Tips For Riding At Night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips For Riding At Night

Riding an e-bike at night means you need to be more careful than during the day. From wearing the right clothes to planning your route, there are a few things you should be aware of before going out for a night ride.

1. Choose the right e-bike light and ride on familiar trails. The right light not only provides ample illumination of the road ahead of you, but also lets cars and other riders along the way know you're there. While maps can help you enjoy new routes, objects may appear new or different in their state at night, so it's important to ride familiar routes at night.

2. Dress appropriately and walk together. The more reflective clothing you wear, the better chance you have of standing out in the dark and staying safe. When riding an e-bike at night, it's best to go together. In an emergency, if something goes wrong or you have a mechanical problem, with a team you can be better assisted.

Welcome to actively add.

What the heck does this have to do with E bikes specifically? Are you some sort of AI robot algorithm?

Comment

• AOSTIRMOTOR
      AOSTIRMOTOR commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for your reply. In my opinion, even if it is an electric bicycle or other smaller car, it is necessary to pay attention to safety when traveling at night. After all, life comes first.

Originally posted by AOSTIRMOTOR View Post
    [

Welcome to actively add.
    What the heck does this mean ? (Welcome to actively add)

Comment

• 73Eldo
      73Eldo commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting that that bit is in a different font. Almost like some cut and paste going on?

• AOSTIRMOTOR
      AOSTIRMOTOR commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for your reply. I mean if you know other night riding dos and don'ts please add below, we can learn together.
      About the font it's because of my oversight, sorry. Please understand.

Why did you choose the user name of Aostrimotor?

Comment

Originally posted by Jessika99
      Wo seid Ihr eigentlich versichert?

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________
      https://www.kfz-versicherung-trotz-s...rung-wechseln/
      No thanks I`m not interested in European car insurance. This is an Electric bike forum.

Tips for riding at night...
      It might not be a bad idea to have insurance in case of a mishap or crash.

Comment

Originally posted by AOSTIRMOTOR View Post
        2.The more reflective clothing you wear, the better chance you have of standing out in the dark and staying safe. When riding an e-bike at night, it's best to go together. In an emergency, if something goes wrong or you have a mechanical problem, with a team you can be better assisted.
        I've found the more bright clothing i wear the better chance I have of getting caught. Go with someone else..... meh... when I drink by myself I prefer to be alone.

YMMV

Can you play the slide guitar when night riding ?
        Last edited by AltaBrad; 02-25-2022, 12:38 AM.

Comment

1- Get a good quality light. One with enough power to light your way in dark areas.
          2-Carry a 2nd one. A light with a dead battery or other failure is useless.
          3- Be aware that you can blind oncoming traffic. Aim it down.
          4- Have some reflectors but don't rely on them. They only work when you are already in the danger zone. They don't do anything in the dark. Understand this!
          5- Many tail lights don't have a built in reflector. Side lighting is a big plus.
          6- Avoid helmet lights for road use. They can blind and confuse drivers.
          7- Use a daytime strobe. For fast E bikes I like a fast strobe. It makes the right impression.

Comment

• AOSTIRMOTOR
            AOSTIRMOTOR commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow, thank you so much for the addition. It is very true that there are too many factors to pay attention to when riding at night, and we need to be very careful.

• Retrorockit
            Retrorockit commented
            Editing a comment
            I ride at night, alone, all the time. There is actually less traffic, and not as aggressive as during rush hour. Also the heat and humidity around here can be pretty intense during the summer, bit not too bad on an E bike. I see so many riders relying on reflectors that do nothing. One bicyclist in a reflective clown suit cut across the road in front of me. I didn't see him until he was in my headlight 3 feet in front of me.
            The problem with helmet lights is you may look over your shoulder for oncoming traffic, and a driver might think a vehicle has pulled out in front of them.Especially if he's drunk and speeding around a curve. But playing the blame game won't do you much good when confronted with an out of control plumbing van coming at you flipped on it's side. The "good" news is he just wiped out a row of parked cars. Nobody got seriously injured.
            Last edited by Retrorockit; 03-14-2022, 09:34 AM.

I've found the more bright clothing I wear the better chance I have of getting caught.
          Ride with others... meh... when I drink by myself I prefer to be alone.

Comment

• AOSTIRMOTOR
            AOSTIRMOTOR commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi, Retrorockit, you're right, bright clothes are desirable, it makes it easier for others to notice you. As for reflectors, I hope this problem can be improved.

