Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mid drive with over 90 nm max torque with Gates belt

Question:
    Any real world experience and concern around using Gates CDX belt on high torque mid drive builds (motor has over 90 nm)?
    My apologies if this has been discussed before on this forum. I can not seem to find it.

Context:
    1. Mid drive motors can produce > 90nm torque, examples: BBS02, BBSHD, CYC photon and the list goes on.
    2. Gates belt drive - specifically its premium CDX product line can be a desirable option for many reasons: it's quiet, low maintenance, aesthetically pleasing etc.
    3. Gates seems to suggest it will void warranty if it goes above 90 nm - I believe it's referring to the belt. See below statement quote from 2021 official Gates ebike manual, link https://www.gatescarbondrive.com/~/m...-manual-en.pdf

A note about power: Gates Carbon Drive components have been designed
    and tested to handle higher loads than most eBike motors produce. If you are
    using a mid-drive motor that exceeds 90 Nm of torque, contact Gates Carbon
    Drive to ensure system warranty.‚Äč

A lot can depend on the gearing it's used with. A large front sprocket can reduce the load the belt actually sees. Gates mostly directs the marketing for this at OEMs. So the warranty question may involve thousands of units and a lot of money. It's not as DIY friendly as a whippy old chain drive. Frame deflection, axle alignment under load, belt line issues are all expected to be by the book.
    I would ask Gates and see what they have to say about power over 90Nm. is warranty a big issue for you. or will having a spare belt be enough. The DIY 2 Part Warranty = If it breaks I guarantee you own both pieces.
    Every DIY bike is going to be different. There are no actual assurances possible with this.
    Last edited by Retrorockit; 10-11-2023, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Is this for the final drive to the rear wheel? I have two trikes I just finished mid mount motors on, the TongSheng model.
      Retired Commercial Electrician and HVAC/R

Comment

The Gates CDX belt drive system is a popular choice for bicycle drivetrains, offering advantages such as low maintenance, quiet operation, and cleanliness compared to traditional chain drives. Candy Crush

Comment

• Retrorockit
          Retrorockit commented
          Editing a comment
          But it relies on other components for gearing. A lot depends on what iy's attached to.

I have a CDX on my Momentum UX and 1000 W. BBSHD. Put about 3000 miles on it. Only issue I really had is belt skip when starting out in high gear from stop. Thinking about the 3x3 Nine rear IGH now that it is available for individual purchase, which is suppose to be rated for 250NM. Does anyone have any experience with this hub or any pitfalls I may run into?

Is there any interest out there for a modified crank that would fit a Gates or similar carbon fiber belt with an existing BBSHD? I know I would love to jettison the chain and cluster in the back to switch to an all belt drivetrain. Just wondering if others would be interested as well. With Luna's ability to CNC new stuff I

Comment

Working...
        X