Simple Tips for eBikers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple Tips for eBikers

I thought it might be nice to have a place to put simple suggestions which may not be worth their own thread. Clever ideas, maintenance suggestions, tool tips, & general tidbits of wisdom, if you will. Not questions, just answers. Short and to the point. If you want to add discussion, sure, but I suggest using bullets for the tips so they can be quickly spotted without poring over every sentence.

Drop tips in this thread as you think of them.

Here are a few that come to mind to start it off:
    • On this forum, click the A button at the top right of the reply box to open an advanced editor, where you can format text, add bullet points, etc.
    • That Velcro strap or rubber band you use to hold you pant leg out of the chain makes a dandy parking brake. Just pre-load the brake lever, and wrap it up. Bike won't fall over when you lean it for parking.
    • Pledge furniture polish is a pretty good bike cleaner and wax.
    • If you need battery padding along the frame in a triangle bag, use a spare inner tube. Free storage.
    • If you experience 'self-steer' on a fat bike, where it pulls into turns too much on hard surfaces, add tire pressure.
    • If you change the size of the biggest front or rear sprockets on a bike, you probably need to change the chain length, too.

Whatcha got?
    Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

I think that a lot of money could be saved by preventing or minimizing an injury, whether that means driving more safely or wearing additional safety and/or visibilty gear.

I use extra lighting to maximize my ability to see objects in the road that could cause a flat or accident.

I always take some time on the weekend to go over my bikes and look for loose nuts, debris in tires, etc. This usually involves checking that the axle nuts are tight.

I bought really good padlocks and chains. There are methods of making it impossible for someone to steal your bike(s), but they do cost a little.

Gloves with padded palms and elbow pads could really help in a high speed accident. Same goes for a full face helmet.

If something seems like it may cause a problem (e.g. an adjustable stem, habit of blowing through stop signs, other unsafe driving habits), that is your clue to fix it before it actually causes a problem.

My family saved a boatload of money by becoming a one car family.

Teach your kids the love of bicycles and they'll never have money for drugs.

Don't skimp any more than you absolutely have to on parts and labor. If you have to redo it, you will end up paying more in the end.

The contacts that I have made have been the key to successful bike builds. If you find a good vendor, mechanic or friend, take great care of them 100% of the time.

Ride, ride and then ride some more. Practice makes perfect.

When removing a rear wheel (e.g. when changing a flat tire), first remove the chain from the chainring. This will give the chain much more room to get around the freewheel and derailleur when you remove and replace the rear wheel. After installing the rear wheel, put the chain back on the chainring.
    Last edited by commuter ebikes; 04-28-2016, 06:31 AM.

Comment

• JPLabs
      JPLabs commented
      Editing a comment
      Really good advice; sounds like the voice of much experience. Thanks!

If something seems like it may cause a problem (e.g. an adjustable stem, habit of blowing through stop signs, other unsafe driving habits), that is your clue to fix it before it actually causes a problem.
      Well said.

I've learned that I tend to swerve left when I look behind me, so I try to always be conscious of this and not look without thinking first. A startling car coming up behind me could almost suck me in this way if I were careless. Now that you've reminded me to think about this, I'm going to go find a helmet mirror.

Originally posted by JPLabs View Post
    I've learned that I tend to swerve left when I look behind me
    Yes, drivers and riders have a tendency to steer toward the direction in which they are looking, which can work to your advantage or not.

Comment

Not getting as much range as you need or having problems with the motor or controller overheating? Turn down the max current.

Comment

• Rockshox Bluto not rebounding all the way up?
          • You probably have air trapped in the negative chamber. Remove the hex bolt from inside the bottom of the air side of your fork. There's a Schraeder valve behind it. Depress this to let the air out.
          • For a permanent fix, replace the fork grease with something like Slikoleum. The stock grease is too thick and can plug the air port in the fork, causing the problem. This improves fork action in cold weather, too.

Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

I like this thread. Not my suggestions but thought they were worth placing here. http://electricbike.com/forum/forum/...thumb-throttle

Comment

-Use the brightest headlights and tail lights you can afford/build. I see everyday a lot of bike commuters around town riding on an all-black bike, dressed all black with no lights at all. (Oh, the 5.95 Walmart blinker doesn't qualify as a light...)
            -Wear high visibility clothes, like neon yellow, or orange... something that can be seen from a mile away. If it has reflective strips then thats a bonus.
            -If you commute on eBike at over 20 mph I will strongly recommend you buy a scooter full face helmet. I fell off the eBike due to wet conditions once and the full face helmet saved my face.
            Alpha One 6000W tadpole e-Trike (Cyclone): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFC8MRwvgUM
            Alpha Two Cyclone 3000W tadpole e-Trike: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkakVw8yY8E
            Electric Cyclone 3000W eBike "power mod": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_weSmz_h3Ig

