Going legal (in Canada)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going legal (in Canada)

Apologize for the barrage of questions/posts. Learning lots from this forum, it's greatly appreciated.

I live in BC, Canada - where our e-bike laws say 500W is the maximum. On the recommendations of many I picked up 2 BBSHD kits, which are a total gas...but obviously over the legal limit. I

I understand the laws are poorly thought out and rarely enforced, but I'd like to program my BBSHDs to at least come as close to compliance as possible for when we are riding on public roads. Would a current limit of 18A bring me towards that goal? I have the color displays as well so setting a 32km/hr limit is easy as well. These 2 settings would of course be changed up when I hit the trails, which is the primary reason I built the bike. Realistically my wife's bike would probably spend it's life at the lower setting, while mine would only occasionally be reduced.

Comments guys? Is a BBSHD at 18A going to keep me around 500W nominal?

Here is a copy of the regulation. Key word is continuous at 500w. I see many ebikes/escooters here advertised at 500/800w (continuous/peak) as being legal here. So if you can adjust it to meet those parameters you should be OK.
    http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bcl...eside/151_2002
    http://www.icbc.com/vehicle-registra...ric-bikes.aspx
    Speed at 32km/h is probably more important to avoid legal attention. I have never heard of an ebike getting checked here locally. I think if it happens the worst would be a warning.

Comment

Do you actually think police would care if you were riding an ebike down the highway at 45-50km/hr? Do you think they should?

Comment

Further on the power rating, I think that is a significant grey area of confusion. Even though we often use 52V batteries (though how would they even know if you were checked), the controllers are still rated at 48V. And 18a X 48v would be 864w. But that is peak. So how would you determine nominal at flat and level? My ebike at 32km/h flat and level only consumes about 5a (no pedaling). So is that the nominal power? Anyway, lots of room for argument (or rationalization) if you need it.

Comment

I'm not sure about deciding what is peak vs nominal...seems to me that the 500W de-rated BBS02 kits up here are at either 18 or 20 amps, so that's what I'm basing my guess on.

Either way, combined with a speed restriction set at the legal limit, I can't see why I shouldn't be OK. in fact, I'm probably just being paranoid...but what the heck if it's got loads of power at 18A or 20A like the "programming guide" suggests I don't see a good reason to not try to comply.

Comment

If you have a color display you can put a KH/h limit it's in the advanced menu, on mine it's the controller that regulates the speed so it doesnt read what the LCD preset is. You could try it! and if it works you could leave it at 32kh/h and show it to the cops that pulled you over....

Comment

Working...
            X