Suspension seat post.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspension seat post.

Having a ebike with no suspension. Any thought on a suspension seat post?

This combo would be my first choice and what I'm running. Hopefully one of those 3 is your size post. The air suspension is nice because its adjustable, you use a 'shock pump' to adjust it. The dropper is also great because you can drop it to make it easier to get on and off the bike. Its also great for stop and go city riding because you can drop it while you are stopped so you can stay seated but easily touch the ground. When you get rolling again just press the button and you are back up to optimum pedaling height. Another bonus is on longer rides when you start getting sore you can just make a quick 1" height adjustment and change your whole weight balance to say take stress off your back or arms. It doesn't take much adjustment to reduce the fatigue. I pretty much can't ride without one now that I have em on both my bikes. Its just automatic in my brain now. Coming to a stop downshift and drop the seat. Get rolling, upshift and seat up.

The crank brothers remote is great for E bikes because it can go on the left or right, above or below the bars. The secret is its ball mount so it can be rotated in any direction and also has a decent amount of height range that we often need to clear other controls on our often already cluttered bars. Cable is just a standard shifter cable and housing.
    https://www.crankbrothers.com/products/highline-remote

What you need to look at here is diameter and then external or internal routing. internal is if there is a hole in the frame for a dropper cable to run. External the cable connects in the seatpost clamp area so it will fit any bike as long as the diameter is correct.
    https://www.pnwcomponents.com/produc...28488428519501

It does add up cost wise by the time you buy the post, lever, cable, and pump, maybe $300? But its worth it IMHO.

Some places still have the 'thudbuster' seat posts on closeout for around $200 and I have been told those are really nice especially if you can get a good price on one. There are also some really cheap suspension posts that are better than nothing in the $50-100 range but I found on those they don't have a lot of travel or adjustability especially if you are on the heavier side so you often end up bottomed out and not really helping.

Comment

I get by just fine with high volume tires and low pressure. But if I were stuck with skinny tires that require high pressure then a suspension seat post would be a must. Thus is why fat tires are so popular with e bikes. If you are on the heavy side make sure you check the specs and read through the reviews of suspension seat posts. When it comes to heavy riders you tend to get what you pay for. Lighter weight riders have much more selection.

Comment

Quite happy with thudbuster LT (long travel) and I run very low pressure fat tires (26x4.8") on that bike - I do more than a little off-road however

Comment

Thudbuster LT, Cloud 9 seat, fat tires below 10 psi works for me.

Comment

I have collected a few Thudbuster LTs over the years. If there's not much room above the frame; the ST version would be OK for street use. I got an SR Suntour NCX which seemed OK but weighs a ton. It's a short travel version also.
            I have no experience with the air/dropper seatposts, but the linkage types work in an arc towards the rear axle, where the shock is coming from. The telescopic type is working towards the pedals. I never cared for the spring type telescoping posts.

Comment

• Retrorockit
              Retrorockit commented
              Editing a comment
              For street the droppper feature is not a big deal. Neither is the 3"' travel. But I have a few Thudbuster LT around from my MTB days, so I stick with them.

• 73Eldo
              73Eldo commented
              Editing a comment
              I was also in the droppers are for the hardcore off road camp till I tried one and found out that PNW made one with suspension that was reasonably priced. Now I don't think I can ride a bike without one. If I was younger and lighter I don't think I would care as much but as a guy that gets winded putting shoes on these days I like ability to lower it for getting on and off but still getting the full leg extension when riding. Before I got those I was really close to pulling the trigger on a thudbuster. both my bikes I had enough height to use them and people that have em all seem to love em.

• Retrorockit
              Retrorockit commented
              Editing a comment
              My antitheft seatpost clamp doesn't tighten as much as I would like. It slowly lowers over time and needs to be raised about once a week. So maybe I get the same effect? I was going to put a piece of tubing around the seatpost to stop that. Then maybe I'll know whether it's needed.
              But like my Avid BB7 brakes, the Thudbuster LT isn't going away any time soon.
          Working...
          X