Electric Bike to buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric Bike to buy

Hi, I would like to buy an electric foldable bike that has 3 modes: electric only, assisted pedal, pedal only. I wanted to spend around $1000 and be able to go with just trottle at least 20mph faster would be better. 20" wheel. Any recommendation? Thank you.

It sounds like you're wanting to buy a shop built bike complete and not build it yourself. If that's the case I don't know of any e-bike foldables at that price point, at least not new. If however you're willing to do the build yourself it's doable but will depend on battery & bike choice. If you opt for a hub drive, doing it yourself is relatively easy if you or a friend has minimal mechanical skills. This would also save you a considerable amount of money. May I be so bold to suggest you do some research on the pros & cons of the various drive systems so you will have a better idea of what will meet your needs. Then you can hunt down the bike & assist system that will suit you.

Comment

Originally posted by tonk View Post
      It sounds like you're wanting to buy a shop built bike complete and not build it yourself. If that's the case I don't know of any e-bike foldables at that price point, at least not new. If however you're willing to do the build yourself it's doable but will depend on battery & bike choice. If you opt for a hub drive, doing it yourself is relatively easy if you or a friend has minimal mechanical skills. This would also save you a considerable amount of money. May I be so bold to suggest you do some research on the pros & cons of the various drive systems so you will have a better idea of what will meet your needs. Then you can hunt down the bike & assist system that will suit you.
      Thank you for your help.

Comment

I have two Downtube folders with the Smart Pie conversion. Couldn't be happier with them. I think these are better value for the performance as well as the quality, than any ready to ride electric folder that you could buy. And the front wheel conversion is so easy to do. Here is a link to my mine. Start reading at post #8, and more later as I gained experience with them. I have done several ebike conversions, but these are still my fav.
        https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...-v5-vs-mp-edge

Comment

You did not mention a desired range but if you're good around 10-15 miles, the Luna Mini-folder is a great deal. Unfortunately, $650 shipped above your stated budget.

DIY is about the only way you'll reach the stated budget, IMO. At least for anything resembling a quality folding eBike.

Comment

This is a builders forum. A DIY person with some experience could build a folding bike for about $900. I'm in the midst of doing a pair of folders for my wife and myself. You go to a bike forum, and they spend $1000 on unpowered bikes. Different levels of expected performance/quality. Here's mine:

$300-350 for motor/wheel,electronics.
            $280-340 for a (decent by HarryS standards) folding bike.
            $250-$400 for a small battery and/or charger.
            Not to mention tools, electrical skills, bike mechanic expertise.

One could also buy something like the Ancheer folder on Amazon.com for $619 shipped. I was a bit intrigued by it, and some of the user reviews were very positive. It won't go 20 mph though, but I was more concerned about how I would replace the battery. Probably cost at least $400. With DIY, I would have a lot of flexibility in batteries. Also wondered if the folding parts wouldn't break,

Well, if I were trying to do this at lowest cost, I would have picked up a $100 folding bike off ebay. Add motor/battery for $600. Have about the same quality as the $619 Ancheer, but more options for eventual battery replacement. Instead, I opted for a better bike, although folderistas would still call our bikes (Downtubes) junk.

Best part of a folder is its small size when carried around. Adding 5 pounds of motor and 3 pounds of battery kinda defeats the charm. Another thing I've learned about folders is I prefer the ride on my wife's full suspension folder to mine with nothing. Skinny 20" tires pumped up to maximum PSI ride hard. Suspension adds 8 pounds though. Anyway, we'll never carry these things in busses or trains. They will go in the back of the car.

I've ridden regular size bikes in the Chicago's downtown bike lanes where taxis and people are everywhere. I thought 12 mph was a safe speed. Back in my home suburbs, I might go a little faster on the street. My folder has a 36V 350W motor with a 500W controller. It will do 22 mph on a 52V Luna mini battery, and 18 mph on a 36V weed whacker battery. I'm happy with 36 volts and will be using a battery that gives me about a 15 mile range. An hour on a folder is enough riding for me.

To close, I would recommend spending more money and buying one. A radmini with soft fat tires would be a nice ride, although a heavy carry, I've noted Ejoe Epiks for as low as $1299, The Luna folder is a lot of motor. Would prefer to see it have suspension and less motor.
            Last edited by HarryS; 02-21-2017, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Electric Scooter I would like to buy this year is, segway Swagtron T5 Hoverboard.
              Its fun to ride the monster(hoverboard).
              Last edited by rohnallen; 03-08-2017, 03:07 AM.

Comment

Best electric bike of 2017 are swagtron T1 hoverboard.

Manufacturer are comming up with new models of hoverboard in the market with rectification ofall odl faults.

Hoverboard amazon are selling new models of hoverboard, just have a look. And You definately love .

In category of electric bikes i think hover board are the best invention.

Comment

Working...
                X