Lone rider chasing the Tour De France

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lone rider chasing the Tour De France

Starting 10 days behind, Jack Thompson is planning on riding the whole TDF route and finishing ahead of the pro racers in Paris.
    He openly admits to being not quite right in the head. Nothing to do with E bikes. But too good to keep to myself.
    https://jackultracyclist.com/theamazingchase

I had not seen that. I have not been following this years race close but there seems to be more crashed than usual this year and I have seen more than a few pretty busted bikes. I don't think they lost any riders due to crashes early on but have lost a few more recently.

Comment

Its also like the people that fat bike the Iditarod. Or maybe not like it since its sleds vs bikes but similar in that they are using the official race route unofficially.

Comment

I think he's planning on riding 2 stages a day. I had one waitress at a bar where I was watching the race couldn't understand why they were helping each other in the race. This guy simplified it for her.

Comment

If nothing else there is a beautiful slideshow of the TDF route with no crowds, no peleton, very little traffic. He will be coming up to the Mt Ventoux X2 stage now.
          The pictures are worth a look.

Comment

Originally posted by 73Eldo View Post
            Its also like the people that fat bike the Iditarod. Or maybe not like it since its sleds vs bikes but similar in that they are using the official race route unofficially.
            They used to call that the "Ididabike".
            "My favorite childhood memory is Having Energy” -Libby Harper

Comment

I would imagine that guy is running into a lot less traffic in a lot of the route. Looking at some of the pictures there are a lot of places with a lot if bikes plus fans plus support crew.

Comment

• Retrorockit
                Retrorockit commented
                Editing a comment
                Sometimes he rides until 3AM. Not a 9-5 job for this guy.

Really incredible when you think of it. He’s riding a 50 pound bike. He’s riding all the transfers. He will not stop for the 2 break days. He will average about 180 miles per day, rolling over the Alps and the Pyrenees. Did I mention his bike (loaded with gear) is 50 pounds?

Comment

• Retrorockit
                Retrorockit commented
                Editing a comment
                He has a chase vehicle so I don't think he's carrying very much. There is another guy doing this "unsupported", and riding the transfer sections also.More of a tourist thing than competitive.Anyway he's over Mt Ventoux twice now. So it all downhill from there (NOT!).

The TDF is taking a day off tomorrow. Jack Thompson will probably ride 2 more stages and just about catch up to them with a week to go. His coach saw him struggling towards the top of Mt.Ventoux x2 and hopped on an E bike to keep him company over the top. So there it is. An E bike in the story.
              With a little better planning he could have caught them on the day off and had clear roads to get past them. How he's going to do that now remains to be seen.
              Last edited by Retrorockit; 07-11-2021, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Here's his home page with some videos. He holds some distance and climbing records. Just likes riding solo. No interest in racing other people.
                https://jackultracyclist.com/

Comment

There seems to be a delay in posting his progress. Time zones, and too busy riding I suppose. He's finished stages 13. and 14. The bar graph showing his relation to the peleton doesn't show this yet, but there is a comment that he has passed them now, and is heading for Paris. So the next update should be interesting.
                He did pass them on the rest day. It just wasn't posted until today.
                Last edited by Retrorockit; 07-13-2021, 05:47 AM.

Comment

Lachlan Morton was the other rider doing this. He started the one hour behind the tour, and rode unassisted, including the transit stages. He's finished and raised almost $475,000 for charity.
                  I wasn't following his ride. I became aware of Jack Thompson's ride starting 10 days into the tour and am following that one.
                  Here's a Lachlan Morton page. He's a pro rider on one of the TDF teams, but did this instead this year.
                  https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoo...eally-awesome/
                  So there is more than one, and maybe L. Mortons ride will turn out to be the more impressive of the two.

Comment

In one day Jack did 2 mountain stages. He's almost 300k ahead of the race, and will ride into Paris tomorrow. Fans are getting in place to watch the TDF come by and are cheering him on.
                    I wonder what color jersey he will be wearing?
                    Here's the link to his page again.

Comment

He's not quite done yet. But some nice photos up on the website. 400k ahead of the race now.

Comment

He's done it. Nice photos in Paris, no stats or bar graph updates yet.
                        But now I can stop bumping this non E bike thread!

Comment

• Mike_V
                          Mike_V commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks, He's great
                      Working...
                      X