203 or 180mm Tektro dorado on front

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

203 or 180mm Tektro dorado on front

Getting ready to install my rockshox silver TK solo air fork on my bike. It is rated for up to a 200mm disc. I am definitely going with a 180mm rear so looking for some opinions on the front. Will 203 be overkill or like nice power brakes lol.

My latest BBSHD build just finished, i went with 203mm front and back - these things will stop you!

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000743_lzn.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	480.3 KB
ID:	41643

Comment

Hmm maybe I should consider 203 on the rear also but still think that is overkill?
      I see you have a nvx fork. Suntour specs a max 180 disc for that fork but you would not be the first to go over the "safe" limit. How does that fork work for you. My build is getting schwalbe energizer 50-622 tires. A 99.9 percent pavement commuter!
      My bike came with an nvx fork and I hated the lack of adjustable compression damping and non existent rebound damping but would have been "streetable"
      Do you have a front rack mounted? Looks like it from the photo.
      Last edited by Scott S; 08-05-2017, 03:18 PM.

Comment

I think 180 on the back would be ok, it all depends on the weight of the bike with you on it,
        not that easy to haul you to a stop as the HD can get you up to a serious speed in no time at all.

That NVX came on the bike s/h, it still does a decent job, i don`t have it in the forests just tarmac and gravel paths, in time i`ll be looking for a decent air shock funds permitting.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Think I will just go 203 front and rear and be done with it lol

Comment

Just for reference this is the 203 on the back...

Name:	P1000748_lzn.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	576.9 KB
ID:	41652

Comment

Nice. Your rear brake is post mount. Wish mine was. Just looks way better. How does the front fender mount to the non disc side on the front if I may ask

Comment

Yeah, know what you mean, theres no mount there.
                I used one of those `P` clips, you know the ones with the rubber insert, doesn`t look out of place.

You can see it here if you zoom in a bit..

Name:	P1000781_lzn.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	879.8 KB
ID:	41704

Comment

Looks fine. P clamps fix everything l

Comment

PS. Nice build! Almost makes me want to return my rockshox air fork but to late. Have had it to long to return it.

Comment

Tommie. What size tires are you running?
                      Thanks.

Comment

• tommie
                        tommie commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Bought via Ebay ..

Schwalbe Range Cruiser 700 X 35c ( 28x1.40) Kevlar Guard 28" Road Bike Tyre 2Pcs

My bike has wtb i25 TCS wheels. I have a set of schwalbe energizer plus 50-622 (28x2.0) to mount up but since my wheels are tubeless compatible I have been thinking about some schwalbe marathon supreme microskin tubeless easy but don't like the price or am sold on the messy sealent. Particularly for a mainly street ridden bike. The supremes are not e bike 50 kph rated either but that is not a buggy.

Comment

• tommie
                        tommie commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Do you really need to go tubeless for street riding, i think the energizers with a couple of slime tubes will keep you out of trouble for a long time.

Don't really want to do the tubeless tires route. I agree though I have read that putting orange seal endurance in he inner tubes works a lot better than slime tubes. Not reading many favorable results about slime tubes at all. The energizers should suit me just fine. Look awesome too lol.
                      If I was hard trail riding I would consider the tubeless tires route
                      Last edited by Scott S; 08-06-2017, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Just installed a Dorado front brake, handle and 203 disk on my off-road bike yesterday afternoon, wow I see why people are using these on ebikes, feels like brakes on a brand new BMW or something, smooth and powerful. I had a Magura Hydro on there before which was a good brake along with Hayes levers but I could not get ebrake sensors to work with the handles (believe me, I tried, spent hours trying to get the magnets to work, no go) so I got the Tektro (1) with the ebrake handle so I have a front ebrake to help me shift and some extra braking power.

Also have a 203 disk on the rear of said bike, my motto is "I'll drive anything that stops". Bigger disks don't make you stop faster but they do cool better on long steep downhill grades, the type where you stop and flick a few drops of water out of your water bottle on the brakes and steam puffs up.

Comment

The 203mm Dorado fit fine on the said RockShox fork. I have it on my FS Turner bike. The Recon Air fork replaced my RockShox Indy C fork. The Recon is smoother and more subtle. But it flexes way more than the Indy, I can see it wiggle constantly going over rough patches of road.

Comment

Working...
                          X