"Pop off" pedals, for storage or transport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Pop off" pedals, for storage or transport

I knew that "folding" pedals existed, and recently I have been transporting my ebike to work so I can work on it there (the plant operates 24/7, so there's lots of time to kill when I'm caught up on my work). I've been working a lot of hours, so I don't have any time at home to spend on my hobby.

Anyways, the thought occurred to me that it was time to get some of those folding pedal sets to make it easier to load and unload the bike, and to keep from jabbing my leg with the stock pedals on occasion, when squeezing between the bike and car to get through the garage. I started looking online, and sure enough, there are cheap folding pedals, and some that looked nicer, typically advertised for folding bikes. And then, something caught my eye. Removable pedals. I hadn't heard about them before.

If you are familiar with the "Quick Disconnect" (QD) ends of a hydraulic hose or a pneumatic hose, the retaining ring works just like those. You pull a knurled ring towards the bike, and the pedal comes off. Very easy, and works quite well. The search term for what I have is:
    MKS MT-E EZY Pedals Quick Release

I paid about $60 (shipping included) from ebay. There were cheaper versions, but I was afraid they would be weak and would break fairly quick. Looks on an ad can sometimes be deceiving, but...after using these for about a month, I am very happy with how well they work, and how robust they feel.

The only warning I would give a friend who was buying them is: I couldn't find a stock wrench thin enough to screw them onto the crank-arms, so I found an old wrench that fit, and used the bench grinder to make it just thin enough to squeeze in (wrench shown in pic)

Now, that's a clever idea!

Make up a length of braided stainless hose and connect it from one crank arm to another, around a post at work, as a humorous but not very effective lock.
    Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

A quality 15mm cone wrench works very well also.. another brand that I use and has many different pedal type options is the Wellgo QRD series .. I run both the MKS (platform and clipless) as well as the QRD's .. QRD's using a hex wrench from the back side of the crank arm to remove the coupler .. functionally, I like them both about equally.. cosmetically, the nod goes to the MKS ..

Comment

Thanks! I saw a couple of different types, and I tried to envision how they operated, in order to figure out which would be easier to pop on and off. Sometimes even a small difference can make a more pleasant daily operation, and...I'm pleased with how they turned out.

Comment

I just wanted to add that, I didn't buy there for their theft deterrent, but...they pop off and on so easily, I am finding that I remove them when the bike is going to be within eyesight (at the park with grandson, etc). If someone wanted to steal my ebike, I doubt they could figure out turning it on to run away using electric power, but....they could easily pedal away faster than I could run. Popping off even just one pedal, and slipping it into my pocket provides a lot of confidence that I can't be easily pedaled away.

Comment

Back in my college days I had a newsboy bike from the 30's that I used as transportation. It was beat up and ugly, so no one would really want to steal it, but a parties, drunk students would sometimes "borrow" it to ride home. The effective solution was a combination padlock that I'd use to lock the chain to the chaining. Otherwise, it just swung under my seat locked to a seat rail.

They get half a revolution in before they flip over the handlebars.

Comment

LOL!...drunk frat boy crashing "borrowed" bike after just a couple feet...

Comment

Working...
              X