Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Options for electrifying a Yukon 2?

Hi,
    I want to build an electric fat bike. I am considering a Giant Yukon 2 as that is what my lbs has in stock currently. I had planned to use the BBSHD. My problem is this: When I went to my lbs to look at the Yukon 2, the tech measured the bottom bracket shell width to be approximately 137mm with press fit. As far as I know, the BBSHD is only built for up to 120mm bb width. Has anyone out there ever put a BBSHD on a Yukon 2? Do I have any options? Are there any aftermarket/3rd party, or adaptations I can consider? Other motor kits of similar spec that could work? Or other similar bikes, say 26x4 or larger, that I might consider that have a bb shell under 120mm? I appreciate any advice. BB width seems to be a difficult stat to come by sometimes without having the bike in front of you. Other bikes that I consider contenders would be, in no particular order, the Salsa Mukluk, Kona Wo, and Surly Wednesday, but as some of you probably well know, there is almost no stock to be had of any of those at the moment.
    Last edited by orm5408; 10-01-2021, 05:15 AM.

I can't find many decent pics of that bike but the ones I can see I would be concerned about how well the bbshd will clear the chainstays also. Looks like a pretty small stock chain ring that is tucked in there. Chainstay looks like it kicks out pretty quickly which isn't a good thing with a BBS. Even if the way the shop measured included external bearings which is common on fat bikes an extra 17mm seems like a heck of a lot.

Seems like there have been a Mukluk build or two. Not too long ago there was a Wednesday but he had some issues, I don't recall what they were. Seems like they were sort of odd ones and I don't recall ever hearing if he got them resolved. Seems like he was doing 2 bikes at the same time so I kinda got confused which one was having which problems. I got a Pugsley with a BBSHD on it and it fits and works fine but the Pug was kinda a wacky design when it came to how things aligned. I think the Wednesday is the same geometry but uses modern components so it would be completely different when it comes to fitting a BBS.

Comment

Looking for the same build. I have 100mm BBS02.

Comment

My Surly conversion (BBSHD, hot rodded, and a Rohloff hub, has worked out great. EXCEPT for the flat front tire I noticed about 10 minutes ago! My only issues have been replacing brake pads, fixing flats (tubeless, but still....) regular bike stuff.

Comment

• 73Eldo
          73Eldo commented
          Editing a comment
          You should be able to blame Bafang for that flat tire. If you didn't have the Bafang you would have not been out riding and you can't get a flat tire if the bike is hanging up in your garage so its clearly Bafang's fault.
      Working...
      X