I really screwed up by not waiting for Luna to get the BBSHD back in stock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really screwed up by not waiting for Luna to get the BBSHD back in stock

I got my bafangusadirect motor installed and it shifted forward a few inches and ripped the speed sensor wires out of the controller.
    I didn't know it could do this and I found a post by someone else who had the same problem.
    They bought theirs from Luna and Luna sent them a new controller for just the price of shipping.
    Bafangusadirect is not at all like Luna. Whatever problem you have with their equipment, they simply blow you off, tell you that it's all your fault and tell you to bring it to a bike shop.
    Don't be like me. Be patient and wait for Luna to get what you need back in stock.
    How can I best warn people about this company?

Sorry man, that sucks :/

Comment

• WelcomeSite
      WelcomeSite commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I expressed my frustration and disappointment after they blew me off and they sent me a nasty email, telling me that they do not respond or interact with people who abuse their staff and make threats. I guess disapproving of their non-existent help is 'threatening', in their book?
      I told them about the person with the same problem who was treated well by Luna and they told me to go buy a controller from Luna, if I like them so much. But they are going to give me one more chance to start fresh.
      Lol. We'll see what happens. I'm expecting more great advice about paying a bike shop to fix my broken bafangusadirect motor.

So did bafangusadirect do the installation?

Comment

Not the first time we have heard not the greatest reviews from those guys. I can't remember which way it was but wasn't Bafang USA related? One of them basically got shut down because of bad customer experiences so they either changed the name or kinda combined? I haven't really paid that close attention, I didn't get a good vibe from them when I was researching my first build even before I found Luna.

Also thanks for saying what happened. That 'failure mode' wasn't on my mind when I have been doing installs so now I'm gonna go look and if its reasonable to do so route the cables so there is a chance of survival if the motor was to flop loose. Since I bought the socket instead of the wrench I have not had any issue with them getting loose but if different cable routing would prevent that sort of damage if it did come loose it would be worth doing it just in case.

Comment

So you improperly mounted your motor and that makes them responsible or terrible because they didn't offer you free parts?

Comment

• 73Eldo
          73Eldo commented
          Editing a comment
          Its not clear who did the install but as far as I know BafangDirect doesn't offer that service so yes its a little unfair to bash them for not doing something that most people would not have expected them to do in the first place. We for sure hear about Luna going the extra mile to help people and occasionally even sketchy sounding online sellers have come through for people with 'free' replacement parts so I guess its always worth asking but you are correct in that we should not just expect that out of every seller.

Is there any way you can splice the wires to reconnect? These e-bike conversions really are DIY projects. The suppliers don't know every possibility you're going to run into. That's what makes this and other forums so helpful. My experience with BafangDirect was not bad. If I had a problem after the installation, they listened, made a few suggestions and sent me links to videos (sometimes Luna's, but not theirs). Often their suggestion was go to my LBS, but most bike shops don't want to get involved in an e-bike experiment. The truth is my BBSHD has never had a problem (approaching 5K miles). Every time I thought some new noise was the motor, it has always been something with the drive train. Things wear out faster with a motor. The lock nut socket wrench is a must have tool even for one installation.

Comment

Working...
        X