Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scott S
    replied
    Look for a crack around the crown where the stanchion inserts also. May be hard to see but possible??

Leave a comment:

• Scott S
    replied
    Sometimes you need to inspect them yourself. It is a very easy fork to work on if you have the tools. I would almost bet a bad spacer bushing or stop as some people call them

Leave a comment:

• Kocho
    replied
    Sorry to hear about your sister! Mime is apparently OK too, according to the LBS. Although I think it could be tighter yet. Wasn'tdissimar from some other forks installed on other bikes in the store. Works great though, which is what matters.

I put neoprene sleeves on it and on the resr shock, to keep dust and dirt out.

Leave a comment:

• Scott S
    replied
    Sorry I have not responded sooner. My sister passed away here and then we had the hurricane here. It has been a mess. I got my recon air mounted up a few days ago and it is totally solid. No issues at all. Blows away the suntour that was on stock

Leave a comment:

• Kocho
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks! Glad yours are good. I'll see what the shop says about mine. That play shouldn't be there.

• Zippy
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah I suspect there might be a problem with your forks, mine seem real solid, gave them a real hellacious workout last weekend and I feel pretty confident in them, not any unwanted movement that would make me leery of riding them whatsoever.

• Kocho
    replied
    Scott,

Did you get your Recon installed? I am almost positive something is wrong with mine. By feel/listening, I think the source of play is inside the left stanchion on mine. I can feel it moving and clanking gently when I rock the bike back and forth with the front brake locked. There seems to be no play in my headset. The play disappears if I compress the fork some.

I'll get it checked for warranty service as it is practically a new fork with less than 300 miles of paved road commuting... Luckily, got a nice bike shop right by my place that is Sram-authorized.

Originally posted by Scott S View Post
    Dang. Don't like hearing that but I sure hope the recon is better than the garbage suntour it is replacing. The recon has 32mm stanchions to the suntour 28mm.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Those Turner frames are beautiful, always admired them and worse case scenario if you have to save up and put a high end fork on there like a nice set of Bombers it's not like the bike isn't worth doing the money pit dance with. ( looking on the bright side)

Leave a comment:

• Kocho
    replied
    Good thought. The frame is designed for 100mm (4" actually) of travel. I had the 80mm Indy there temporarily. So the geometry is fine an not chopperred by any means. 120mm wouldn't be out of place either.

I'm almost certain I have the XCE frame:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...c-rxxHse68_ufg
    Last edited by Kocho; 08-09-2017, 09:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Scott S
    replied
    Did you measure the crown to axle height on your old Indy fork 80mm travel and compare it to the recon 100mm travel. You may have increased the height well over 20mm and caused a chopper effect on your frame geometry. Best to keep any difference around 10mm. You may consider getting the 20mm internal stop/spacer and change your recon to 80mm travel which will lower the recon 100 from 506mm crown to axle to 486 (spec for 29 fork not 26!!). Quite possible you are stressing your head tube and getting frame flex?
    When I get my recon mounted up and test ride I will post a review.
    Last edited by Scott S; 08-09-2017, 09:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Kocho
    replied
    I've read it's a bit flexy vs some higher end forks. I suppose, a matter of perspective. I will check the bearings in rhe headset to be sure. I don't detect play there and everythibg is smooth. But since I installed the headset and fork myself, I would not rule out something iffy there.

Let me know what you find when you get yours installed.

Originally posted by Scott S View Post
    You positive you do not have a bad bearing in the headset/ head tube?
    Everything I have read about the recon is how stout and flex free up he stanchions are.

Leave a comment:

• Scott S
    replied
    You positive you do not have a bad bearing in the headset/ head tube?
    Everything I have read about the recon is how stout and flex free up he stanchions are.

Leave a comment:

• Kocho
    replied
    I am 200lb out of the shower. I've never seen that kind of visible vibration back and forth with my Indy fork, despite it being with thinner stanchions, cheaper, and lighter than the Recon. This is on rough asphalt or packed dirt trails, typical commuter stuff, not some huge rocks off-road. The fork very easily flexes back when braking too. Does not seem to affect the ride much, but was quite unnerving initially as my old fork did not do that. I have the 100mm version of the fork for 26" wheels, so it is not that much longer than my Indy fork, which I think has 80mm of travel

That said, this is my first decent quality fork, so I don't know how it compares to others...

Originally posted by Zippy View Post

Curious how much you weigh, coincidently I also have the Recon Silver 26" on my FS bike, I don't detect much flex, they seem fairly solid for a low end fork but........that may be due to the fact I'm an extreme flyweight, 125 lbs. A couple toothpicks could hold me up.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Kocho View Post
    The 203mm Dorado fit fine on the said RockShox fork. I have it on my FS Turner bike. The Recon Air fork replaced my RockShox Indy C fork. The Recon is smoother and more subtle. But it flexes way more than the Indy, I can see it wiggle constantly going over rough patches of road.
    Curious how much you weigh, coincidently I also have the Recon Silver 26" on my FS bike, I don't detect much flex, they seem fairly solid for a low end fork but........that may be due to the fact I'm an extreme flyweight, 125 lbs. A couple toothpicks could hold me up.

Leave a comment:

• Scott S
    replied
    Dang. Don't like hearing that but I sure hope the recon is better than the garbage suntour it is replacing. The recon has 32mm stanchions to the suntour 28mm.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X