Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arboh
    replied
    Thanks for sharing... Hearing others experiences and perspectives helps me adjust my own strategies. BTW... Kudos for blowing past the gas rig. IMO those are an abomination. Noisy and smelly... Hmm, kind of like me :-)

Leave a comment:

• BikeB4Drive
    replied
    I've been commuting since December 2015, I've put 1150 miles (26 miles round-trip) on my BBSHD with 52V PF Dolphin pack and the drive/battery are still going strong. I've been meaning to get a bell but hollering out some ways back and then again when I get close and then saying thank you when I pass rarely gets a negative reaction. Even if I get a reaction I can hardly hear it over the wind noise. I have had some trouble with people (bike or pedestrian) who don't hear me either because of hearing damage, wind or they are using headphones. I have no respect for people using headphones on the paths either walking or riding, that's plain stupid. I usually slow down for traffic either on the trail, pedestrians, or intersections but I don't stop if I can help it as I’m going for speed and efficiency. I never bolt into traffic and I ride the same route every time as I'm generally only commuting with my rig (paniers, big lights, skinny road tires, heavy bike). I think you can get away with going fast on a route you know well so long as you yield to everything else. I’m also not afraid to take command of a road lane, I use mirrors and hand signals (I started with a tail/turn signal light/laser lane marker rig but it was annoying to work with) and I always go hard to keep up with traffic. I would never ride in a lane with a long line of cars behind me, that’s not respectful of others time.
    I did encounter a gas powered bike conversion on my ride one day going up the mountain. I caught and passed him and thought to warn him like I usually do but I know he turned and looked at me and it was loud and stinky and I thought passing him at as high a speed as I could said plenty. He was startled by how fast I overtook him since the last point he saw me. I was pedaling hard, I hope it didn’t look like I was a cyclist, hopefully he will convert to an e-bike before he ruins trail use for everyone.

Leave a comment:

• Arboh
    replied
    I want one.

On another "note" (pun intended).. I was commuting this morning for the first time on my HD upgrade (wow !) Was on a paved bike trail and came upon a guy that was walking a literal herd... must have been at least six of them...dachshunds. They were wandering all over like a cattle drive gone bad...in miniature. I was so fascinated that I slowed way down to observe...and so as not to smash any of the little critters. The owner was so pleased that I slowed down that he smiled and gave me a big thumbs up. This offsets the guy that yelled at me for not using a bell....when I did.

Leave a comment:

• JPLabs
    replied
    Originally posted by KBilly View Post
    I have an Oi on order. I hope it'll be loud enough. I definitely need a bell as it doesn't feel cool creeping up on people from behind.

That's really cool!

I just added Incredibell originals to both bikes. Nice, pretty small. But that's beautiful. And sounds better.

Leave a comment:

• KBilly
    replied
    I have an Oi on order. I hope it'll be loud enough. I definitely need a bell as it doesn't feel cool creeping up on people from behind.

Knog is raising funds for "Oi" - The bike bell that doesn't look like a bike bell on Kickstarter! Bike bells generally look and sound a bit ugly. But why? What if they looked sexy and sounded like an angel playing a glockenspiel?

Leave a comment:

• Arboh
    replied
    Hey... What happened to my leather holstered paintball gun fantasy?
    Okay.. Let's be serious.
    e-biking provides two "value adds" to society
    1) It gets people out of the house and onto the trails for recreation and exercise
    2) In the case of commuting, it gets cars off the road.
    Two different value propositions. Both real and valid.

Since I commute to work more that I go trail riding, I mix daily with a lot of the same t-bikers. What I have found to be really helpful is to be friendly and open with them. Show them my bike. Tell them why I ride it and the benefits. Talk to them about the challenges.

Leave a comment:

• JPLabs
    replied
    That triggers another thought about interactions with cyclists. If you get into a conversation, don't just say you are 'out cruising' but rather 'going to xxx destination'. Subtle, but implies mode of transport, as opposed to thrill rider. Both are accurate, but the implication is quite different.

Leave a comment:

• Eric Luna
    replied
    I think i can understand the point of those hikers and mountain bikers etc.... ebike loses its strong argument of one less car once its on a mountain bike recreation trail.... its no longer a mode of transportation just a thrill ride.... i am not saying i agree with the argument but i understand the argument.

Leave a comment:

• Arboh
    replied
    Oh yeah....Im thinking of a leather holster on the side of my bike. Mad Max style.

Leave a comment:

• Ein
    replied
    In my neck of the woods, two large parks that are great for mountain biking have banned Ebikes. Their basis, Ebikes are really electric motorcycles. Whether you agree or not, isn't the point. There are purists out there that really don't like Ebikes. IMO, respect is the key word. You are bound to irritate zipping by hikers at 30 mph!

Leave a comment:

• WebEsquire
    replied
    ebikes and EMP, what could possibly go wrong?

Leave a comment:

• Alan B
    replied
    But it would be safer to use EMP and just pop their electronics. :mad:

Leave a comment:

• Alan B
    replied
    It would be so satisfying to tag the bad ones.

Leave a comment:

• Arboh
    replied
    Paintball gun??

Leave a comment:

• Alan B
    replied
    Maybe we need a horn ... that sounds like a gunshot, like that alarm that somebody made that uses blanks. Only do it electronically so you don't run out of ... shots. :)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X