No announcement yet.

LED Headlight, anyone found a Good one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone installed a luna light and can share some photos of the set up.

Comment

• e-rod
      e-rod commented
      Editing a comment
      Luna cycle has these in stock. the non e

Luna Cycles has the cyclops, regular power, led for 37$, it.s

luna cycles 37$cyclpos and 15$ seat post tailight. Perfect! . https://lunacycle.com/extras/lights/

• e-rod
      e-rod commented
      Editing a comment
      the cyclops has a clamp for the handle bar, i put mine under the bar out of the way the tail light uses zip ties to mount. run the headlight wire to the taillight and splice into it's wire. then run the taillight wire to the battery connector on the motor side. no fuse. done. each light has it's own switch. works with or without the bike turned on.

Not a Luna Light; but a few ideas on mounting anyway. :-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	headLamp.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	22048

Click image for larger version

Name:	tailLamp.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	22049

These are dyno driven LED lamps that came with traditional mounts which are not well suited to mountain bikes.
    I used a combination of aftermarket clamps made for GoPro to mount both lamps.
    I found that I just did not have room on my handlebars for a lamp holder and mounting the headlight on front air shock forks was not an option for obvious reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Sather View Post
      Karl at Electric-Fatbike.com recommended this one. I now have 2 of them that have been working fine for over a year. At 52 volts they are crazy bright.
      https://electricbike-blog.com/2015/0...ght-from-ebay/
      I am currently using one nearly identical to the one that Karl shows in that link, only been using it about a week, but it is very bright with out being blinding to other riders/drivers, no over-heating issues so far.

Comment

Just as an up-date, I have been using the same inexpensive light now for 3 - 4 months with no issues. I also had a Q for those who have installed a similar light to a BBSXX set-up, where have you tied in the light? I tried using the USB port for a customer's bike, but the light is rated for a minimum of 12V, so no joy.

Preferably, I would like to wire it in so that it operates with the power switch for the BBS02, so I am guessing the best place would be off of the switch it's self? (Light is able to take 12 - 84V so getting full power from the 48V battery will be no problem)

Comment

I wired my lights to the charge port on my triangle packs, with a 1A fuse. Long, glass bus fuse, not a little plastic one. I did a fuse blow test at full pack voltage and had no arcing with that style fuse. So I'm confident enough to use that type of automotive fuse, which is NOT rated for my 58.8V, on my own ebike builds.

Lately, I think that method of pulling power from the charge port on any pack is discouraged, as you may not get low voltage protection via that port, so forgetting to turn your light off could potentially discharge the pack too far.

More recent advice, around here anyway, is to take lighting power from the pack's power leads.

You should fuse the added circuit near the pack to protect the wiring in case of a short. BMS may be enough to prevent arcing from a damaged wire - some claim this, but nobody seems to have proven it, so my own advice is that a fuse is prudent. And necessary for any customer build, I would think, unless you can be certain the BMS will take care of any shorting issues - even in a low-current, high resistance fault condition, as can happen with damaged wire insulation.

There is an 'ignition on wire' that in the Bafang display harness which gets pack voltage when the BBS controllers are on. You could tap into that to drive a relay or similar, and have lights come on with system power, as you mentioned. I think its the orange wire in the 7 wire harness, if I remember correctly? Whichever one only shows pack voltage when controller is on.
          Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Sweet, ya, tapping into the wire that allows the display "see" voltage would probably be ideal, but in the mean-time, found some lights that plug right into the USB port at the base of the display, using that for now. Yeah, I too used the charging lead till I read further that it was discouraged by Luna, now I have a tail light that is direct to the battery to motor leads with switch, but I managed to get the switch stuck in the "on" postition DOH! Great light especially for the price: https://lunacycle.com/black-friday/rear-light/. In future, I hope to find a wireless system that allows me to tap into battery power with separate switch, transmitting 12v so you have much more options in lighting.

Comment

Has anyone here used the " Fancy Custom Light 12 V " that has two lights in the center with an amber colored light on either side of them? Has these lights mounted in a small fairing, I'm kinda interested in them but there has been no feedback on them yet. I wonder what kind of mounting system this setup uses ?

Comment

• ykick
                ykick commented
                Editing a comment
                Wondering the same thing myself? Merely an interior photo would reveal a lot about how to attach it to a ride?

I know Ykick, after exploring this option I came across some handlebar extensions that would probably suffice as mounting brackets. Been wanting something up front to kinda give me some sort of aerodynamic help as I have mounted a SH33 trunk bag on the back and it has a significant air drag effect. Plus I've been wanting to incorporate some turn signals as well. We'll see where it goes from here. Haven't posted any pics largely due to how everyone seems to be all mid drive oriented as of late........ Ride on safely friends!!!

Comment

Trailtech (dirt motorcycle stuff) makes one that is rip-your-face-off bright, awfully compact, and would bolt right up to most bars. Highly rugged, waterproof, and not too heavy. Nice mounts. They are used for enduro moto races, where the bikes are not generally equipped with terribly powerful charging systems, yet often race in dusky conditions. As I recall from my life in that venue, they offer a battery pack for bikes with NO electrical system. Also, as I recall, there are a couple of beam patterns. The focused beam is obnoxiously bright (great for woods riding) but will get you high-beamed on the road and is therefore illegal, if that matters. to you. They also have a "flood" beam. They are equipped with a high/low switch. Their old LEDs were on the blue side of the spectrum, which made them sort of disconcerting to ride in fog. I'll try to find a link, I think I bought my last set from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC.
                Last edited by Canuman; 03-13-2017, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Thanks Canuman, share that link when you find it. Be worth looking at.

Comment

http://www.trailtech.net/lighting/led You can generally find them for half the advertised cost. I never ran one off a high-tech battery, but I know they will run for a darm long time off a 12v lead-acid batt of very moderate size. There are also plenty of good lighting threads at the Adventure RIder motorcycle site, where people have been facing similar questions for years www.advrider.com. IMHO, most of the bicycle lights available are too wimpy and lightly built to handle the vibration and rough use of powered transport. You've got to be awfully careful if you want to put together a really world-class electrical system. It can get awfully dark up in Newfoundalnd in the middle of the woods in the rain. Ask me how I know.

Comment

i want to try the supernova m99 pro e-bike light but i want to connnect it to my bbshd, there are some instructional videos online but it is only for bosch system.

this bad boy shoots 1600 angels "lumens" :D
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	m99_pro_front_angle.jpg Views:	1 Size:	41.6 KB ID:	31208

by the way i just found out that latest stromer models are using same bike lights :D
                      Last edited by pcliteuser; 03-25-2017, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Wow, a $300-400 headlight? I'll stick to much cheaper options......

Comment

Originally posted by pcliteuser View Post
                          i want to try the supernova m99 pro e-bike light but i want to connnect it to my bbshd, there are some instructional videos online but it is only for bosch system.

this bad boy shoots 1600 angels "lumens" :D
                          Click image for larger version Name:	m99_pro_front_angle.jpg Views:	1 Size:	41.6 KB ID:	31208

by the way i just found out that latest stromer models are using same bike lights :D
                          I couldn't find th Pro model for sale, when I tried to get one. Only the lower models, but not the full featured one with adaptive beam. That's the PRO model, as I recall That seemed to only be available to OEMs.

Are they for sale to the public now? Link please?
                          Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

I could only find one German site. http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=...0,1411;page=25 I'm having a hard time getting past the $500 price tag. What do they think? Do they think they are selling to the yachting or aircraft industry?

Here is a link to a guy who sells high end light solutions. Still mostly to expensive for me. http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/index.html

Comment

Working...
                          X