LED Headlight, anyone found a Good one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by calfee20 View Post
    I could only find one German site. http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=...0,1411;page=25 I'm having a hard time getting past the $500 price tag. What do they think? Do they think they are selling to the yachting or aircraft industry?

Here is a link to a guy who sells high end light solutions. Still mostly to expensive for me. http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/index.html
    Cool, thanks for sharing that. It's about twice as expensive as I expected, hmmm. Some of that is the CANbus capability which I'd never use.

I'm kind of a light geek/snob for hobby stuff. I despise being blinded by glare, so I am correspondingly willing to do what I can to have great lighting, without blinding others. I tend to install nice lights with good optics on most of my project vehicles for safety, and that M99 Pro looks pretty great for ebikes. If it is as effective as it claims, it's an investment for a lifetime of ebiking. It's 24-60V ready, so can easily be moved from ebike to ebike, if you have more than one.

This light might actually turn out to be a decent value if I can use it for the rest of my ebiking days. But I'd sure like to see one in real life, or I probably wouldn't dare order one. I'd at least want to see a highly credible review. Pics from the manufacturer look terrific, but you know how that goes.... There are a couple of beamshots and profile shots on this product page: http://www.supernova-lights.com/en/m99-pro

The joys of a well defined photon beam are endless.

I warned you guys that I'm kind of a light geek. If you will indulge a moment of off topic diversion, I shall attempt to entertain you with a couple of beamshots. This is a light I built with the goal of obtaining the tightest possible beam, with the least possible spill, purely for fun to see what I could achieve.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1030527.JPG Views:	1 Size:	196.3 KB ID:	31735
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1030002_zps57b32757.jpg Views:	1 Size:	204.2 KB ID:	31736

It's only a couple hundred watts. But some of the moths just drop to the ground.....

I didn't want to blow up this page with posted pictures, but I did attach a few more in case anyone wants to see more detail.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by JPLabs; 03-30-2017, 08:06 PM.
    Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

• theronchaplin
      theronchaplin commented
      Editing a comment
      Was Batman angry when he showed up and you had nothing for him to do? LOL Seriously that's some crazy lighting! Nice work!

• JPLabs
      JPLabs commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha, thanks, funny. I actually did try a foil bat shape but it won't focus on the clouds, it's just dimmer that way. Sadly!

It's nice on July 4th, quiet, safe(er?) and fun to play on all the smoke in the sky. I especially like lighting up the Chinese Lanterns when I spot one. Floating a balloon and following it as long as possible is a good game, too.
      Last edited by JPLabs; 03-31-2017, 06:32 AM.

• theronchaplin
      theronchaplin commented
      Editing a comment
      The fact that you tried to make it a bat signal just makes it more awesome.

Back on topic. To have a well controlled beam, I learned from the above project that a small point source is needed. For LEDs, that's tough. They need more area to be bright enough, so tend to have multiple LEDs. That means lenses and reflectors simply can't provide fine focus. Single LED lights can do better, but they all seem to be spotlights, not lights with well formed headlight beams.

For a bike headlight, vertical glare is the problem. Lateral 'spill' isn't a problem. In fact, you want more spill down and to the sides. Just not upwards. The M99 has multiple LEDs, and addresses beam control with multiple reflectors. But, a very simple light with a horizontal row of LEDs could have tight vertical control, and good lateral spread, without even having an optical (focusing) reflector, I think. Just a light guard. Place a horizontal plate just above the LED string, and use that to set the upper cutout. Polished aluminum so that light gets thrown downward instead of up. Move it for high/low beam.

Has anybody seen or built a light like that?
    Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

after days of research i lost my interest on supernova lights i realized that it is more like a car light (strong and directional) and as a commuter i kinda looking for visibility only, kinda of light that scatters around me and kinda of light that doesn't blind incoming traffic / pedestrian.

Comment

pclitteuser, for visibility I recently purchased this light by ledbylite.com, from Amazon or you can buy direct from them. Really like them at night, but like you I feel I need a better headlight. Currently using a cygolite 350,it has several different blinking patterns and charges by usb. Hope this helps.

Comment

• pcliteuser
          pcliteuser commented
          Editing a comment
          thanks! i will check that out

Originally posted by Dale H View Post
        pclitteuser, for visibility I recently purchased this light by ledbylite.com, from Amazon or you can buy direct from them. Really like them at night, but like you I feel I need a better headlight. Currently using a cygolite 350,it has several different blinking patterns and charges by usb. Hope this helps.
        I checked that light out along with similar others on Amazon, how well has it held up? So many reviews seemed to be hit or miss : | (oops I think I was thinking of another light, do you have a link? I see several listed on Amazon with the name "cyolite 350" not sure which is which? thanks! )

Oh and as an aside, I am still in the search for a good USB powered light that I can plug into the USB port on the Bafang DPC-14 display, it seems most lights need more than the 500 mA of power it provides, I found one that I thought would work, but apparently it needs at least 700 mA (or at least the USB ports on my PC, and a LG 700mA charge provide just enough for this light). It's more of a spot than as defused as I would like, but at least using such low wattage, it would last a really long time on very low power, I have a rechargeable phone bank coming that should provide enough juice.

I still have a Magic Shine (they used to rate them at 900 lumen, but some say they are closer to 750) all I know is they are REALLY bright, and if you look around, you can find them with replaceable lenses to give you what ever pattern you need, stock they will just blind everyone, but I got some nice diffusers that seem to help enough that you can keep that to a minimum.
        Last edited by LI-ghtcycle; 04-13-2017, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Here ya go Li-ghtcycle https://www.amazon.com/CygoLite-Dash.../dp/B013CVSXF2, it's cheaper now than when I first bought it. As far as how it has held up, I normally get a couple hours out of it if my commute is 20 + miles. On short commutes, 8-10 miles each way, I can go two days without charging. At night this thing throws a really good beam, lights up the road really well. For something brighter but not so bright as to blind oncoming traffic I understand the also make up to 800 lumen models, although the price goes up incrementally with each brighter unit. Hope this helps out.

