Hope can give me some recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope can give me some recommendations

I want to buy a cargo bike. Cargo capacity is important and needs to be able to carry people:
    1) Maximum speed must be 28 mph. Slow bikes clog roads and slow down traffic.
    2) Front suspension is a must. There are too many potholes in my city.
    3) A rear luggage rack basket is a must, but I wish there was an option to carry passengers.
    4) Other requirements: powerful engine (at least 750, probably more), hydraulic brakes priority, good cargo trailer, integrated lights.​

First I would say BBSHD at 48V 1500W. probably the most reliable thing out there. Might be the only thing that can hit 28mph on that type of bike.
    Defiine cargo bike. Some have 2 front wheels and the rear bike part turns. These are usually the ones that can carry passengers. The other passenger type is the traditional 3 wheel Bikehsaw setup.
    2 wheels and passengers can be a balance problem unless working as a team on a tandem. The Bikeshaw could have a large frame mounted front basket.
    A DH triple tree fork will be an option on the Bikeshaw layout. Maybe provide suspension for the passenger seats.

Comment

• Jimmyminy
      Jimmyminy commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for your advice, it's very helpful to me.

Hi NYC Jim, are you going to ride this season because to go electric that will take lots of $ and time & work. However: an interim 'Big Red' product maybe IDK?
    (Passenger, suspension, speed, real acceleration, cargo, trailer, lights)=>$2K ~ NAVI?< + license + plate + helmets and ride in May with cargo and passenger as required.

Comment

• Jimmyminy
      Jimmyminy commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I'm considering buying, maybe not that soon, but I'm considering it.

Cargo? People? And you mention a trailer? What sort of people are we talking about including the driver? A driver that weights 150 and a couple real little kids? Or are we talking 2 adults so more like 300-400 pounds? Are the kids in the trailer or is the cargo?

Comment

• Jimmyminy
      Jimmyminy commented
      Editing a comment
      We are talking about a rider and a kid 6 year old. The back seat can carry loads when unoccupied. But sometimes there is back seat that be able to take the child out.

Since this is clearly not an electric bike (not class 1, 2 or 3) it's not likely to find something off-the-shelf... which means building... and for 28mph with a trailer with passengers, clearly >1500W (let alone 750W)... I'd be shooting for at least 3kw... Have fun with your project and let us know how it goes!

Comment

Yuba, Xtracycle. Surly Big Dummy Big Easy.

Comment

Radpower has a Radwagon that's just a longer small wheel fatbike. Grin Technology might be able to help you hit your performance goals with a hub motor. But going fast for very long really takes it out of the battery. Maybe even add a 2nd front hubmotor. But the windings need to match the speed range.

Comment

• Jimmyminy
          Jimmyminy commented
          Editing a comment
          thanks for your advice. Maybe consider buying a replaceable battery when buying a ebike. Then you don’t have to worry about the cruising range.

Yeah - vague specifications (I don't even know why I bother to respond) - when OP said trailer and carry people I was thinking more like a pedicab

Regardless, I'll stick with going 28mph carrying a passenger is not a [legal] electric bike and that to carry a passenger at 28mph for any length of time we are looking at more than 1500w... 3kw does seem about right for a minimum (so also misses legal electric bike)... and yes, huge battery...

I think most folks don't understand that 28mph is very fast on a bike nor the energy demands of going that fast, especially with a load...

And new folks.... if you want good answers post very detailed questions succinctly... GIGO.. and it wastes people's time...

Comment

Working...
        X