Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shimano Nexus 3 Speed or Alfine 8 Speed on BBSHD build?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shimano Nexus 3 Speed or Alfine 8 Speed on BBSHD build?

Which of these two IGHs would be most efficient and cost effective for a hill climbing BBSHD commuter build?

Based on the gear ratios on Sheldon Browns website the Nexus 3spd ($110 at lbs) gears are basically the same as 3rd, 5th, and 8th on the Alfine ($230 at lbs). I'm planning to use the bike as a daily driver because most everything I do is within about 5 miles of my house. There are significant hills in the area though and I'm wondering if the lower gears on the Alfine would be worth the extra $120. Also from what I've read the Nexus 3 may last longer because it has less moving parts. Does anyone have any knowledge of the longevity of IGHs on a BBSHD build?

Also in your opinion is it worth switching from a derailleur system to an IGH?

I have the Nexus 3 speed hub with the bbshd on my fat bike. I use it for road and trail riding. I found the 3 speed covers pretty much any terrain. You can also change the front chainring to suit your particular situation. The 42T is a good all around set up. I tried the 30t and it was way too small for the road. If you have a lot of hills a mid 30t would work out better. I went with a offset rear sprocket ($30) which gives me more front chainring choices.
    My lbs charged $150 to convert the wheel, $60 for spokes, $60 labor, $20 for a disk brake converter, and tax. Add the cost of the hub and your at $260+. I also switched to a KMC igh chain for another $20.00.
    What I like is the simplicity, no chain line issues, and I shift a lot less vs the 8 speed cassette.
    The down sides are, your stuck with that wheel, and the cost of the conversion.

Comment

Many feel the 3speed IGH's are more durable and as the above poster states "covers pretty much any terrain". I don't completely agree, but that is for me & my riding style personally, YMMV.

I run a Sram8 with the Luna 42T & BBSHD on my original mnt bike build. I also live in mountainous country with a lot of elevation change doing both off-road (30%) & road (70%). I have ridden 3speed IGH's and wouldn't consider them for my riding needs. With this set-up I can do 22-24mph before cadence is too fast for me, 30mph throttle only on flats while being able to climb up to 50%+ grades before I feel the system is stressed (I weigh 235#). That said I also prefer more rider input, using assist only when I either can't or simply don't feel like putting out the effort needed for a particular scenario.

I have well over 1000miles on this system with no issues but I also am cautious not to stress it by running in higher gears simply because I can or shifting under power. If I have a complaint it is the low gears are not low enough for my riding style but I would not want to change the 42T front chainring because that would make the high end less than I would want since I'm on the road more than off. I'm using a Sram dual drive for a total of 24 gears on my new build but that is on a FS bent trike which doesn't have the chainline issues of a DF.

The Shimano Alfine is probably a better choice than the Sram if for nothing else more shops & mech's are familiar with it. Everything is a compromise and you need to fit your personal preferences.

Comment

I made a dual front sprocket set up, 38/42 for the igh. It's set up as a manual change. I figure the 38 is better for the trails, and 42t for the road.

Comment

Harold possible to post up some photos.

Comment

I posted a short write up and photos in the diy section. https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...inring-for-igh.

Comment

I have an Alfine 8 on a Surly fatbike with BBSHD and a couple thousand km without any issues. I do a lot of hill climbing and love the range of that IGH and my Eclipse 42. I never shift under load and would use this setup again without hesitation.

Comment

I have a Rohloff Speedhub 14 with a Luna 42T. BBSHD motor. From a price perspective, it's overkill. But it's amazing how well the hub pairs with the motor. The power of Pedal Assist 1 overcomes all gears on flat land. The 3 speed should be fine for you.

Comment

Working...
                X