Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

a fix for slow/delayed throttle response?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a fix for slow/delayed throttle response?

I'm seriously considering getting a lectric xp 2.0 for girlfriend, and with a minimum extra cost ( cloud 9 ladies, suntour susp post, turtle neck stem and jet bmx bars) have it good for her and other friends.
    while researching, the major detraction that would bother me most (besides throttle inactive in pas 0) is a delayed throttle response. I Really appreciate my Eclipse on that!

So, in short, can anything be done by a non rocket scientist person like myself to improve the response?

I looked on their site and they have a video on how to setup their parameters. Its crystal clear. When he sets up throttle only, bike starts moving the instant he gives it throttle. I dont see any delay. If you dont like the rate that the speed ramps up, well thats something they probably wont let you change. Because it takes higher current to get faster ramp up speed. And that means more heat sunk into the 500 watt hub motor they use. The motor can only take 10amps current at 48volts to handle 500 watts of heat. Its a small motor in that bike for the 48volts they give it. And the video shows he was only able to get 24mph max speed with it. So if there was a way to crank up the current to the motor to get more speed and faster acceleration, then the motor would just get hotter and have a shorter life span. Also the meager range would be even less on those small battery packs in throttle only use. And the pack is only supposed to be used to maximum 15 amps of current. So the small pack is even over rated for the motor on the bike. But thats how they are getting the range that they thought they needed. Put a smaller cheaper motor on and the range would be acceptable. But things are not working out as they planned, since they are slashing prices till supplies run out. But you can email them and ask if they will tell you how to increase the acceleration in those bikes. But they have warranties they have to service. So I doubt they will say the changes that will blow the bike up easier.

In this video, I will go over all the different custom settings for the Lectric XP 2.0. I will also show you what each of them actually does and give you an ...

Comment

• lectrik al
      lectrik al commented
      Editing a comment
      i don't mean a stronger pull, and more current, torgue or rpm. I mean a delay in response to the input of throttle movement. Hesitation. I realize it's not a super motor, but gotta be similar to the 500w bafang in my new Eclipse, which uses the same 14ah battery (well not LG cells but china - coke or pepsi?).

I would rather be considering a Luna Eclipse shrunk down about 6" standover... but that's not available

My Eclipse doesn't suffer from a delay, and more important to me operates in zero PAS. I figure new riders could easier deal with a bike that needed to always be in a pas mode to be ON/live, is one thing, but the un safety of a go switch that's not there when you expect/need it to be is a deal breaker for me

go pedals that don't go are just as bad as stoppers that don't stop

• stts
      stts commented
      Editing a comment
      Im not sure what your talking about. In the video, at 7:41, its setup for throttle only and he hits the throttle. The bike immediately starts its gradual ramp up to speed. A speed that never gets near the 28mph that he set the bike for. I don't see any kind of delay. It aint my cup of tea, performance wise, but I understand why that's about all this bike can do. It's not build to do much better.

I just found another video where he got the bike to go quicker by replacing the cassette with a wider cassette. An then he was all excited to hit 26 with vigorous peddle assist, and climbed a modest hill at 7mph with pedal assist. Yup. That is fo sho not my cup of tea. But I'm not seeing a malfunction. Just a bike that people are "tired" of renting. Literally, hah.

See how you can upgrade your Lectric XP 2.0 with a new freewheel, that will give you better climbing gears and better top-speed gears!You can find the Lectri...
      Last edited by stts; 10-30-2022, 08:05 PM.

Cool. I'm going have to watch those videos a whole bunch, ( sometimes slow learner) but it looks like the delay for response is settable, and I THINK that's what I was talkin about. ??? It's a good thing my new Eclipse didn't come with a display blinking 12:00 like the old vcr's, cause it would probably be still blinking. Kinda ashamed to admit it but at 3 months and 700 mi. I haven't even learned how to operate my display, or understand what it can even do. I basically have it all set up motorcycle style and just ride the throttle and pedal some. I'm basically THE shit with tools plans guns fixing or building, but it seems my brain TURNS to shit as soon as I start touching little buttons- phones, computer displays, order screens at burger king, cameras- you name it I look every bit a 70 yr old fool, and get stuff pretty screwed up in short order.
    thanks fer tryin to help educate me.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1853 (1).jpg
Views:	237
Size:	730.6 KB
ID:	157186

see, couldn't even post this right to get it in with my comment, and ended up as another post-duh

