I really need ALL my gears!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really need ALL my gears!

I have an 8-speed 11-28 cassette on my bike, with a BBS02 kit with the stock 44-tooth ring. Chainline is terrible. The best chainline is in the 6th cog, and I don't like going lower than the 3rd cog. But I don't feel like 3rd gear is really low enough for efficient starts from a stop. Also on my commute I have several hills were I can easily top out, without assistance, in the 8th cog.

I've seen people rearranging cogs to get more use out of certain cogs they wouldn't otherwise, but I personally feel like I can use all 8 of them. Would the 42t Lekkie ring get the chainline more in line between the 4th and 5th cogs like it should? When I first built this bike I didn't have a FD and ran on the middle ring of a triple crankset for awhile, and it worked well in all 8 cogs of the cassette. Hoping a Lekkie ring can do the same for me here.

*edit* based on my measurements, the center of the cassette between 4th and 5th cogs should be around 45mm from the frame centerline.
    Last edited by PatrickGSR94; 03-21-2017, 08:32 PM.

My suggestion after enduring problem of a year, wish i had greater gear range.
    I got a three speed internal hub igh to use with my. 8 soeed. Sturmey archer csrk3. Triples number of usable gears. 8 speed becomes 24. Very happy with it. Sram also has hybrid hub.

Comment

• calfee20
      calfee20 commented
      Editing a comment
      This! on the S-A hub. I also have one and I think it maybe the best solution. I have not tested their 5spd yet though.

Stock chainring offset is 5mm, the BBS02 Lekkie is 9mm. I have the Lekkie and I can tell you that if the stock chainring lines up with the 6th cog on your bike, if you install the Lekkie it will definitely the move chain line back a cog or two to the 5th or 4th cog.

Comment

Originally posted by OptimusPrime View Post
      Stock chainring offset is 5mm, the BBS02 Lekkie is 9mm. I have the Lekkie and I can tell you that if the stock chainring lines up with the 6th cog on your bike, if you install the Lekkie it will definitely the move chain line back a cog or two to the 5th or 4th cog.
      Nice. And yeah IGH would be nice to have, but that's off in the future sometime, hopefully if I can learn how to build/lace it up myself.

Now wait, is there an IGH that also accepts a freehub cassette?? I've never seen such a thing!

Comment

That is what I have on my bike and is what we are talking about. 3spd IGH with 8 cog cassette gives 24 speeds and it is compatible with standard MTB shifters. http://electricbike.com/forum/forum/...-cruiser/page4

At S-A http://www.sturmey-archer.com/en/pro.../cs-rk3-silver

Do a search in this forum there are some threads and more than a few have this setup.

Comment

Wow that's amazing, I've never seen such a thing! It's a novel idea but for me it would probably be more than what I need. I rather like having just one shifter to mess with.

Comment

Working...
          X