ2 mid-drive motors. There are also frame wraparound clamp adapters available to mount batteries.

If the bike has a derailleur, you may lose use of the lowest rear gear(s), as well as the front double chainring (if equipped). I'd also tune up the rim brake effectivity as much as possible,
    Last edited by ncmired; 06-25-2021, 08:38 AM.
    BBSHD / BBS02 IGH Builds: Nexus / Alfine 8: 1 2 3 4 5 6, Rohloff: 1

Comment

That's awesome. I was wondering myself how you could mount a mid drive to the huge Ashtabula BB. Electrified and electro-forged!

Comment

ChicagoSchwinner - Did you ever give this project a go? If so, please post pics and share about the experience. I have a 67 Varsity Sport and an 80 Voyageur 11.8. The Voyageur rides so well, I don’t want to mod it. The Varsity feels like it’s about 40 lbs and it seems cruel that we used to ride these as kids. It would be a fun ride with a mid or hub motor but I’m weary about messing with the aesthetic of a well maintained classic. Would love to see and hear about your conversion project if you went through with it.

Comment

Working...
        X