Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2016 Breezer Downtown EX Women's X-Small Frame

My wife just purchased this bike so she might join in the ebike craze:

www.levelninesports.com/2016-breezer-downtown-ex-st-women-s-steel-town-bike-8-speed

She selected this bike based on her preference for the appearance and price but I would like to add a rear hub motor that she can use for hill climbing, but not for speed. She basically doesn't need to go over 20MPH. She doesn't want pedal assist as much as just a straight throttle for use when she needs it.

I found this combo kit on ebay that does have a prebuilt wheel (700c) which would match her specs, however, I don't want it to be underpowered or just junk. I also had considered a Magic Pie for this bike instead.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what they would get in this situation?

Since she wants to be able to pedal without the motor getting in the way that means you need a motor that free wheels. So it's got to be a geared hub motor or a mid drive. The mid drive is way more motor than what she needs so a good quality GEARED hub motor is what to look for

Comment

OptimusPrime Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look for a geared hub motor.

Comment

You could probably put a front wheel kit on that steel Breezer, but for safety, a rear hub motor is better. The install isn't much harder.

I've bought two 26" wheel kits from this guy in 2015 and 2016. Both are still running well. And the price is still around $200. I didn't get an LCD display when I bought mine, but you usually get a few more options with it that improve PAS. I've not seen many other kits around. I've ordered geared motors from CHina, put wheels on them, and added electronics, and cannot beat $200. Just my opinion, but if I wanted another low power hubmotor, it's hard to beat this package, assuming the current stuff works as well as mine did. Only tradeoff is that it is a 36V kit.

700cc 36V 500W rear geared hub motor with LCD display

At 36V, my experience with the kit is that throttle tops out around 18 mph, but with pedaling, an easy 20 mph is possible (220 pounds bike/rider). Makes it legal where I live, anyway, although not all ny bikes are legal.

Direct drive is great for speed/acceleration, and very reliable, but you got motors that go from 12-18 pounds, and the electronics on the cheaper kits aren't usually optimized for people that want to use the pedals.
        Last edited by HarryS; 03-20-2017, 07:21 PM.

Comment

HarryS Thanks for that advice. This is actually the exact kit I had bookmarked on eBay as a potential option and would probably fit her bike perfectly. The cost is really affordable as well.

Comment

I just received this kit and attempted to install it. However, the axle is larger than the bolt that the forks will allow. Her current bike seems to have a 5/8 or 9/16 inch axle bolt? This new one is larger. Does anyone know if you can easily replace the axle on these motors or would I need to dremel out her back forks a little and utilize torque arms to stabilize (for safety)?

Comment

Is this a rear wheel kit? When you say rear forks do you mean rear dropouts? Yes you will need to enlarge the dropout enough to get a nice tight fit. Sometimes all you need to do is remove the paint in there but other times a little filing does the trick. Go slow so as to not make it a loose fit. As far as torque arms, always use them, it's your wife after all!
              Last edited by OptimusPrime; 03-26-2017, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X