Can cycling help you lose weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can cycling help you lose weight

Just like running, cycling is a very good aerobic exercise, and in addition to enhancing our cardiopulmonary function, aerobic exercise is also a very effective way to lose weight. And in the process of riding, many muscles of our whole body are involved, thighs, calves, buttocks, arms and even shoulder and neck muscles have been fully exercised. Therefore, as long as the riding style is correct, and each ride can be guaranteed for more than half an hour, it is completely possible to achieve the purpose of losing weight.

The only thing to pay attention to is that you can’t lose weight because you can lose weight by riding, so you can eat a lot after riding. If you consume more calories than the calories consumed by riding, then not only will you not achieve the effect of losing weight, but you may also lose weight. will gain weight.

Judging from the lack of responses there must be a large number of ghost-pedalling donut boys in this group!?

Comment

• ncmired
      ncmired commented
      Editing a comment
      Head down, hand raised ... But working on it, and closing on 100lbs less chunkage.

• AZguy
      AZguy commented
      Editing a comment
      Hardly - I just know that exercise while healthy isn't going to make much difference on it's own for weight management... weight is pretty much all about consumption...

I'm pretty good for a guy in his sixty's with just one leg

And I strongly suspect that lauragorf is just an AI bot anyway and I don't really understand the point of aostirmotor posts... oh well...

Your point about being mindful of calorie intake is crucial. Weight loss is fundamentally about creating a calorie deficit, where the calories burned through activities like cycling exceed the calories consumed. It's essential to maintain a balanced and healthy diet to support your weight loss goals. Speaking of balanced diets, incorporating nutritious and lean protein sources is key. If you're looking for a delicious and convenient option, consider preparing a London Broil slow cooker. London Broil, when cooked slowly in a crockpot, can result in a flavorful and tender dish that aligns well with your fitness and dietary objectives.

In addition to the physical benefits, cycling also offers mental health benefits, such as stress reduction and improved mood. It's a low-impact exercise, making it suitable for people of various fitness levels and ages.
    Last edited by JulieSimpsong; 01-18-2024, 02:37 AM.

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much about weight. Muscle burns fat. if you build muscle you might weigh the same, but have less fat. Physical activity burns fat. Strenuous activity builds muscle.
      Cycling doesn't help bone density. Weight lifting does. A mix of activities is probably best. But cycling can be a very big part of that. Swimming burns fat just from heat loss to the water. So that's a good place to start.

Comment

• AZguy
        AZguy commented
        Editing a comment
        I still subscribe to the more recent thoughts that physical activity may help managing weight not at all from "burning calories".... it's primarily because you are doing something besides consuming!

• dirtman
        dirtman commented
        Editing a comment
        Quote ""Swimming burns fat""
        Right now it`s 1-F in western PA (One Degree-F)
        Where I used to dock my boat in Lake Erie its now -30-F with the wind chill factor. Ice=9-inches.
        Too cold to swim. If I pedal my pedal bike to Canada and back. I`ll let you know how much weight I lose.

Cycling. When I had my 26' Sailboat in Erie. I used my sons 20-inch BMX bike (Seat extended)
        I`d park my car in the marina and for the next 4 years I ride that bike everywhere. It fit under the deck. I took it everyplace I sailed too. Spent more hours on that bike than on Sailing.
        No doubt about it. I was in the best shape of my life since 25. Riding dirt-bikes we had about a 20 mile loop.
        At age 58 I took 4-5 minutes off my best time ever. (KTM-SX-200 & Suzuki 200)
        When I signed up for the VA healthcare system at 65. I weighted the same as when I got drafted back in 1970.
        The VA asked me what`s my secret. I told them riding MX & dirt-bikes. I`ll have to change that to cycling.

Pedal bike cycling. Thinking maybe as i get older to add a E-motor to my 26' Raleigh.
        I joined this forum for my SRX-LB but I`ve been reading up on an E- build for my R-26.

• dirtman
        dirtman commented
        Editing a comment
        AZ-guy. Just curious: How do you ride with just one leg.?
        You don`t have to answer that.

Originally posted by dirtman View Post
      Q: How do you ride with just one leg.?
      ​A: Pretty well for an old guy ar ar

Carbon fiber leg... my older heavier and less compliant titanium post ones I couldn't turn much faster than 60, maybe 70rpm, or the leg would come off the pedal... worked with a new leg man a few years ago and now easily turn 80rpm continuous (my normal cadence is 70-80) and have hit peaks in the 110-120rpm range... still can't pedal "standing" on the pedals though - have tried many times but it just don't work right... may try again after some recent riding "upgrade" to the leg (lighter, bends easier at the "knee")

Still it's like a twin cylinder that only runs on one... the muscles on the bio-leg are pretty darn big now!

Early on after losing it I tried riding my MTB and even though I "could" it wasn't fun at all... really hard to get going and just not enough umph... discovered electric and that definitely changed my biking world...​

Comment

Tour De Frabce riders consume 6000 calories a day and lose weight the whole time they're racing.

Comment

• AZguy
          AZguy commented
          Editing a comment
          That's not even remotely sustainable

• Retrorockit
          Retrorockit commented
          Editing a comment
          I have no intention of trying it.

Consistent cycling can contribute to a calorie deficit, which is necessary for weight loss. Additionally, cycling builds muscle, especially in the lower body, which can help increase metabolism and further support weight loss efforts.
        friday Night Funkin​
        wordle today

Comment

Working...
        X