• Retrorockit
            Retrorockit commented
            Editing a comment
            Reflectors can only work if there is light for them to reflect. The brightest ones send light back the way it came. Others are prisms that scatter it in any diredtion. But in the dark they all do nothing. Don't get me wrong. I have them all over my bike. Fork, tires front, and rear also. That way I can wear whatever I want. I also have them on my helmet. But I also understand that I may be invisible until I'm in the headlights of a car, unless I have lights also.Which I always do, day and night.
            My bike is silver, and I use silver reflective tape so the reflectors all over my bike actually blend in and no one notices them during the day. My XC bike has them also pinstripes blended into the existing graphics and on the braking surface of the rims which are disc brake also.Those tires don't have reflective sidewalls.
            I've been relying on reflectors for side "lighting" and that's a problem. I've just ordered a couple of amber side marker lights for my bike to resolve this.
            Last edited by Retrorockit; 03-17-2022, 10:10 AM.

• AOSTIRMOTOR
            AOSTIRMOTOR commented
            Editing a comment
            Ok, Retrorockit, I see what you mean, thank you very much for your comment.

I got the Blackburn Grid side marker lights. They're supposed to strap onto the fork legs with silicone rubber bands. I put mine on the top end of the down tube so I could reach the buttons, and the recharge cable could reach the USB on the battery. A longer cable and they would have been on the head tube.
          I took a first ride with them last night.
          1- Very bright in all 4 settings,2 steady, 2 strobe. Runtime varies from 1.5hr to 6hr.
          2- Having the controls close to hand doesn't matter. Too many settings,and 2 switches. You'll crash if you use them while riding. A longer charging cable will help get them back on the fork. I can turn them on w/o dismounting. That's about it.
          3- They throw a lot of light out the sides. Where I have them now it gets in my eyes and ruins my night vision. Some tape or black paint can fix this. IDK if this is an issues if they're on the fork or not.
          4- So far I have less cars running the light when waiting to cross a highway. Too small a sample so far but at least they know I'm there.
          5- The question is strobe vs steady. Steady you look like a normal vehicle. Maybe going on and off of the sidewalk for instance would be confusing? Strobe seems to define you as a bicycle or at least something other than "usual" traffic. This can be confusing also. Longest run time. if you're a take a lane kind of rider then steady would work. I wish switching were easier.
          6- Drivers on the far lanes when crossing a large high way seem to notice me better than before. When strobing the crosswalk at night I think now they know where it's coming from. I actually had a driver back up out of the crosswalk. First time that's ever happened!
          Blackburn has always been good about side lighting on their tail lights and headlights. But they haven't had the power, runtime or durability of the Niterider offroad products. Side light on headlights can be blocked by components on the handlebars. especially on an Ebike.

Lights are just so much better than reflectors. 40% of bicycle accidents happen at night. I would guess maybe 10% of the riding. Do the math.
          Last edited by Retrorockit; 03-20-2022, 07:54 AM.

Comment

• AOSTIRMOTOR
            AOSTIRMOTOR commented
            Editing a comment
            You are right. When we ride at night, we should be careful not to let that 40% fall on us, whether we are well prepared or not.

Originally posted by Retrorockit View Post
          40% of bicycle accidents happen at night. I would guess maybe 10% of the riding. Do the math.
          The math is simple.

I don't ride at night.

Comment

• AOSTIRMOTOR
            AOSTIRMOTOR commented
            Editing a comment
            Not cycling at night is also a good way to avoid accidents.

Actually around here there is almost no traffic at night. Especially if you know your side streets. If you have lights on all 4 sides it's pretty safe. Many cyclists have no lights, often no reflectors, and then ride all over the place at night. But depending on reflectors is wishful thinking. I usually try to ride out before rush hour. have dinner and hang out. Then ride home in the early evening after traffic has died down.
          All the videos for reflective products show a blank dark screen, then a light is shown and the reflector lights up. AMAZING! But run it backwards. The reflector is still there. But without the light it's invisible. AMAZING! Now you see it, now you don't.

Comment

• AOSTIRMOTOR
            AOSTIRMOTOR commented
            Editing a comment
            It's a good decision to ride before the rush hour and in the evening after the traffic stops, avoiding the noise and danger.

• Retrorockit
            Retrorockit commented
            Editing a comment
            Even when driving a car I used to sit it out in a restaurant. I'd get home about 10 minutes later then if I sat parked in the gridlock.

General Don't get old. Old eyes make night riding very sketchy.

Comment

• AZguy
            AZguy commented
            Editing a comment
            I see distance like an eagle but forget about up close

Night vision is good, none of those issues you mentioned

I suspect there's been slow degradation to it all over the decades but so slow not noticed... just makes sense tho

Out here with all the super high UV they say there are a lot of issues with cataracts and other things but I'm still good...

• Retrorockit
            Retrorockit commented
            Editing a comment
            Worked indoors and night shift. probably missed a lot of UV issues due to that..

• AOSTIRMOTOR
            AOSTIRMOTOR commented
            Editing a comment
            Staying in the office facing the computer every day, my eyes bear the burden it should not bear every day.
        Working...
        X