Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AZguy
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, they're a bigger name although have no experience for their support... what I've seen way too often is folks buying a noname chinese bike that is close to what 73eldo says and something fails or they let it sit in the garage long enough the battery is toast and either way they're left high and dry... and then they complain

• Dshue
    commented on 's reply
    My wife has a $1,100 Lectric XP, it's every bit as reliable as my diy bike. 750w …geared Bafang hub motor and controller, it came with tektro mechanical disc brakes, Shimano tourney rear derailleurShimano 7sp freewheel. The bike itself is heavy duty, the rear rack has about a 70 lb load capacity, 20x3 tires, metal fenders, headlight and tail light.
    My diy build cost $1,240 for bike, mid drive, and battery.
    The key factor is that her factory e bike has they features and specs she needed, my diy bike has the features and specs that I need.

• AZguy
    commented on 's reply
    The theft thing is likely a red herring for all the reasons I mentioned... it just seems too easy and gives me the willies enough that even though my rational mind would tell me there's not really likely more to worry about than threaded pedals, I'd likely find myself popping them off every time I went in somewhere where the bike was out of view for more than five...

• ncmired
    commented on 's reply
    They are pricy, so I've only put them on bikes that get stowed more often. My errand bikes don't have them - not that that would stop the QR/thru-axle wheels from disappearing. For now anyways, I shop at low-traffic/theft places. and take my chances. I pre-order groceries for pickup, so I'm manning the bike then.
    Last edited by ncmired; 11-07-2023, 10:49 AM.

• AZguy
    commented on 's reply
    I had long considered these and the MKS stood out for sure - they had some decent pedal platforms too... pricey and since I generally only remove one, like my pedal platforms better than what they had and have a thin wrench that fits mine in the to-go box (with the brake pad shim for when the front wheel comes off) it just seemed easier to wrench the pedal off when throwing it in the vehicle...

I also have a concern (admittedly very minor) that some idiot might steal the pedals when parked in front of the pub (which would truly suck!) and didn't want to feel compelled to bring them in every time I stopped by... In all reality they could steal the conventional ones *if* they have a thin wrench and most idiot thieves wouldn't recognize them as quick release... and then even if they did might realize they need to unwrench the fitting from the crank for them to provide any real value... but still... imagining riding home without pedals isn't attractive lol...

• ncmired
    replied
    Originally posted by 73Eldo View Post
    Quick release pedals sound interesting. Mostly crappy photos but it sorta looks like the most common ones use what kinda looks like an air/hydraulic fitting sort of a thing? Does that then become the bearing or is there still bearings in the pedal like normal?
    Most of the QR pedals have bearings within the pedal casting but are also capable of turning within the QR portion. IMO, the best ones are the Japanese MKS (Mikashima) Ezy Superior versions, which have a 1/4-turn lock (as opposed to a losable retaining clip). You're right though, the mechanism is very similar to the air/hydraulic QR fittings:

A thin wrench is required to install them - I use a strong 15mm cone wrench.

Not much to go by, but I've had a pair of the less-expensive Chinese retaining clip-style ones fail.
    Last edited by ncmired; 11-07-2023, 10:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

• 73Eldo
    replied
    Quick release pedals sound interesting. Mostly crappy photos but it sorta looks like the most common ones use what kinda looks like an air/hydraulic fitting sort of a thing? Does that then become the bearing or is there still bearings in the pedal like normal?

Leave a comment:

• AZguy
    commented on 's reply
    Haha... likely too often more like a $100 bike with $250 worth of electrics... sold for $1000... true "bargain"... =]

• 73Eldo
    commented on 's reply
    Ya I have run into that too. "But its a $1000 bike!" No, If you are lucky its $250 bike with $750 of E stuff on it. More likely its a $100 bike with $400 worth of E stuff and $500 profit for the seller that knows or cares nothing about anything other than making easy money.

• Dshue
    replied
    My 29'er e bike fits in my Toyota RAV4. I fold 1 rear seat forward, remove the QR front wheel, lower the seat, and roll it in back tire first. Strap it in and I'm on the road. Only takes 5 minutes. And there is plenty of room for the wife's Lectric XP.

Leave a comment:

• AZguy
    commented on 's reply
    There are plenty of folks that just plain don't have the skills, let alone time, space, tools or desire to build... while I think anyone that owns a bicycle ought to be able to do simple maintenance, some folks just aren't even cut out for that....

There will always be space for manufactured electric bikes... the problem I see is waaaaay too many people that are in the camp of not building don't seem to understand that a $1000 electric bike has a very high chance of becoming at best a garage queen and too often a useless heap...

• AZguy
    replied
    My big bike would fit in the back of the car once both wheels were removed... a short task that took about as long as putting the rack on... for short carries usually would just throw on the rack since it would reduce the time at the trails... but for hauling further seemed worth it to put it in the back for the obvious big theft reduction but also a lot better gas mileage

In the van I can just throw it in but usually take the fifteen seconds to pop the front wheel off by pushing it in rear wheel first and then once the crank/motor is sitting on the back with the front wheel hanging out spin off the QR... definitely very quick compared to either rack or both wheels with the car...

Most of the time I'll pop off one of the pedals - for longer hauls (more than a day trip) in the van I'll strap the bike to the side so it leaves plenty of floor space... I'd considered QR pedals but since it only takes about five seconds with the proper wrench figured just not worth it...

Never much liked riding the bikes with smaller wheels

Leave a comment:

• Retrorockit
    commented on 's reply
    This fits 26"
    An install guide for our new Tank kit for converting your mid drive electric bike into a mini snowmobile.https://lunacycle.com/luna-m1-tank-tracks-conversion...

• penndan
    replied
    Good points, ncmired.
    But I have fairly small Jeep and my Himway would not fit crossways and my even longer wheelbase Heybike also won't fit. But luckily I have a bike rack that fits into my trailer hitch that does the job nicely.

And a family from Iowa came up to Minneapolis and bought the Himiway. so I'm firmly committed to the Heybike (for a while).

Leave a comment:

• brothergc
    commented on 's reply
    I agree with Retrorockit '
    Building Your own IMO is the way to go . It's a fun learning experience and You get to pick the components . Much info on building Your own is available on You tube .
    The problem one might want to consider is that all things mechanical will at one point in time wear out . And when it does will You be able to get parts ?
    Will the manufacture of some pre made Ebike be around in 5 years ? How easy will I be able to get a new battery when it wears out ?
    Me personally, I like the idea of the Bafang eco system , The BBHD especially. Because I am not locked into some part that will only work on that brand of E-Bike .
    I admit some of these pre made bike look cool , but when I look at those batteries and displays , they look like I would have to buy their parts while the bafang parts I can source from many retailers
Working...
X