Tire options for 26x4 wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire options for 26x4 wheels

I have some Kenda 26x4 tires that will need replacing soonish. What's the smallest tire I can get away with on my wheels and inner tubes? Would a 26x3 or 3.5 work?

Depends on rim width

If you don't mind, why go smaller?

FWIW the kendas are likely not good tires and there's almost certainly much better options

Comment

Yes how wide the rims are are a factor. If you have 80-100+ wide rims which are pretty much the norm now on fat bikes you can't really go any narrower than the rim. For reference 80mm is just over 3" and 100mm is around 4". Another important question is what sort of riding and terrain are you doing? There are now more options for more of a street tire now in fat sizes if you are mostly on pavement.

Comment

I ride on asphalt almost exclusively. I'm looking for a smooth ride with plenty of grip.

"If you don't mind, why go smaller?"

It's an aesthetic thing, 100%.

Comment

• AZguy
          AZguy commented
          Editing a comment
          Frankly I think air pressure will make more difference than tread pattern - just run them near maximum for lowest rolling resistance... it does come at the cost of poorer ride quality LOL... no free lunch I suppose

• FATtire
          FATtire commented
          Editing a comment
          Which tires do you run?

• AZguy
          AZguy commented
          Editing a comment
          I've run many and have a couple of bikes - the ones presently on my BBSHD build are maxxis minion fbr on the rear, fbf on the front (26x4.8")... outstanding tires IMO but likely far more aggressive than you are looking for, they are hard core knobby... I've got some sort of 4" vee tire on my rear hub bike that are made for lower rolling resistance and while much better than the juggernauts I'm not super impressed by them, they aren't as good at low pressures that I run... they are likely better suited for your type of use albeit still more aggressive than you are prolly looking for

Origin8 SuperCell 26x4 looks like a pretty good fat street tire but its no longer on their site so has apparently been discontinued. It does look like there are still some in stock some places. It actually looks like they have dropped all but a few 700c tires. Wonder if they just gave up last year with supply issues or are they getting out of the tire biz?

Teravail Coronado 26x4 is marketed as a supple summer tire. Its still a knobby but doesn't look as aggressive as most.

Vee Rubber has the Speedster 26x3.5 which may fit a 80mm rim. Its got knobs that I would call more of a texture so would have to be pretty smooth on pavement.

Vee Rubber also has the ZizZag 26x4 which looks more like a car tire. Has to be pretty smooth on pavement but the grooves probably do alright at displacing water at lower speeds.

Comment

• FATtire
          FATtire commented
          Editing a comment
          The good news is that it doesn't rain anymore so wet weather isn't even a concern! Haha. Ha? I'm leaning towards the Coronado.

I found some origin 8 supercells at bicyclebuys (yikes) but they were the only game in town for the supercells. Fortunately I already have a tracking number and should be getting them Thursday. Through A LOT of research, you can fit tires all the way down to 2.5" with the right tubes, but I don't recommend doing so. Your bike will look like 'it skipped leg day' and you'll be riding on the sidewalls. If you live in SoCal for example, some Duro beach bums (26x3) are a decent slick tire. Other than that, all you have are the Vee tires, which seem to be strictly street tires. I am excited to see what lower rolling resistance will do for my battery life.

Comment

Originally posted by FATtire View Post
          I found some origin 8 supercells at bicyclebuys (yikes) but they were the only game in town for the supercells. Fortunately I already have a tracking number and should be getting them Thursday. Through A LOT of research, you can fit tires all the way down to 2.5" with the right tubes, but I don't recommend doing so. Your bike will look like 'it skipped leg day' and you'll be riding on the sidewalls. If you live in SoCal for example, some Duro beach bums (26x3) are a decent slick tire. Other than that, all you have are the Vee tires, which seem to be strictly street tires. I am excited to see what lower rolling resistance will do for my battery life.
          I have been avoiding this thread because the tires I like are no longer available. Here is a thread of a build of mine. Start at post #41. https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...ctra-fat/page3 I have a set of supercells. They are nice tires and very quiet and smooth. They are prone to self steering with lower pressures though and they are not the most efficient tire.

The Maxxis Mammoths are so efficient it is like magic however they are no longer available. Last year when I realized that supplies were limited I visited eBay every few days looking for NOS. I was able to buy 4 more so I have a total of 6. That should last me a few years.

Comment

• FATtire
            FATtire commented
            Editing a comment
            Those are some good looking tires! The mammoths didn't pop up once during any of my google searches. Hopefully in a year, parts start getting restocked again.

The supercells arrived and wow. It's like the bike is 30 pounds lighter! I can corner way faster, and doing the hill bomb test I hit 37mph before my eyes started watering from the speed. 33mph was the old standard in a full aero-tuck. The bike went from being a tractor on two wheels to feeling like a Ducati. I have them pumped up pretty high and I'm not having any auto-steer issues. Click image for larger version

Name:	240482256_339797921210327_6142321147590982295_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=ae9488&_nc_ohc=rSmmKBBYyLYAX9AVm6j&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=1747d847b20e2ac225b70e63cd362ed0&oe=6159D3E4.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	141735

Comment

• hoggdoc
            hoggdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Do you mind sharing what you paid for those tires. I have the same bike as you and was surprised how much these 4" tires cost.

• FATtire
            FATtire commented
            Editing a comment
            I believe they were $159.xx from bicyclebuys.com. I got the wire bead; the cheaper option.

I have never ridden them myself, only seen them in photos but to me they look like a great option for a fat bike that is mostly ridden on pavement. Hopefully they are not discontinued but I could not find them on the Origin 8 site so that can't be a good sign. If you want some better snatch them up quick while there is still some stock floating around. Fat bikes are so popular especially in the E world that you would think there would be more street tire options for them.

Comment

• FATtire
            FATtire commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm hoping it's a covid thing. The bargain basement freewheel I bought has doubled in price... (Drift maniac 11-34t)

• FATtire
            FATtire commented
            Editing a comment
            I think no matter what you ride, we can all agree the Kenda Juggernauts are junk lol.

• AZguy
            AZguy commented
            Editing a comment
            What a difference a tire makes

Originally posted by 73Eldo View Post
          I have never ridden them myself, only seen them in photos but to me they look like a great option for a fat bike that is mostly ridden on pavement. Hopefully they are not discontinued but I could not find them on the Origin 8 site so that can't be a good sign. If you want some better snatch them up quick while there is still some stock floating around. Fat bikes are so popular especially in the E world that you would think there would be more street tire options for them.
          Amazon has them. https://www.amazon.com/Origin8-Super.../dp/B012EIXCWI

Comment

• AZguy
            AZguy commented
            Editing a comment
            We sure don't want to mention that mere 20% tariffs on chinese goods catching up ;-}

• calfee20
            calfee20 commented
            Editing a comment
            I bought a bunch of stock a couple of years ago so I wouldn't get caught with tariffs or lack of parts. I had a couple of controllers that didn't pan out so I am not fat on those.

• AZguy
            AZguy commented
            Editing a comment
            I typically start shopping for the stuff with finite service life the moment I put that stuff on... keep shopping until I find a deal and so there they set until needed... these days it's just a fresh chain and tires... got lucky on a set of tires, found them right after putting the present set on for excellent price and I'm really amazed at how long the present set is going... At about 1000mi on them and they show very little wear - didn't expect that! All my past sets were getting a bit shaggy around 1500mi..
        Working...
        X