Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Battery mounted on the rear bike rack is a bad idea...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPG
    replied
    I like somewhat high density foam, similar to the yoga mat stuff, with a super thin layer of aircraft plywood (scrap pieces, multi ply, very strong for it's weight, plus free) over the foam. The plywood handles the mechanical loads, spreads it out anyway, of the 3 straps that secure my padded bag from my bikes horizontal tube. It's a compromise between binding a battery down tight enough to not slop around, and experience g forces, versus the securing method itself causing damage. Movement is the enemy, but restraining that movement properly is the trick. 2000+ miles plus now, with a lot of very rough trail riding, so far so good.

Leave a comment:

• New Mariner
    replied
    Rubber mounts would be a good thing to have by default for all post mounted batteries

Leave a comment:

• Louis
    replied
    Some rubber padding under the mount is useful. Some packs shipped with rubber mounts.

Leave a comment:

• HarryS
    replied
    My Luna Dolphin on the downtube would rattle on bumps. I lived with it, thinking the cradle was loose on my bike, but my wife complained when I put it on her bike. Turned out the foam padding inside the case had shrunk, and the batteries were moving. Yikes. I repacked it.

When I first installed the BBS02 on another bike, I would mount that repacked Dolphin on the rear rack with bungee cords. It did indeed smack the rack on bumps, so I put thawed out soft freeze packs under it, and everything in a battery bag. That worked out until I bought a rack battery.

Leave a comment:

• Louis
    replied
    Originally posted by pcliteuser View Post
    battery on downtube is also bad idea well atleast for those who do offroad / trails, i damaged mine and now i put my battery in my backpack and its upside down orientation.
    I think that some cases are better than others. I find the Dolphin to be most durable and mine have survived several falls and drops. I have 4 with varying cells. Much stouter build than the others.

Leave a comment:

• edrios3
    commented on 's reply
    I also broke the battery plastic tabs since then I use 3 pieces of velcro one on top in the thinner part of the battery another one connecting the top one the one on the lower part of the battery this prevent vibration

• OptimusPrime
    commented on 's reply
    Glad I could be of assistance!

• 1 cog missing
    replied
    I use two layers of a 1/2" thick yoga mat under my batteries to protect them. The mat is similar to this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Crown-Sporting...t_sims?ie=UTF8

The actual one I used is no longer available. This one says 3/4" thick but the reviewers say it is only 1/2".

I've used it to add 2" height to my motorcycle seat, and I am thinking of adding a couple of layers to my bicycle seat.

I use allsport vinyl which stretches four ways to reupholster my seats.

Leave a comment:

• hammonkey
    commented on 's reply
    I agree, backpack is probably the best/safest route. Although, the wire should be connected where it can come loose easily if the rider happens to fall off. But thats also risky if the wire ending are exposed.

I say the downtube is good place because the shock coming from the tires (either front or back) gets less intense because of a fulcrum effect? I am not a physicist but it seems to dampen the shock. I also put a huge blob of putty underneath the battery mount.

• hammonkey
    replied
    I followed OpimiusPrime's suggestion by jump starting it with the anderson connectors...Its alive!!!

Leave a comment:

• hammonkey
    commented on 's reply
    You saved my battery!!!!! Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

• calfee20
    replied
    I have been worried about this. Every once in a while the bike gets a heck of a jolt. Maybe I can suspend my pack under a luggage rack..........hummmmm

Leave a comment:

• pcliteuser
    replied
    battery on downtube is also bad idea well atleast for those who do offroad / trails, i damaged mine and now i put my battery in my backpack and its upside down orientation.

just to give you an idea, here is what happened to my downtube mounted bottle battery pack.

I opened the base where the switch is located: Click image for larger version

Name:	20160811_193942.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	255.4 KB
ID:	14044

shattered pieces inside making annoying sound.

not to mention the top part where bms is installed: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AkfKtrEULtPWsDvfjUaFf4MGptMW
    because of that lots of problem will arise, errors everywhere and for a noob like me? oh man sleepless nights :(
    Last edited by pcliteuser; 08-11-2016, 10:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• OptimusPrime
    replied
    You may just have tripped the BMS and it can be reset, those are the exact symptoms of a tripped BMS. The Shark packs have a nasty habit of tripping out with the least provocation. Here is the procedure
    http://lunacycle.com/jumping-your-lu...-battery-pack/

Leave a comment:

• hammonkey
    replied
    No, I tested the positive and negative on the battery output (the 4 terminals outside of the shark pack) and there was no voltage. Also, there was voltage with the Positive inside the pack to the grounds, but not on the BMS.

I am not sure how physical shock can dismay the circuitry of the BMS. The cells seems to be good (not conclusive as I did not tested each cell). I will be breaking the pack apart once I get myself a spot welder to salvage and make my own.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X