E-bike popularity is surging, creating regulatory challenges on U.S. roads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E-bike popularity is surging, creating regulatory challenges on U.S. roads

Another concern seems to be that as the popularity of these e-bikes increases, so does the injury rate and severity of injuries.
    What is the current debate about e-bike safety and does it need to change?​

The safety debate varies by locality. Exploding batteries get a lot of media attention.

Comment

In NYC building fires from all sorts of batteries (Segways, scooters, powered skateboards and hoverboards too). Pedestrians being run over by food delivery Ebikes on the sidewalks.
      In my experience fast Ebikes with throttles are safer than limited ones. But it requires you to Not Ride Like an ASS. All of the rules I've seen will get you killed in one situation or another. SNAFU pretty much defines riding in South Florida.
      Where I ride everyone seems happy if I ride fast enough to stay out of the way. Out of the way includes sidewalk riding (but not in the city).
      My definition of an accident is riding too close to something. If I ride safe for me, I'm riding safe for everyone else too
      The problem with regulatory solutions is they only apply to the people they can catch. Crotch rockets around here are basically immune to law enforcement.
      Last edited by Retrorockit; 10-26-2023, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Me and bicycles have always equaled injuries. Adding the electric motor hasn't changed the danger level one bit for me.

Comment

Working...
        X