Strava

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strava

Anyone use Strava to record and log rides? Compare your ride with others.

https://www.strava.com/clubs/130672
    Last edited by osmaster; 02-17-2016, 01:34 PM.

Yeah I do. I just joined your group. Great idea.

Comment

I loaded it on my phone a while back to look at top speed when riding the ebike. I'd been looking at cross-town rides, counting the stops as I try to find the route with the least number of stops. After a friend recently road up a steep local hill and posted his results I got curious and wanted to see how my bike compared. He's younger, 50+ lbs lighter and on a carbon fiber road bike. I'm 20 or more years older on a 20 year old. steel mountain bike with cushy seat, upright handlebars and fatter tires. And of course a BBS02 with a 52v battery.
      I beat his times over the various segments. This was my first serious hill since I installed the motor and was very conservative. I had it in the lowest gear possible (one step from the lowest due to chainline limitation ) and got nervous when it dropped to 8mph on steep sections, not knowing what was too much for the motor. With no temp sensors and really no experience on the hills, I did pedal on the steeper sections, bumping the speed from 8 to 11mph or so. The ride went well, on hills steeper than I ever would have done "for fun" I had a nice ride and never exerted myself enough to break a sweat. I've got stats o'plenty to evaluate the results. Out of over 1100 riders with stats for part of the route I ( well, the bike) ranked 29. Since this is a few miles from Specialized's headquarters, this might include some serious riders. But now I can look at the numbers and see how to improve the bike. (I've already ordered the 30t chainring ) Some riders have more instrumentation and their plots show power applied, which should give me an idea of the power required.
      Here's the run: https://www.strava.com/activities/502204124

Comment

I'd been using MapMyRide. Was sort of annoyed by the spandex wearing Strava worshipping middle aged competitive cult in my workplace.

This pushed me over the edge onto Strava. Sucked up my pride and predjudice... ;) It's good to have family/friends following, puts some pressure on to get on the bike and when the spirit isn't so willing.

Rain and hail here today so took the weather delay opportunity to drop my bike at local mechanic for him to fuss with my rear derailluer a bit.

Comment

Good to be back on the road today after some early week downpours and a time out to get my rear derailleur back in shape. Wasn't indexing correctly and couldn't get to the granny gear. Looks like it got bumped somewhere along the line and bent in a bit toward the wheel throwing it out of whack.

Comment

Bump <for visibility to newer forum members>

Comment

I still use Strava to analyze my interesting rides. I'll leave the setting for "bike" when I finish to compare to bicycle riders. Once I see how I compare to KOM (sometimes I am the KOM) I re-categorize the ride as an e-bike ride to keep from annoying the people who actually sweated the hills. Right now I'm running a BBSHD with the stock steel chainring. Soon, I'll be installing the mighty mini 30T ring and will see how it compares on a few of the hilly rides. My bike is a little below the curve with what a BBSHD can do, the battery cannot supply 30A continuous, so I've programmed it to dial back to either the max peak current ( 27A ) or the max continuous current (20A), depending on the ride. It's a perfectly good battery, so I won't be replacing it anytime soon.

It's pretty straightforward to see the elevation change, but sometimes the flats have high winds. At times I ponder a mechanism to record airspeed in addition to ground speed ( GPS ) to be able to compare apples to apples. I have a feeling if that if I could log current along with airspeed that at some point I could infer airspeed from by reading current, ground speed and grade.

Comment

I like your thinking on the relative wind thing idearat, but if you're going to record headwinds, also be sure to include strong tailwinds in your calculations! I know they have small anemometers that plug directly in a smart phone, that's be one way to get a handle on the relative winds involved.

I ride with a guy who is a Strava freak, once he starts showing you what it, and he, does it never stops! He rides every day, 18 to 28 miles, with 3 to 5+ K vertical,.and is pushing 70 real hard. Strava is on my list of things to look into when I get the time, right now my trip meter, amp gauge, and my legs are adequate info to tell me how much fun I had.
                Last edited by CPG; 10-21-2017, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X