Comment

Originally posted by stts View Post
        I looked on their site and they have a video on how to setup their parameters. Its crystal clear. When he sets up throttle only, bike starts moving the instant he gives it throttle. I dont see any delay. If you dont like the rate that the speed ramps up, well thats something they probably wont let you change. Because it takes higher current to get faster ramp up speed. And that means more heat sunk into the 500 watt hub motor they use. The motor can only take 10amps current at 48volts to handle 500 watts of heat. Its a small motor in that bike for the 48volts they give it. And the video shows he was only able to get 24mph max speed with it. So if there was a way to crank up the current to the motor to get more speed and faster acceleration, then the motor would just get hotter and have a shorter life span. Also the meager range would be even less on those small battery packs in throttle only use. And the pack is only supposed to be used to maximum 15 amps of current. So the small pack is even over rated for the motor on the bike. But thats how they are getting the range that they thought they needed. Put a smaller cheaper motor on and the range would be acceptable. But things are not working out as they planned, since they are slashing prices till supplies run out. But you can email them and ask if they will tell you how to increase the acceleration in those bikes. But they have warranties they have to service. So I doubt they will say the changes that will blow the bike up easier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hACFlZCYmEQ
        24-26 mph looks pretty fast to me as an e-bike newbie. Why is that speed small? Or is it about engine power?

Comment

• lectrik al
          lectrik al commented
          Editing a comment
          You are correct. 24 mph on a bicycle IS pretty fast. Bikes that go that fast need to STOP that fast and all the other components need to perform at top levels as well. If ya want to get old someday. me 70- ain't braggin but...

newbies- I was one last week- shouldn't get caught up in just top speed. Most of these ebikes are just bicycles and don't do well high in speed endo's, and the riders are usually more worser than better. rider skills are even more important with the addition of non human power supply!

• stts
          stts commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, if you read all that, then you didnt understand what you read. The whole video is lipstick on a pig. A fat lazy hopeless pig. 28mph on flat ground is not so hard. And it couldnt even do that. So put an older gent on this with average older gent weight, and it just gets worse. Especially if he wants to bring home a rack pack of some groceries. Thats why the hill climb was so utterly pathetic. 6mph. Most anybody can run faster than that. This video is like a glowing dealer review of Chevy Chases "Family Truckster" in that funny movie. The top falls off and the dealer says its the latest feature, a removeable top. Hah. The performance of this bike is so bad because its got light weight drive train and the parameters are set low to keep it from burning up. If people do figure out how to bypass the parameters, I have no doubt these bikes will start puffing smoke. Alot of these were sold as rental bikes, and the rental industry is exploding. So dumping these bikes while supplies last means that the rental industry is fed up with these turkeys, and getting better bikes from a power and distance point of view. Getting up Hawaaii's hills at 6mph and stopping to recharge the dead battery at 0.5C is not my idea of a great vacation. And certainly nothing there I would want to own.
          Last edited by stts; 11-02-2022, 03:32 AM.

Well I hope a fix from lectric helps if their bike did have an issue cause my buddy just ordered their new 3.0 model. They upgraded the hub motor, controller and battery to specs close to my awesome Luna folder. Not expecting the world but hope to see her along side, riding/smiling on a smaller similar fun ebike. I will post about the bike then

Comment

The best fix would be to buy a real e-bike.

'Letric'

"A new upgraded 1000W Peak Rear Hub Motor with 55nm of torque."

See that sneaky word "peak", the marketing department knows the difference between 'peak' and continuous power and bets that clueless readers skip over that deception.

Like on the other thread my favorite is still letrics "award winning" features but no one can tell me where the contest was or what exactly they won.

Comment

• stts
            stts commented
            Editing a comment
            Yea, these are not in any way performance bikes. But they do seem to be built alright. The biggest downside is the tube battery is trapped into a low performance size. So it requires a second battery setup to make the bike more practical. That's an expensive upgrade. On top of this, rental companies are dumping these models for better performing ones. So $1000 for these is already no bargain at all. Especially with inflation worries. Around Xmas, these will be unloading at as much as half off. There is certainly a price where these bikes aint so bad. Like Charley Browns Xmas tree. Hah.

I just poke fun cause the marketing is such cheese.

Comment

• lectrik al
            lectrik al commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree.
            Each year, all the leftover and unused advertising in America gets sent to a recycle center where they box it up and sell it as Velvetta

Not sure about the smaller battery's you are referring to, but I'm talking about the 48v, 14ah battery. I now own 3 of them. One from LUNA that came with my Eclipse, one that came with the lectric, and one I bought from China. All 3 fit both bikes.

In a very unscientific comparison- me just swapping the batteries around between my Eclipse, I can't see any difference on a 12 mi ride between the three.
          No real measurement, just same path and about same remaining power after the ride.
          The only visible difference is the key can be removed in use on the Luna LG battery, and must stay in on the other two no name China models.

I'm sure the LG is the better battery by measured specs, but at roughly twice the cost, I don't think it's 2x better

Comment

Working...
          X