The Sur Ron arrived!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Sur Ron arrived!

LUNA said late October, so getting it on the 19 th was a bonus. Not mine, I ordered it for a buddy who is a long time moto cross and then mountain bike rider, the last few years on a e bike. I came real close to getting one myself but it's just a bit too much motorcycle like for me, no pedals for one, and even heavier than my fat e bike, plus the whole "where can you ride it" thing. I also couldn't charge it while on the bumper rack of my Prius (like I do my BBSHD bikes) and going down the road, at least not without a major re-work of the Prius's electrical system. I can charge my BBSHD rides at 3 amps, that's it, any more and it draws too much power. Running the stock SR charger, which puts out 10 amps DC isn't going to happen with the 400 watt inverter I am limited to. The new SR rider has only ridden store bought pedal assist mountain bikes, nothing like my tweaked fattie and nothing with a throttle. When he was trying to talk me into also getting a SR, I told him I already had a light electric motorcycle!

Nice! Bet that was fun loading that into an SUV. I got my brother one and he ended up taking off both wheels to fit it into his sedan for a cross country road trip, couldn't believe he managed to get it in there.

Comment

Lets just say he was real motivated, and it was a one time deal. We did talk a bit about how my Prius's homemade bike rack could be upgraded to handle the weight of a Sur Ron, about 40 pounds heavier than my current fattie. He'll keep it in town, and ride to the trail system we have here, and is hoping to avoid any scrutiny by LEO. He plans to stop running red lights and stop signs, like we do now on our reg. e bikes, and be as low key as possible. Not having pedals.....I'm still not onboard with that myself, kind of a whole different deal.

As to my charging while driving scenario, I haven't looked yet but I'd imagine a suitable charger, with an adjustable charge rate ideally, can be found that would allow me to use my current 400 watt 12 volt inverter off of the Prius's accessory battery, to at least get some charge into a Sur Ron. Right now one of my favorite things is to leave the bike charging while at a restaurant/coffee shop or wherever, while still on the car rack. It really opens up a lot of different opportunities, not being limited to a wall plug. Being a plug in Prius, it has a huge battery as compared to a standard model, so the engine may start once in an hour, for 2 or 3 minutes, nothing like idling a standard vehicle.

Comment

I hear kaniwaba makes a decent pedal system for it, even has some new version that adds pedal assist. Though from what I understand the assist can be spotty depending on the bike production run.

Comment

My friend has ridden his Sur-Ron over 20 miles and over 4K elevation gain, every day since he got it. All mountain trails, so far, real good.

Comment

Glad you figured it out... I generally poke around inside stuff that has quit working and so often figure it out - but after I've already come to the acceptance it may be dead Click image for larger version Name: lol.gif Views: 77 Size: 438 Bytes ID: 143935

Comment

Working...
            X