What To Do If You Accidentally Fall While Riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What To Do If You Accidentally Fall While Riding

If you ride a bike, there is a chance of falling from it. When it inevitably happens, before you get up from the ground, check your body. Ask yourself a few questions: Are your limbs conscious? Are there any problems with the bones? Is there any extensive bleeding? Make sure you are not seriously injured. If your limbs are not broken, the surroundings are safe, and there are no other vehicles, move to a safe place away from the road.

You might give some thought to how you plan on falling. There are some interesting videos from BMX and urban assault riders on doing this. One trick from MTB is to not stick your arm out to break your fall. Keep your hands on the bars and stick the handlebar into the ground letting the bike take the hit. In an OTB situation don't do a face plant and maybe break your neck. Tuck your head and roll into a somersualt. Slamming your arms and feet into the ground takes load off of your back when you land. The young BMX guys wait until the bike is almost all the way over, and step through and run out of it when the handlebars are almost at the ground. This would probably take more practice than a 68 year old has time for.
    Knowing what not to do can make a difference in how fast you can get back up and out of harms way.
    Another tip- if you are going to get hit by a car jump up in the air. This was taught to me as a racing corner worker. You don't want to go under the car. You want to get tossed away from it.
    Last edited by Retrorockit; 05-19-2022, 07:03 AM.

Comment

• AOSTIRMOTOR
      AOSTIRMOTOR commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, you're quite right. These are very practical methods and techniques, we should remember it.

• Retrorockit
      Retrorockit commented
      Editing a comment
      Time slows down when TSHTF. You'd be surprised what you can remember when your ass is on the line. But you have to know it in the first place.

Rub dirt in the wounds, you get better scars

Pain is temporary
    Glory is forever
    Bones heal
    Chicks dig scars

Comment

The German Army officers with facial scars you see in the movies was an actual thing. In the academy they would put on iron rimmed goggles to protect the eyes and slash away at each other with triangular bladed swords to get deuling scars on purpose. IDK if they rubbed dirt in them? Officially it was illegal, but you weren't the real deal without it. Do you think maybe WE need something like that?

Comment

• AZguy
        AZguy commented
        Editing a comment
        I have joked that when the coroner puts me on the slab he's going to say I clearly led a rough and tumble life

I'm pretty much scarred up head to toe... even a ~10cm slice from a razor this guy I was fighting pulled out - quick end to that fight! not to mention missing a large body part...

I can't speak for anyone else but I sure don't need any more

• Retrorockit
        Retrorockit commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll take that as a No Thank You.
    Working...
    X