Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good topic, thanks Arboh.

--

I guess a bell will sound more polite and be easier to interpret than my usual 'passing on your left', now that I think about it. Also, a lot of people seem to confuse left and right, and step where I just announced I'm going. OK, I'm adding bells.

--

I like to say thanks to the people who move over and wait for me to pass. Which a lot seem to do.

I keep my headlight loose enough so I can aim lower when appropriate, and if it's still shining on folks, I'll even hold my hand in front of it to shield their eyes.

If I'm following someone and they hear me, and pick up their pace to not get passed, I'll fall back. Or pass quickly. But I try not to just hang close behind, inadvertently 'teasing' them until they finally get winded and slow down. THAT seems like cheating, and is kinda mean. It took me a while to figure out riders do this. And it's SO easy to let them just work and work to stay ahead, without realizing you've sped up to match their pace. Don't do that.
    Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

My airzound is located well enough that I don't ever have to look for it. I use it VERY rarely, but when I do it's extremely effective. Even though I'm a stroke survivor with a lousy memory I check the level often enough to always have enough air. Just another routine in the maintenance of a eBike. I think it, or a comparable is an important tool for riding in traffic at higher speeds. I only have it mounted on my fastest bike. My bike trail eBikes are all under 20MPH and usually ridden on walking and bike paths where a 90dcb bell is my preferred warning device. No need for a Airzound there.I'd trade

Comment

The AirZound is good when you need the loudness, but would be rude on a bike trail. Having both is a good option.
        Alan B

Comment

Originally posted by Alan B View Post
          The AirZound is good when you need the loudness, but would be rude on a bike trail. Having both is a good option.
          It would scare people on he bike paths! Although there are occasions when the 4 abreast ladies walking clutch could use some common sense and move just a little quicker.

Comment

I was ebiking with some friends on one of the rail paths, and there were some walkers about 50 yards ahead, way too far to talk to yet. The lead rider in our group was communicating with folks on the trail as we approached and we weren't going fast. But in this case we were much too far away, and they were facing away from us. My rim brakes made a screech as we descended slightly and one of the walkers tried to jump out of her shoes. We were too far away to talk to then, but when we approached she chewed us out for not warning them. Some folks are never happy.

The screeching rim brake has been very effective at letting folks know I'm there.

It is best to let folks know well before you get there. I try to make some noise such as a bell, at a long distance, like half a block. Ebikes are really quiet and can really surprise people. Maybe a Tangent drive would be good, a screaming Astro and gear chain continuously announcing your presence, at least when on throttle. But then I might need hearing protection... :)
            Alan B

Comment

Funny story. That's exactly why I don't have one of those mid drives. I wear Apple hearing aids and the sound frequency of the LR and Tangent is unbearable. Nice motors but not my cuppa.

Comment

Wow, great stories and inputs. Really helpful to me, I hope it is to others as well. Considering my own experiences, and what I have heard from the rest of the Lunatics on this thread, I am thinking that I should get some sort of horn for street use. I have and use an Incredibel. Quite effective on bike paths... Like others have said, Giving people enough warning that you are approaching (in a reasonable way) is key.. OF course there are those people that are just looking for a reason to be upset... Not much you can do there... But, back to the horn.... I do need something louder than a bell for the road part of my commute. Some drivers think that the bike lane is just extra room for them to drive in. That said... the AirZound looks to bulky for my taste... I considered the small air horns that boaters use as hand held backup units... Like the size of a can of travel shave cream... but those are too loud and to hard to mount and use.
                Has anybody used a small horn from a car or motorcycle...or scooter? Of course, need to feed it 12-15 volts..... Other ideas?

One more thought ... not so much on etiquette, but on safety. It occurred to me while I was riding to work today that commuting on streets is like being an ant on an air-hockey table. :eek:
                The pucks are WAY bigger than we are, moving faster, in only semi-predictable ways........Not to take the joy out of your ride... but if you think of cars as giant bike crushing pucks, you might avoid an accident or two. ;)

Comment

I generally consider myself a fighter pilot - and everyone else is aiming for me. You need to see them first and plot a safe course through the battle zone.
                  Alan B

Comment

A 3S Lipo and a small car or motorcycle horn is another choice. They draw a LOT of current so an FET switch or relay would be advisable, and it is too much current for most 12V converters.
                    Alan B

Comment

I found a 48V horn. There was a sale and they were $3.13 delivered. Of course it too 4 weeks, but I'll be damned if it doesn't work great. Price has gone up.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/EV-48...3-515eeafa94b3

Comment

A 48V horn would be very loud on my 66V bike. :)
                        Alan B

Comment

I think combination of nice bell and then obnoxious yell are good mix for safety and etiquette ...when you are riding in bike element like bike lanes...bell is nice.... to bing at other bikers.

But Cars you need to holler and yell...... and that is not bad etiquette.

Everyone knows that bicyclists are not given enough respect from motorists and you have a right to yell hey if they dont see you.

Its life or death when mingling with cars and you have two advantages.... one you are more mobile...and two you can holler and everyone hear you (dont need horn)

Comment

Maybe we need a horn ... that sounds like a gunshot, like that alarm that somebody made that uses blanks. Only do it electronically so you don't run out of ... shots. :)
                            Alan B

Comment

Paintball gun??

Comment

It would be so satisfying to tag the bad ones.
                                Alan B

Comment

Working...
                                X