Car Hitch bike rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Hitch bike rack

Looking for a way to transport my Fat tire e-bike. My challenge is my driveway is very steep where is hits the road and regular cars can't even come up with scraping. my SUVs, and trucks are fine. So I'm thinking those motorcycle type carriers would work if they didn't stick out so far from the hitch. That departure angle won't work. Any suggestions?

Sounds like you will have to do something like park at the worst spot on your driveway then measure how far you can stick out of the hitch then head to a bike park (where there would be a lot of different racks) and see if any of them fall within that range. There are several that raise up fairly soon after the hitch tube. I have an older Hollywood and a 1UP USA and I think both of those the bike ends up after and higher than the hitch tube.

Comment

I believe this is a six inch lift. There are more out-there, but this is how I improved the departure angle on the back of my car. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210910_132502.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	797.7 KB
ID:	144974
      May the sound of your foot steps scare the pa-gee-bees out of Satan, EVERYDAY!

Comment

Home made, About an hour or two work, get a local welder to custom fit it for your app. Easy peasy!

Comment

I have read the review on best bike rack for suv and I have leaned alot which one to buy.

Comment

FWIW: My Prius rack captures the tires, two straps with quick links locks them down. Then an old sofa cushion (Goodwill, $1.00) is placed between the bike and the hatch rear, then a rope, secured to the rear windshield wiper base, (not on the wiper but the mechanism stub the wiper attaches to,) so good and solid cinches up the bike nice and snug while the cushion protects the car. This wiper rope, plus a strap hooked into the hatch top, double secures things. Off and on in about 1 minute or less, thousands of miles driven so far, and not one scratch on the car. IF I didn't have that rear wiper attach point, the entire scheme wouldn't work! Pretty funny as I never use the rear wiper base for anything but securing the bike. I am amazed on the trick engineering and hardware on some of the store bought racks, it shouldn't be a problem going that route, they have them pretty well all figured out. Mine is crude in comparison, but it works great. The sleek Prius looks funny as hell with a muddy fatbike on it's ass end, I call the combo Beauty and the Beast. I built a similar rack for when I'm doing crane work someplace I want to ride.

Comment

What did you choose finally? Take a look at KAC racks(this is an example), or search for info about them. There are various options for 1 to 4 bikes transportation
              Last edited by RobRi; 12-19-2021, 06:44 PM.

Comment

I think I looked at every hitch mounted bike rack online. I was about to order the 1UP rack until I came across the Quik Rack Mach2. It checked all the boxes for me. It was more than I wanted to spend and the most expensive at almost $1k, but it will probably be the last one I'll have to buy.

Comment

• paxtana
                  paxtana commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I would totally get one of those if I had not already bought a trailer for the same price, the engineering looks quite impressive

• 73Eldo
                  73Eldo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Other than the 'tool less' installation what makes the quick rack better than the 1up? Or was the $1000 for 4? I think if you do 4 the 1up is that expensive too.

This $100.00 Click image for larger version

Name:	100_dollar_hitch_rack.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	262.8 KB
ID:	146040 steel 'Black Widow' hitch rack can easily be modified , cut, bolted, or welded to fit most eBikes

Comment

I have this one.

One word........

HEAVY !

A few more words....very little ground clearance.
                  Even though I have this one, I don't think it's ideal for a lightweight bicycle.
                  I use it to carry mopeds and small motorcycles.
                  I would MUCH prefer a lighter weight carrier with better ground clearance.
                  Last edited by MemberOfDistinction; 12-30-2021, 09:36 PM.

Comment

• 73Eldo
                    73Eldo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    So probably OK for more of a truck sort of application where the hitch is higher off the ground but a problem for most cars where its much lower?

• MemberOfDistinction
                    MemberOfDistinction commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have mine on a minivan which I thought sat up pretty good when empty.. I scrape that thing on the ground a lot coming in and out of driveways etc.

Originally posted by CPG View Post
                  Home made, About an hour or two work, get a local welder to custom fit it for your app. Easy peasy!
                  that is an awesome photo

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_V View Post
                    This $100.00 Click image for larger version

Name:	100_dollar_hitch_rack.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	262.8 KB
ID:	146040 steel 'Black Widow' hitch rack can easily be modified , cut, bolted, or welded to fit most eBikes
                    Harbor freight has an Aluminum version. I have the steel one and yes Heavy. The Aluminum is in future plans. https://www.harborfreight.com/400-lb...ier-62837.html

Comment

No ratchet teeth to wear down and the modular form making it quick and easy to go from a 1 bike rack to 3 when needed. There were a few other things I don't quite remember right now but it's worth it for me.

Other than the 'tool less' installation what makes the quick rack better than the 1up? Or was the $1000 for 4? I think if you do 4 the 1up is that expensive too.

Comment

Working...
                      X