Comment

Here ya go Li-ghtcycle https://www.amazon.com/CygoLite-Dash.../dp/B013CVSXF2, it's cheaper now than when I first bought it. As far as how it has held up, I normally get a couple hours out of it if my commute is 20 + miles. On short commutes, 8-10 miles each way, I can go two days without charging. At night this thing throws a really good beam, lights up the road really well. For something brighter but not so bright as to blind oncoming traffic I understand the also make up to 800 lumen models, although the price goes up incrementally with each brighter unit. Hope this helps out.
            Thanks Dale. That looks good! I was resisting getting a light with a separate battery, wanting to run it off my pack. But thinking more broadly about how I'd use it, I've reconsidered the merits of a light like this one, and now I like the idea quite a lot. It would make a very nice flashlight when not on the bike. It can easily strap to a branch for area lighting, or as a location beacon, while camping. Etc.

As mentioned, there are different models/versions.

This one is 450 Lumen version, for the same price. It's heavier and has longer runtimes than the 350 Lumen version you posted, so I think it has a bigger battery:

https://www.amazon.com/Dash-Pro-450-...QZGF1TPS890K88

I was about to order one myself, but reading the reviews and looking at pictures, this light throws as much light up, as down, and is said to be very blinding to traffic due to glare. That's not something I personally am looking for, so decided not to try it, after all. But the other features and performance sound great.
            Last edited by JPLabs; 04-16-2017, 09:18 AM. Reason: Decided not to try one after all, due to glare. Updated accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by thead73 View Post
              Its getting darker earlier now and i have been looking to get a headlight to mount on my bars and power it from my 52volt battery, I cant seem to find lights that will take that voltage. do i need to install a voltage converter first? has anyone put a light on their bike using 52volts?
              I installed a Supernova M99 Pure on my Haibike Sduro. I wanted to have a light pattern that is wide and bright which I could activate from my ebike's keypad. You can read my article here on my blog. I have been really quite pleased with the light and it's illumination pattern as well as the convenience of being able to use my ebike's main battery. I had tried other lights with their own power supply but got tired of charging so many units.

The light pattern of the Supernova M99
              Daytime running lights which automatically switch to night beam.
              Haibike Sduro OEM control pad which I use to turn on my light.
              Installing the wiring involved dropping the motor which is quite easy.
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Dale! I will look into this light, it looks similar to one I should have in the mail any day now ...

Thanks also JP, I agree, much better to have one that doesn't require a separate battery pack.

Comment

After trying a couple of DC powered lights and realizing that none of them did even close to what I wanted at all - bright (800-1000+lumen) wide beam for off-road, medium beam (80-120ish lumen) that won't annoy oncoming but illuminates the ground immediately in front of me and a very dim "identification" mode (1 lumen) that makes me legal but doesn't do anything more than that and no attention getting side lighting, I got one of these: https://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-al...se-bike-mount/ and use my flashlight and get exactly what I want from a beam perspective but unfortunately not from a power perspective. Other than it not being DC powered I like the mount a lot. It's very reasonably priced and is easy to adjust and to take the light on and off the bike.

I've resigned myself to the understanding that bike light manufacturers aren't targeting my mission (see but not be seen)...

Comment

• calfee20
                    calfee20 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh I like that flashlight mount.

I considered Supernova, but it was just too expensive to import the high-voltage models. (discount German etailers will not ship to the US) Settled on the newest B&M model: IQ-X 150 lux. Very happy with it so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Berg View Post
                    I considered Supernova, but it was just too expensive to import the high-voltage models. (discount German etailers will not ship to the US) Settled on the newest B&M model: IQ-X 150 lux. Very happy with it so far.
                    That one does sound like a very suitable option. Up to 60V, under $200, bright, with a non-blinding, wide pattern - approved for fast ebikes. Hmmm, will read up on it more. I'd looked over B&M lights via the Peter White site, but didn't learn of this one until today.

Thanks.

Comment

you mean bike headlight like this? http://amzn.to/2p8eikd i got this DuaFire last year, it's rechargeable, cheap and fine.

Comment

I have been using this one for a while now, and works great, very bright.

And this switch.

And these are my daytime to be seen lights, flashing red for the rear, and white for the front.

Comment

• JPLabs
                          JPLabs commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Bright, yes. But those type of lights with axially symmetrical beam patterns are blinding to incoming traffic. A better light has a pattern which is shaped to put light where you need it, while minimizing glare for others.

I have BM Luxos IQ2 I think it says on it and I am very happy with it for light pattern etc.
                        It switches light beams depending upon speed and setting and I've yet to have oncoming traffic flash me high beams because of blindness.

It is dynamo powered and runs rear BM Secula Plus as well while providing all the lighting I need.

My only complaint is that the rear light wires sometimes fall off because of handlebar twist and I'm reluctant to really crimp them tight less I wear out the lugs or something.
                        Still after thousands of miles I have zero desire to try any other light setup.
                        Rain snow or fog it's like the Eveready bunny.
                        You can order 3 watt model from Germany to the States.
                        So if you like building wheels grab a decent dynamo hub and pair it with the BM.
                        You don't need the USB port model with our ebikes so I think it's under $200 for the setup.

Comment

Working...
                        X