Shimano Alfine 8 speed install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shimano Alfine 8 speed install

I just spent the better part of the afternoon trying to get the shifting mechanism onto my hub, and watched every YouTube video on how to do it after I ran into an issue. FINALLY, I just noticed, the slot spacing on the part (that engages the teeth of the shifter) I am trying to get on the hub is different! It appears that I have one for the Nexus. I can't believe it took that long for me to notice.... but it was a can't see the forest for all the damn trees in the way thing.

The thing is, I ordered correctly, at least I thought I did, but my part has 8 notches to engage the 10 teeth of the hub shifter, pretty obvious that account for my issues. I just noticed on Amazon, they have the hub I ordered, right next to the small parts kit I also ordered, though it is the wrong one, for the Nexus not the Alfine, that makes me feel a little better! All is clear now, the part (CJ-8S20) I was trying to install, should have been a CJ-S700-8. After doing 2 different Rohloff installs I thought this would be a breeze, the Rohloff's came with everything needed so in that respect they were much simpler.
    Last edited by CPG; 04-09-2022, 03:19 PM.

[grimacing as I type this] ... What shifter do you have?

Shimano, since their bicycle component inception, seems to go out of their way to make not obvious and/or subtle design changes that 1.) obsolete inventory and 2.) totally muck up the works. The "just for spite" variations of the 8-speed shifter / cassette joint design is but one example, and don't get me started on the IGH shifters.

P.S. it isn't as straight forward as, "for the Nexus not the Alfine" - it all depends on the particular revision of the hub (SG-S500 versus SG-S501 versus SG-S7000-8 versus SG-S7001-8 and so on). Sometimes Nexus and Alfine 8-speed parts are interchangeable, sometimes not. And, for a while there where some Nexus hubs that were mechanically as good as the Alfine (band color).
    Last edited by ncmired; 04-23-2022, 09:41 PM.
    BBSHD / BBS02 IGH Builds: Nexus / Alfine 8: 1 2 3 4 5 6, Rohloff: 1

Comment

What shifter? Probably the wrong one! This:
      Microshift Internal Gear Flat Bar Trigger Shifter Shimano Nexus 8 Compatible. Also a Rohloff chain tensioner, as I am at least familiar with them. Thanks for the heads up as to the trickiness of getting the right stuff. Now I will heavily scrutinize the remaining parts as they arrive beofre ripping the packaging open and trying to install them.

This is for the bike I keep in my crane, for use as a dingy during my work day, getting lunch or for running errands as I drive thru town on the way back from a job. So least used of my 3 rides, but when I need it is is super handy, I just hope the folding handlebars don't complicate finding the proper location for a shifter too much.

Comment

And I also should have asked, the SG-S7001-8 hub?

In general, from what I've been able to figure out, if the shift cable holder stop is above the axle and the shift cable wraps counter clockwise and down around the hub (seen from the cog side of the hub), then the hub shifts down (8 to 1) as the cable as pulled. This is the way the SG-S7001-8 speed works. The Alfine 11 speed is similar (shifts down as the cable is pulled). So, for the shifter, the 8th position should be at the cable slack end.

Early Alfine hubs (like my SG-S501) and AFAIK all of the Nexus hubs shift opposite (up, 1 to 8), the cable stop is below that axle, and the cable wraps clockwise and up around the hub.

Sheldon Brown took a stab at deciphering the mess. I've yet to find any Shimano docs on it.
        Last edited by ncmired; 04-10-2022, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Yes, the SG-7001 hub, with a 17 T sprocket, and a 37 T chain ring. Had the chain ring already, and it appears that I will have about 1/2 to 5/8" offset chain line, the chain ring needs to move inboard for perfect. Having the good luck to get both my Rohloff installs with a perfect chain line, with never a chain drop or other issues, I am ignorant as to how much of a less than perfect chain line is practical, my best guess is it'll be OK. This bike gets gently ridden, unlike my other two, no steep trail riding, if any trails at all, with a BBS02.

Comment

Ah, ok - the SG-S7001-8 hub ... Well, bad news is that Nexus shifter is an "up" shifter, and not what you want.

I think you need the SL-S7000-8 shifter, which looks like this:
            Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600.jpg Views:	0 Size:	39.3 KB ID:	150104

Notice the 8th indicator is at the slack end of the cable, nearest the cable port - not a "for sure" indicator, just something I've noticed. Also, AFAIK, there are no drum or grip shifters available for the SG-S7001-8 hub.

For front chain rings with the BBS02 / Alfine 8 pair, to get a great chain line on a 68 to 73mm BB frame:
            • Out back, dished cogs are best (Shimano or Sturmey Archer 3/32 or 1/8), set "dish out" on the hub (a 48mm chain line)
            • Up front, the Lekkie 40 is best, perfect on a 68mm BB - saner cost-wise would be spider / conventional ring combos but I don't know where they fall chain line
            See my BBS02 / Alfine 8 builds, here and here for some examples.

