Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

upgrading a replacement battery

Hello I have recently purchased a cargo trike here
    and I want to upgrade the battery for a longer lasting one that I currently have
    here is the spec for what I currently am running

Battery: 36V13A Lithium-Ion, Manufacturer LG
    Battery position: Luggage carrier
    Motor: 250W DC Brushless, Manufacturer DAPU/Japan
    Display: LCD, Manufacturer DAPU/Japan

could some please tell me my options to what I can get please ​

Originally posted by Nobody. View Post
    Hello I have recently purchased a cargo trike here
    and I want to upgrade the battery for a longer lasting one that I currently have
    here is the spec for what I currently am running

Battery: 36V13A Lithium-Ion, Manufacturer LG
    Battery position: Luggage carrier
    Motor: 250W DC Brushless, Manufacturer DAPU/Japan
    Display: LCD, Manufacturer DAPU/Japan

could some please tell me my options to what I can get please ​
    You don't say anything about the controller. DAPU has 2 controllers one can handle 48 volts. I would head in that direction. There are a lot of different 48 volt batteries out there. Get the biggest you can fit and or afford.

Comment

• stts
      stts commented
      Editing a comment
      Id be afraid of putting 48v on a 250watt hub motor. The motor is only good for about 5 amps at 48v. No doubt it will be run much harder than that. Its a small hub motor so its got planetary gear and its probably nylon so the extra heat will not radiate well and the gears will get soft. The windings running hot on longer run times is not good either. He needs a bigger motor for 48v relyability.

where would i find the controller on this then?
    is it behind the battery on the rear carry rack?Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-10-15 at 11.15.46 PM.png
Views:	143
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	156660

Comment

where would i find the controller on this then?
      is it behind the battery on the rear carry rack?Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-10-15 at 11.15.46 PM.png
Views:	143
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	156660
      Sorry for the delay. I am not on the forum as much as I used to be.

The controller maybe inside the hub.

36 volts really yesterday's technolgy. 48 or 52 are much more common now.

That is a great looking rig, to bad it is hampered by such low power. I would look to repower the whole bike. I wonder if you could fit a Bafang midrive between the BB and the rear tire. You could also go with a larger hub motor.

Here is a similar rig gone to extremes. https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...rns-its-flames

Comment

I found a bike with the same frame. I don't think a midrive would fit. I have some 52 volt batteries that look the same as yours. Would they fit in your rear rack. Who knows.

A traditional tricycle that will take you anywhere in the city thanks to its electric support. Getting in and out is easy and you can park anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by calfee20 View Post
          Here is a similar rig gone to extremes. https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...rns-its-flames
          wow thanks for the link as thats some read there hopefully my ADHD will let me read all 9 pages :D
          and as for fitting a mid drive into this I am not sure if it will fit without some frame modifications

Comment

I think a bigger hub motor makes sense for that. Grin Technology has an assortment. Some with metal gears.

Comment

Originally posted by Retrorockit View Post
              I think a bigger hub motor makes sense for that. Grin Technology has an assortment. Some with metal gears.
              Sound like an ideal do you have a weblink to a supplier that ships to Europe please?

Comment

• Retrorockit
                Retrorockit commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm just a US hobbyist. So no experience with international shipping. But I bet Grin Tech in Canada does a bunch of it.Batteries are flammable, so need to go by surface transport.For Grin to sell in the US they need international shipping.

Originally posted by calfee20 View Post

Sorry for the delay. I am not on the forum as much as I used to be.

The controller maybe inside the hub.

36 volts really yesterday's technolgy. 48 or 52 are much more common now.

That is a great looking rig, to bad it is hampered by such low power. I would look to repower the whole bike. I wonder if you could fit a Bafang midrive between the BB and the rear tire. You could also go with a larger hub motor.

Here is a similar rig gone to extremes. https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...rns-its-flames-here
              Let me ask you, for a beginner you would advise an old model at 36 volts for training or is it better to look at the new models at 48 and 52? Would there be any significant difference? Or is it better to buy one that I will continue to ride?
              Last edited by DarOv; 11-11-2022, 12:32 AM.

Comment

• Retrorockit
                Retrorockit commented
                Editing a comment
                52 Volts is not standard. Many displays don't suppport that Voltage so it's for the more tech savvy users.
                48V. is standard and allows less amperage at the same power rating than 36V.. This is where you should be for compatibility and serviceability.
                36V is an older standard and mostly applies to low end commercial bikes with water bottle batteries. Kind of obsolete and low performance. No reason to use it.

Originally posted by DarOv View Post

Let me ask you, for a beginner you would advise an old model at 36 volts for training or is it better to look at the new models at 48 and 52? Would there be any significant difference? Or is it better to buy one that I will continue to ride?
              To get the range of an of a battery multiply the voltage by the amp/hours and then divide by 20. This will give you a more or less answer YMMV.

For example, 36 volts X 15 amp/hr divided by 20 = 27miles. With a 48 volts X 15 amp/hr divided by 20 = 36 miles. This is a more reasonable range

New riders always underestimate how far they will ride. Get the biggest battery you can afford. I don't think I would spend money on a 36 volt system. If it was given to me that would be different.

One of my rides is 72 volts X 28 amp/hr divided by 20 = 100 miles. That is flat road and around 15 mph. Boring! My real range is no less than 50. That is pedal assist with 750 watts around 25 mph and free use of throttle for an occasional burst of a few thousand watts. Nice!

Comment

• stts
                stts commented
                Editing a comment
                I rode around lutz area before. Parked at the hospital and pulled my bike out to ride around. Florida is one big paradise zone to me. Hah.

• calfee20
                calfee20 commented
                Editing a comment
                I keep going back to Starky Park.

• stts
                stts commented
                Editing a comment
                Im still on peddle power so I didnt go that far north. I know somebody there so I usually park at St Josephs hospital and bike around the area till he gets off work. Then we hang for abit. When I get my rig built, Ill have to venture there to check it out. My buddy is not a bike rider but he might turn into one if he trys out my ebike.

wow thanks for the link as thats some read there hopefully my ADHD will let me read all 9 pages :D
              and as for fitting a mid drive into this I am not sure if it will fit without some frame modifications
              I am the poster child for so called ADHD, if I am interested in something I master it, get me to read 9 pages I don't care about, ya impossible.

If your running 250 watts just buy a cheap big AH battery. You will never use the high current rating of the more expensive ones.

Here https://www.ebay.com/itm/265958342091

or

Lets see 60 amp hours times 36 volts = about 2160​ watt hours 2160 divided by 250 watts

The math says you could run full throttle for 8 hours no problem.

Comment

• stts
                stts commented
                Editing a comment
                Yup, you know watts going on. hah
            Working...
            X