Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tire(s) replacement. Words of wisdom and recommendations appreciated and welcomed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ncmired
    commented on 's reply
    Nah, Mary had the hots for Billy Bonkers ... Well, until Dirty Dan made his intro. And the rest, as they say, is scandalous history.
    Last edited by ncmired; 5 hours ago.

• 73Eldo
    commented on 's reply
    It does seem like only maybe 5% of bike tire names give you any clues what they may be good for.

I wonder who Magic Mary is or was? I wonder if she knew Nobbie Nic?

• ncmired
    replied
    Originally posted by Cassy0110 View Post
    For me, the best is Schwalbe Magic Mary
    Gotta love Schwalbe model naming - what surfaces do you ride on? Good that you've found a match for your needs.

Leave a comment:

• Cassy0110
    replied
    For me, the best is Schwalbe Magic Mary

Leave a comment:

• Tommycat
    commented on 's reply
    Explains the cost... :-/

• ncmired
    commented on 's reply
    Schwalbe often confuses me with the "why's" of their model names, and why so many damned models?

Take what I'll call the smooth, "chevron" tread tires - there's at least three models that have been around a while: Big Apple, Big Ben, and Super Moto-X. These vary (with some overlap?!?!) in rim size and width. There may even be a chevon tread Marathon model I have yet to come across (yup - Marathon Almotion).

Recently they released the Super Moto (not X) model, which despite the model name similarity is a completely different tread style than the Super Moto-X - it has a very smooth tread close to the One, Durango, and dunno what else model series.

Then there's all of the sort-of diamond tread patterned Marathon, Road Cruiser, and whatever else tires. Plus the dotted or dashed tread One and Fat Frank tires. Plus some crossover (from smooth to knobbed) Marathon and Hurricane.

Pour in more variations for the colors, protection level and the bead type.

And ... Then a whole 'nother world of mountain tires.

All of these tires, AFAIK, come out of the same factory.
    Last edited by ncmired; 3 weeks ago.

• Tommycat
    commented on 's reply
    Tread looks very different to me from this pic... and may just come in wider sizes.

• Retrorockit
    commented on 's reply
    The Big Ben Plus is called the Supermoto in 27.5. Looks like the same tire to me.

• Tommycat
    replied
    Thanks again for the help fellas. Wrote down my thoughts so far here...

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...in-tire-review

Cheers,
    T.C.

Leave a comment:

• 73Eldo
    replied
    I have not looked real recently but seems like last summer it kinda looked like maybe the big apple was on its way out or if it wasn't was way down on the priority list for manufacturing. With the Ben being so similar I would think many people went with the Ben. Not to mention for most sizes there are plenty of similar tires out there. It seems to be the center ridge stile that are not that common in the wider and larger sizes. I remember when I was shopping for that style I saw several tread photos and yes thats what I want then looked at the sizes and like a 700x40 was 'the big one'. There was still a lot in 26x2 ish too but I suppose those are still common walmart sizes and then all the people that brought out classics in 2020.

Leave a comment:

• Tommycat
    commented on 's reply
    Yes, I found that on a lot of different models from the same manufacturer. Made choices a bit easier, and frustrating. But pleased to hear the BB's have a thicker tread. Luckily, I found the bad tire during some routine brake maintenance. Noticed a patch of tire cords exposed to the surface in the middle of the tire.
    After removal, you could see pin holes of light coming thru. I've heard of "thin to win", but those Huffy OEM tires are really thin. :-/

• ncmired
    replied
    Let me be the party pooper and say, AFAIK, the Big Apple tires are not available in 27.5.

Leave a comment:

• 73Eldo
    replied
    Ya apparently I was typing a bit slow but it would not have mattered anyway since you placed the order before you typed the reply. I thought about editing it but like you said maybe it will help someone else trying to choose a tire.

When I bought the apples was mid 2020 when there wasn't a lot of anything in stock anywhere. I think the big bens existed then but was no stock to be found. There were very few big apples around too but luckily there were 29's. My brother was one who recommended the apples and when he bought his the bens were not out yet. I was considering the bens but them not being in stock anywhere at the time kinda made the choice easy for me. I do miss the reflective sidewall. Those really stand out at night when light hits them. I don't think you will be disappointed with the bens.

I have considered putting the apples back on but in my case the apples are 2.35's and the ET's are 2.5's so I'm thinking I would sacrifice a bit of ride comfort just to gain a little less resistance which I don't really care about on this bike. On this bike I have a big battery so AH stands for ass hours meaning my ass is wore out way before the battery so its more about comfort.

When I bought the ET's last summer there were pretty slim pickins for stock except I found that the 'slate' sidewall was in stock everywhere. Apparently it wasn't as popular as black so most places had the slate in stock. I don't mind the look of the slate. Kinda breaks up all the black on this bike which is just about everything.

Leave a comment:

• Retrorockit
    commented on 's reply
    I ran the BA+ too. I like the BB+ much better. More versatile and fewer flats. They're basically the same except BB+ has deeper tread. BA is more of a traditional cruiser tire. The BB+ favors E bikes, where the extra weight of the tread doesn't matter so much

• Tommycat
    commented on 's reply
    Rats 73Eldo,
    Just a little bit late, but thanks for the suggestion. Perhaps others can use this suggestion and the wider tire, but I wanted to stick with a maximum of 2 inch.
Working...
X