NO ebikes....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NO ebikes....

I saw this at West Yellowstone this weekend, Forest Service ground though not IN the Park. Last time I was there, a couple years ago, I rode the trails (big whoop, not really that good of a ride, maybe it's better on skis). I would be very interested to find out (but won't bother) if the sign was put up in anticipation of "problems", or as a result of real problems that happened. Like speeding e bikers running down hikers, or something.....bet it's the prior, someone got their panties in a wad, maybe a lycra wearing Ranger who knows. Pedal power bikes still allowed, but it is not used by them anyway, at least I've never seen any there, it's just not a big attraction and I'm surprised to see they even bothered to put the sign up.

Interesting that its not an especially official or permanent looking sign. Seems more likely that it was maybe done by a a local person that may or may not have the actual authority to do something like that. Did you see the thing on Bolton's site he posted a few weeks ago about a city meeting in his area where all they were supposed to be doing is approving the money to continue proposing a trail. The agenda at the time was just to vote yes or no on funding to continue the study, nothing to do with detailed trail design or use. I think he said it turned into several hours about arguing if e bikes would be allowed. At least a few of the board or council or what ever it was members seemed to understand that but the rest kept swinging it back to e bikes. Good thing I guess was that there were people there for ebikes, it wasn't a one sided thing that just got passed.

Comment

• Retrorockit
      Retrorockit commented
      Editing a comment
      In my area pedal bikes are being banned form "multi use" trails. The horse owners get together and overrule the county planning to include bike trails by changing the city zoning to equestrian use only. Or allow sections of the trail to become private property.

Originally posted by 73Eldo View Post
    Interesting that its not an especially official or permanent looking sign. Seems more likely that it was maybe done by a a local person that may or may not have the actual authority ...
    At first glance I thought that, too... but there is a phone number at the bottom, so I guess it could be resolved by a quick call. Somewhat like the time my neighborhood got peppered by "No Parking" signs made with poster board and wooden stakes about 2 ft high. I called the city, but they confirmed it was legit, temporary 'no parking' - street crews were sealing asphalt cracks in the area so wanted the streets clear.

Comment

They allow snowmobile riding in Yellowstone in the winter. it seems silly for them to ban e-bikes that produce significantly let power and weigh far less.
      "My favorite childhood memory is Having Energyā€¯ -Libby Harper

Comment

Originally posted by Wheelbender6 View Post
      They allow snowmobile riding in Yellowstone in the winter. it seems silly for them to ban e-bikes that produce significantly let power and weigh far less.
      EXACTLY!!!!!
      I keep forgetting to call, but haven't forgot, if that makes sense. I am going to play up the fact that I'm an old fart, and not a hooligan, and really try and pin "them" down as to exactly what incident, if any, caused the signage change.

Comment

I called today, and it went about like I figured it might. NO specific reason...., other then a vague statement that some ebikes are really electric motorcycles and they have no way to tell them apart. I got the strong impression that if I had bothered to ride the somewhat lame trail, on my BBSHD Montague conversion, and had gotten "caught", it would not have been a big deal at all, unless maybe if I was on a Sur-Ron.! The lady who answered was helpful but fairly clueless, she offered to have a ranger with more info get back to me but I passed on that. The main thing I wanted to find out, and did, was that there were NO big e bike incidents/accidents leading to the closure, just a CYA type deal by people looking to preserve their federal retirement package: "when in doubt, say no. " I have no problem with that, and also no problem using my own common sense as to where to ride.

Comment

Working...
        X