Dangerous.... Dirt bikes vs ATV`s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dangerous.... Dirt bikes vs ATV`s

Some general information we all need to know.
    • Dirt Bikes Are Safer than Quads This fact surprises many people, but it is true that the death rate from ATV riding is significantly higher than that of dirt bikes.
    Dirt bike or four wheeler which is safer? (ATV vs dirt ...

John Hopkins University research into ATV accidents In the US during the years 1997 to 2006 summary:
    Victims of ATV crashes were 50% more likely to die of their injuries than similarly injured victims of dirt bike crashes.
    • Four-wheeler ATV victims were 55% more likely to be admitted to a hospital’s intensive-care unit than injured dirt bike riders.
    • ATV victims are 42% more likely to be placed on a ventilator after an accident than dirt bike riders.
    • Hospitalisations for four-wheeler ATV injuries increased 150% among youths younger than 18 years.
    • An increase of 250% in females ages 15 to 37 experienced the sharpest rise in ATV hospitalisations.
    • However, males between 15 to 75 have the highest rate of ATV hospitalisation overall.
    • because victims of ATV crashes are more likely to die or suffer serious trauma than those in similar accidents involving dirt bikes.
    • Dirt Bikes Are More of an Adrenaline Rush
      ATVs just aren’t made for adrenaline. Sure, you can go fast in a straight line just like you can on a dirt bike; however, jumping an ATV is nothing like jumping a lightweight dirt bike. Cornering on a dirt bike is much faster than an ATV as well.

The fact is that dirt bikes are a far better adrenaline sport than ATVs. ATVs can certainly be ridden hard, but most of the time they are not.

ATVs can only go "over the high side". This puts you in a head first collision where neck injuries are most likely. Helmets don't help much.
    Going fast in an ATV is stupid. It's a motorized wheelbarrow.

Comment

• Retrorockit
      Retrorockit commented
      Editing a comment
      With the vehicle on top.

If you don't lean it to turn it.... <yawn>

My greatest problem with ATV's are those with moto handlebars... I've got waaaaay too much muscle memory and so I really have to be out ahead and concentrating on how to turn them - if I react "naturally" they always go the opposite direction... those larger serious ones with steering wheels, harnesses, roll bars and decent to long travel are completely different animals and definitely made for speed... Still the kinesthetics aren't anything like a bike or moto... OTOH the RZR XP 1000 is very capable of going *very fast* on rough stuff (110hp, 20"travel) and if someone wants to give me one I've got room for it

Click image for larger version

Name:	rzr-xp-1000-media-1-thumb-lg.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	141919

Comment

The weight of the vehicle makes a difference. Quads are much heavier. I also think that a 2 wheeler provides more feedback to the operator, making accident avoidance easier.
      "I need another SimuLatte"

Comment

Working...
      X