Battery maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery maintenance

I find myself amazingly ignorant on the maintenance of batteries. A few months back I bought a kit and a battery pack but because of health reasons I have not been able to do anything with it and I am afraid it will go bad if I don't charge it or do something. I'm 91 years old and learning new things do not come as easily as it used to. I am afraid it will go bad if I did not do any thing – such as charge it or something.

I would appreciate any advice you could give me on storing my battery long-term. I am certain that I will be able to get around soon.

Keep it turned off and charge it to 80% once a week

Comment

• ancient11
      ancient11 commented
      Editing a comment
      I want to thank you very much, I would have hated to see the batteries ruined because of sheer neglect. Again, thank you

An individual cell probably could drain itself below what the battery safety circuits will tolerate, but that might take a year. You should own a voltmeter if you're going to work on an ebike. Turns out the nominal battery voltage (36 or 48 volts for example) represents close to 50% charge, which is optimal for long term storage. Storing it at 100% charge actually degrades longevity faster. The voltage label on your charger, if they sold you the right one, is the 100% level for your battery, so you do not want to charge to full if you're not planning to use it.

That said, I was told by the e-bike shop last year to charge the battery once a month in the winter, as that is easier than telling the buyer to buy a meter, risk crossing wires, etc. And now that I have more than one e-bike, sometimes they sit with fully charged batteries because it's no fun to ride when it's 40 degrees and raining. That's World Series baseball weather here in the midwest though.

Comment

I want to thank you for answering my post. Any education I can get will really help. Now I must find out if a Sturmy Archer dual drive can survive the BBSHD.

Comment

Most recommendations say store at 50% charge

Comment

Your should also store it someplace that won't get too hot. Not more than about 100F, ideally. Temperatures people like are the same as the temperatures batteries like. So don't leave it in your attic or shed if they get real hot in summer. Cold isn't such a problem for storage, but they don't like to be used if frozen.

The storage location needs to be safe in case of a battery issue. Someplace smoke and heat wouldn't be disastrous in case of (very unlikely but possible) battery pack failure. Don't keep 'em under your bed, for instance :)

Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

How do you get the charge to 50%, let it drain. My rc car charger has a setting to reduce to a storage charge.

Comment

Harold,

For 50% charging:

If your pack is above desired pack voltage: Ebike chargers don't have a 'discharge' feature. You need to somehow load the battery if you want to drop it's State of Charge. Ride the bike. Or run something else off of it.

If your pack is below desired pack voltage: For charging with any typical ebike charger, you'd need to manually monitor voltage and unplug at your desired charge level. Or, get a programmable charger that allows custom profiles.
              Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Working...
              X