The Rohloff with its 58mm chain line (spline version) is cake to deal with, in comparison. If Rohloff ever brings out a 7-speed (like Kindernay did) at a reasonable price (that Kindernay didn't), I probably couldn't resist.

P.S. I've found Dan "Mr. IGH" Burkhart's Youtube videos quite handy, and he does answer questions posed in the video comments.
            Last edited by ncmired; 04-10-2022, 09:13 AM.

Comment

They seem to be discontinued, and or backordered/out of stock, everywhere. I did find one place, and at the best price, $25.00, but the shipping was almost $200.00, being in Jakarta! Than I found another one on EBAY, paid for it, only then seeing it'd be mid May before it got here, hopefully canceled that. I am sitting tight until I find out whatever shifter that has replaced it, the Shimano site is no help, they still show it available, or at least it's on their web page.

I know that on the Rohloff, you can manually set the gear you want, with a 8mm wrench, and ride off, the Alfines work the same? I'd like to have at least one gear ASAP.

Comment

Originally posted by CPG View Post
                I know that on the Rohloff, you can manually set the gear you want, with a 8mm wrench, and ride off, the Alfines work the same? I'd like to have at least one gear ASAP.
                Nope - no such luck. Yet another area in which the Rohloff is well thought through. Setting the Alfine off of the slack cable gear (in your case 8th) would be tough I'd think, as you need to be very precise on the rotation position. The hub has no shift detent indexing - that's done in the shifter.

I'm imagining some sort of precisely machined hook-like fitting.

Potential shifter / cable failure riding consequences is one of the reasons I prefer the older Nexus / Alfine hubs - if it ever happens, I'd be stuck in first.

Buying parts, I've had to resort to Great Britain (Chain Reaction mostly) and Germany (bike-discount.de) quite a bit - it arrives usually within a week. China (via speedpack) takes more like two weeks.

Which reminds me - what anti-rotation washer set do you have, and do they match your dropouts? Here's a handy-dandy chart (from Shimano / Sheldon Brown):
                Click image for larger version  Name:	nexus8-washers.gif Views:	0 Size:	88.2 KB ID:	150115

Click image for larger version  Name:	anti-rotation-washers-labeled800.jpg Views:	0 Size:	34.6 KB ID:	150116

Rohloff's lack of need for anti rotation washers is yet another thing they got right.
                Last edited by ncmired; 04-10-2022, 11:18 AM.

Comment

I have 4 of the anti rotation washers, and will have more with the other shifter assembly coming in. The ones I have fit. Yeah the Rohloff is one of those things that the high price is forgotten (sort of) once you realize how well it works. Waiting until May to get the one I just canceled is looking better, but surely there must be a new shifter that fills the gap left by the discontinued one? I just contacted the outfit I bought the hub from, Pit Crew Cycles in Long Beach, and will lean on them for some support as to finding the right frigging shifter. That Ebay seller did have 10 of them, so there still must be some floating around in the US. Worse comes to worse, I think I could make a temp solution to make that shifter stay where I want it, using my aircraft rigging skills and tools, maybe.

Just noticed your link to the other suppliers, BikeDiscount has them apparently! But I was unable to order due to a glitch on their sign in page I couldn't resolve, I'll try again later. I'm going for a Sur Ron ride,...
                  Last edited by CPG; 04-10-2022, 11:27 AM.

Comment

I finally got the correct "small parts" package and it easily installed in about 1 minute, unlike the hour or two I spent messing with the wrong one before finally realizing, it WAS the wrong one. Also opted for a Lekkie 41 T chain ring, it's 9mm offset is just what I needed for a real good chain line (eyeballs straight) , but I will be using a Surly Singelator for my chain tensioner, the Rohloff one I had hoped to use doesn't have enough adjustment range. I would have gone with the Surly one first but I didn't even know about them.

All that's left is the shifter, still waiting on it.

Comment

As near as I can tell, to install the shifter cable on the hub, I first tighten the cable bug at either 101, 127, or 145 mm from the housing stop. Not sure which. I'm going with 127 mm as I have the wet weather/Swedish version, with the bellows. Then I put the shifter in 4 th., and see if the yellow marks line up, if not adjust at the shifter, not the bug. I think/hope it will be obvious what initial setting to use.

Comment

Just went for a test ride, all is good. I wish I had another to install, I could do it in a fraction of time, now that I see how it goes together! Shifting perfect, good gearing range for my use of it, mostly if not all city riding, I'm a happy camper.

Comment

Working...
                        X