Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shimano Nexus 3 speed hub w/offset sprocket.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shimano Nexus 3 speed hub w/offset sprocket.

I used the stock Shimano hub and stock 19t sprocket on my GBM fat bike build. In order to get a good chain line I had to use the 42T Bling Ring. After some searching around I ran across a Ruff Cycles 22T x 10mm offset rear sprocket. This moved the chain line out enough for me to switch to 30T mighty mini. If the stock 46T, Luna 42T or the 130bcd adapter has a similar offset, it would also work with those, giving more gearing choices. The smallest chain ring you can use with the 130bcd is 38T. Not sure this would work with the 104bcd.

Hey Harold, I was looking at this cog for my build. Did you install it? Is it good?

Comment

I have two that I ground the tips of a few gear teeth off so it would fit inside of a 34t steel chainwheel with 104mm bcd. I then welded it to the Ruff sprocket giving a steel 34t cog with a 15mm offset. This aligns almost perfectly with a Mini 30 on my Gravity Deadeye Monster frame.
      Last edited by Lance Tesla; 02-26-2017, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Comment

Philtc, the sprocket works fine. It lines up with the BBSHD chainring adapter & 42t sprocket, and 42t bling ring. I think you could use a 38t chain ring with the bbshd adapter. I'll let you know, I ordered a Salsa 38t. I'm going to machine a 110 bcd adapter to fit a bmx 35t chain ring. Should have a similar offset to the Luna Eclipse and Bling ring. If it works you could use 34t-38t chain rings.
          Lance, slick work with the 2 rear chain rings. I've been thinking about doing a 2 chain ring front. One for the street and one for the trail. Could change it manually until I figure out how to modify a front derailleur.

Comment

That's one cog made from a chainring and an offset cog. It's a one-way trip once they are welded together....... Started with 22t donor and now have a 34t cog.

The only thing to be aware of is that the side loads applied by such an extreme offset require a new snap ring nearly everytime you remove it. Once the ring gets weakened and the gap at the tips begins to open up it becomes prone to letting the cog pop off the hub when it is asked to transmit high torque. Replacement snap rings are cheap enough to buy in lots of 5 or 6 so I always have replacements on hand and in my trail bag!

Comment

Thanks for the heads up on the snap rings, hadn't thought of that.

Comment

Thanx Harold, whats your bike a bullseye monster or a deadeye monster? I like the 46t / 22t combo I've been waiting for a solution to install the Nexus 3 using the stock chainring.

Comment

I bought the Deadeye. I figured I'd be swapping out a bunch of stuff.

Comment

The only original items left on mine are the seat clamp, the top steering head bearing and race, the front rim and the rear rim. Also the rear spokes, but not the nipples! Not much, and I don't mind one bit: I was able to ride it as I built it and was never down waiting for parts except when I had the wheels laced into new hubs. Karl's recipe for GDMs rocks!

Comment

Hey I have the same Issue with the snap ring... Did you found a solution? Its kind of annoying . Thx!

Comment

I never found a solution either. I think it is just too much offset to accept the kind of torque I want it to handle. I am currently using a 46t Bafang steel chainwheel as a rear sprocket, I welded the chainwheel to the Ruff sprocket with the offsets sort of cancelling themselves out. I used the steel chainwheel because I kept bending the steel Truvative chainwheels I was using to make sprockets. The Bafang chainwheel sprocket will never bend: it's like some motorcycle sprocket! It's also heavier than hell too, but with a hardtail fatbike, that's not as critical as reliability and longevity. The offset works with a Mini 30 and I think it will be even better with the Lekkie BlingRing at 46t.

It it is pretty much accepted that the stock 46t chainwheel is too big for off-road use with any of the commercially available cogs out there (18t to 26t), you have to make your own if you want to have decent gearing with the improved offset of the OEM and Lekkie chainwheels. Sheldon Browns gear calculator is very helpful in gaming out a setup and it suggests even better results with 52t. Back when the BBSHD was first introduced a steel 52t chainwheel was either standard or was an option, IIRC, and I'd like to try one of those.......

My goal would be to have an all steel drive trail using an indestructible single speed ebike chain and a 3-speed IGH.

Comment

well that's disappointing I guess I'll go back to the stock one... 46t rear? wow this thing must be a wheelie machine.

Comment

I'm running a BBSHD with 52T fixed/track chainring, the same ruff cycles 22T sprocket with a stainless 1/8 roller width KMC chain to a nexus 3 speed. Wheel size is 20". I'm have the same snap ring issue, will be trying some heavy duty snap rings....The groove for the snap ring on the shimano nexus driver is chamfered, and allows the snap ring to unseat when side loads are applied. May have to run set screws through the holes in the HD snaprings into the sprocket, and add a sheer plate outboard of the snap ring to resist the snap ring trying to pry the set screws apart.

Plan B is to use a shaft collar for 1-3/8 ID.... the OD tend towards 2-1/4 and do not fit within the offset 22T sprocket, so may have to weld/bolt the two together.

Plan C is to rebuild the wheel with a single speed hub/freewheel.

Plan D is to thread the shimano nexus driver, and use threaded/fixed gear/SS sprocket.
                            Last edited by coffeebreak101; 05-15-2017, 06:48 AM.

Comment

I was not successful finding a conventional snap ring that uses pliers that would work with the Nexus 3. Please tell us if you find anything.

My chainline with eclipse 42t, Shimano 23t, and Nexus 3 is tolerable but if I were to do it all over again I'd get the SRAM DD3 instead.

Comment

Working...
                              X