Metal shaving in headset on X-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metal shaving in headset on X-1

I have had the X-1 for a couple months and just started to hear the headset making grinding noises. Decided to open the headset and take a look. The lower bearing was covered in metal shavings. I took pictures and sent a support ticket in to Luna. I wanted to know if this is an issue others have had on their Luna X-1? It looks like metal shavings from the cut steerer tube. Almost no grease either.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture0003-steerer.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	133664

Hard to tell from that pic, but that is a sealed lower headset bearing...correct? And if it is sealed, should you really be able to see much grease? Maybe the grinding you're hearing isn't from the bearing itself but from the lower race or just the interface between the bearing and the headtube grinding with all those shavings in there. Did someone cut the steerer tube with a power tool or hacksaw while the steerer had the bearing mounted down at the bottom of the steerer. Just spitballing here. Even then it seems hard for that many shavings to get there. But from that pic it certainly looks like shavings from above falling on the sealed bearing at the bottom...somehow.

Comment

Same thing on my brand new X-1. Got it last week, the motor was making a horrible clanking noise right out of the Box. Luna sent me a replacement motor. I put that in and took the bike to my LBS to go thru it. The bike was shipped dry and the headset had metal shavings. They said the top bearing was the wrong and they replaced it.

Comment

I'll ask again...is that a sealed bearing?

Comment

It's the bearing set that came with the bike. I would say yes sealed bearing set. My LBS took the headset apart and verified no damage. Re-greased and put back together. No more issues.

Comment

Originally posted by potluck99 View Post
            Same thing on my brand new X-1. Got it last week, the motor was making a horrible clanking noise right out of the Box. Luna sent me a replacement motor. I put that in and took the bike to my LBS to go thru it. The bike was shipped dry and the headset had metal shavings. They said the top bearing was the wrong and they replaced it.
            Thanks potluck99 I was sure I was not the only one with the metal on the bearings issue. Factory build issue should not have happened. Hope Luna can get to the bottom of it. Sad to find out Luna support seemed to be suprised and never saw it before. Shit happens document it and you have happy customers!

Comment

Hey IOUZIP,

How’s your X1 lately? Are you a happy Luna Cycle owner? I ask because I want to be a Luna Cycle customer! Hopefully there were no more problems with your ride! I want to get an Apollo but they say they are several months away….they do say they are going to have X1’s in a few weeks.

Please let me know your current thoughts on your bike.

Thanks,
              Larry

Comment

This is my first mountain bike. I had not road any bike for 30 years. It does everything I need it to. This started with COVID as my way to get outside. At 54 I expect to keep riding beyond COVID. I have a Juiced Fat tire hardtail with a 750w Bafang rear hub motor. It was my first entry into trail riding and the Luna X1 has me riding every weekend now. I did expect to have some problems with a low volume ebike but it keeps me busy. My brother just picked up an X1 last month and is also really happy with the bike. We all change , tweak and fix parts on the bike and it has been a big learning experience.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I went to Sea Otter, Monterey California this last Friday hoping to see lots of E-Bikes....But there were very few.....mostly regular Mt Bike stuff. I did see a X1 being used as a display for a Trailer system. I hope the X1's come in soon before all the cool weather riding is over...I'm really excited to get one.

Comment

Working...
                  X