Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

newbie on a budget please help

hi i'm paul from the uk
    42 in july i hope to get a conversion kit to aid my mobility around town i can do about 15 mile a day just going round the doors, on journeys out i could reach up to 60 miles.
    so i'm feeling a 1000w-1500w motor a generous aid for me. i have a muddy fox with full suspension i bought at xmas already it has a click in low gear as i push on the crank 2 in a full revolution I'm thinking iv'e probably crushed the bearings but if you know it would be be appreciated
    anyway back to the conversion kit i'm on disk brakes and see the rear wheel drives are a little cheaper but i'm not sure if i can get a rear drive with disks attached or if i have to buy something any help their is great
    so on that note i think the mid drives are a great little toy and probably better as i do have a slight buckle in the wheel i'm swaying more and more toward mid drive but still open to suggestions it would stop that clicking in low gear to if i went that way so can anyone help me choose a good conversion kit please i hope to kit my bike out for 1000 or less
    ps: that clicking does stop when i'm up to speed again it only happens when climbing hills i ride at around the 15mph mark and i'm a complete novice at E-bikes

That looks like a good candidate for conversion, plenty of room in the triangle for a shark pack it seems.

Comment

it took me a few month to find a decent shape and price almost new retailing at £200 i got it dropped off for 100 my only concern is the handlebars keep coming loose so may replace them before converting. (faster speeds means more vibration)
      as the build goes on i'll keep you guys in the loop

Comment

It sounds to me like the bike itself has a few issues, and I would highly recommend you get an LBS to look it over if you don't have the tools or knowledge to do it yourself. You really need to have everything in top order before adding an e-bike setup to it.

Comment

ok so a quick check on scott in support suggests a very good team their no question went unanswered i'm going to try out the Bafang BBS02 750w Mid Drive eBike KIT with 46t sprocket for mainly road use up to 60 mile,
          a colour lcd should i or shouldn't i ? Am i just wasting good money on a colour display ?

again a black right twist throttle is this a waste or should i just go with the thumb throttle ?

also going for the 52 v shark battery and 52v 3amp mini charger

whats your thought before i splash the cash

Comment

I went for the color screen, 52v 13.5aH GA bottle battery, and the Smart charger, myself. I plan on using PAS most of the time if not all the time, so didn't care about the throttle. If I were to have one, I would want the left thumb throttle because my right hand will have the rear derailleur controls. But they were out of stock of the left thumb throttle so I just ordered whatever the kit came with as standard. I probably won't install a throttle at all.

Comment

nice point their patrick i guess more consideration on which side the throttle should be placed, i must admit i never use the centre gears so the left hand side would be more logical and probably on meed the peddle assist on steep hill climbs lucky for me my towns not to hilly but it does have it's secluded steep banks
              the bottle for me was an extra $10 although a much better looking design i'm happy to save the $10 dollars to keep me under the 1000 mark

Comment

Yeah I had a Shark battery picked out, but I was advised that the mounting tabs/cradle on that pack is somewhat weak and that they can break easily. So I went with the bottle battery instead. I figured $10 extra wasn't going to break the bank anymore than I was breaking it already, hah!

Comment

• alisonnpaul
                  alisonnpaul commented
                  Editing a comment
                  must admit i'm close to a thousand now so the same charger > but change to the bottle battery?? i'm guessing your set up's arrived and fitted. ? hope she's doing her job does the bottle bracket look sturdy the last thing you need at high speed is a brittle plastic bracket that ill crack on a sudden jolt or braking

• PatrickGSR94
                  PatrickGSR94 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nope, supposed to arrive on Tuesday.

You are not going to get that 60 milrs you eant out of that battery. Allowing fir not fully charging and discharging and driving under 20 mph you be lucky to go 40 miles pedaling moderate. My 52 volt 20 amp hour battery does make it 60 miles,but that is pushing the limit. But not when i go fast and accelerate hard. Pas1 and pedaling i use 17 wh a mile at 20 mph. Slower than that just use a pedal bike. Normal use is 20 watt hour per mile
                When having fun, i use at least 35 wh per mile..
                I do carry my charger and a spare bottle battery on trips. And tubes patch kit, chain, etc.

Comment

"Yeah I had a Shark battery picked out, but I was advised that the mounting tabs/cradle on that pack is somewhat weak and that they can break easily."

Does anyone have pictures of this happening? Understanding where and how the breaks occur could help Luna understand the issue and then work with the vendor to strength the mounts.

Comment

Originally posted by funwithbikes View Post
                  "Yeah I had a Shark battery picked out, but I was advised that the mounting tabs/cradle on that pack is somewhat weak and that they can break easily."

Does anyone have pictures of this happening? Understanding where and how the breaks occur could help Luna understand the issue and then work with the vendor to strength the mounts.
                  Have no idea, just something I read on BikeForums. Makes sense, though, as the Carbon Shark and bottle batteries have a sort of "cap" at both ends of the mounting base, while the Shark only has the bottom "cap" or base piece with connecting pins at one end and relies on small tabs to hold it in place.
                  Last edited by PatrickGSR94; 03-09-2017, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X