Comment

Originally posted by JPLabs View Post

Here are a few that come to mind to start it off:
              • On this forum, click the A button at the top right of the reply box to open an advanced editor, where you can format text, add bullet points, etc.
              • That Velcro strap or rubber band you use to hold you pant leg out of the chain makes a dandy parking brake. Just pre-load the brake lever, and wrap it up. Bike won't fall over when you lean it for parking.
              • Pledge furniture polish is a pretty good bike cleaner and wax.
              • If you need battery padding along the frame in a triangle bag, use a spare inner tube. Free storage.
              • If you experience 'self-steer' on a fat bike, where it pulls into turns too much on hard surfaces, add tire pressure.
              • If you change the size of the biggest front or rear sprockets on a bike, you probably need to change the chain length, too.

Whatcha got?

Great idea for a thread and i enjoyed every one of these pearls....i will try think of some now. Thanks again JPL.

Comment

Top 15 Ebike TIps at the tip of my head now....

1. Dont be afraid to drill new holes in your mounting braket on shark or dolphin pack to get it to fit.

2. So much of building an ebike is mickey mousing things to work or to fit. Dont expect a perfect fit or demand a perfect fit. Dont expect everything to be polished right out of the box...polishing is your job as the builder.

3. Consider using thumb throttles only...they work beautifully and are not as dangerous as twist throttles can be.

4. Fat tires are 3x as likely to get flat over quality mountain bike tires ....consider other options

5. when shopping for a used mountain bike, search according to the suspension components...by far the most valuable component on the bike and the easiest way to find a wide variety of frames at the same quality point.

6. Life is too short for cheap suspension components.... go with no suspension over cheap suspension.

7. Thud buster seat makes great suspension for just comfort riding. most ebikers are not doing jumps so dont need full suspension.

8. Swagman bicycle carrier is on amazon prime and can easily carry 2-4 electric bikes on any receiver hitch

9. Do not use cheap shifting components with a mid drive....they break and suck and what give mid drives a bad reputation.

10. an IGH (internal gear hub) is the bees meow on a mid drive electric bike.

11. Invest in a Rohloff...it is the only bicycle component that will be with you your entire life....you can hand it down to your kid as a family heirloom and tell him to change the oil every 1000 miles and maybe it will be as good to him as it was to you.

12. Hammock straps make great emergency tow straps for group rides...on a group ride expect atleast one bike to break down and be ready for it.

13. Riding an electiric bike is a secret joy...but it gotta be a bad ass electric bike...and then you will enter into a secret world....dont brag too much once you found it to keep it ours:

14. The BBSHD with the right battery pack is so amazing it should be illegal.

15. Secret ebike world is revealed here: https://www.electricbike.com/secrets/

Comment

• CraigAustin
                  CraigAustin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Awesome. What is the best battery pack for a BBSHD?

• Sebz
                  Sebz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  52V, 13.5Ah GA cell in a dolphin/shark pack or any bigger pack than 14S6P (PF, GA, NCRb, 30Q, 25R). I have the small NCRB 20Ah pack good for 42amps but I would have gotten the 24Ah GA pack if it was available when I ordered. Not that the NCRb is not great, but voltage sag on theses is not as great as the GA cells, I'm a very big throttle user and hill climber, but still enough for a BBSHD. Price size and performance is absolutely excellent!
                  Last edited by Sebz; 05-29-2016, 12:09 PM.

• JPLabs
                  JPLabs commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I especially liked #13. It expresses the essence of the experience pretty well, I think.

13. Riding an electric bike is a secret joy...but it gotta be a bad ass electric bike...and then you will enter into a secret world....don't brag too much once you found it to keep it ours.

-Eric the Philosopher

Tire slime is highly recommended. Half of the flat tires that I get are repaired by simply using my pump to reestablish my desired pressure level. No taking off the rear wheel and no new tube needed--amazing!

And when I do get a flat that requires installing a new tube, when I take out the old tube I see 4 or 5 staples, tacks, etc. that have been in the tube for months. The tire slime had repaired them so fast I didn't even experience a reduction in tire pressure. All Hail the Mighty Tire Slime!

Comment

If the item you need is not available for sale, you can either make it yourself or hire a professional (welder, machine shop, seamstress, fiberglass or plastics shop) to make it.

Consider all of the materials available: all metals, fiberglass, (rubberized) canvas, denier, Aramid (Kevlar) tape, plastics, epoxy. I hate wood and bamboo, but others like it. Also, consider all the types of fasteners: bolts, rivets, snaps, zippers, cable ties, staples, cotter pins, etc.

My local plastics supply store is a great resource for ebike components.

I have had great success in going to talk to welders, machine shops and canvas shops. They will have ideas that you had not thought of. Bring your parts with you and maybe a flash drive with some pertinent files.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Luna View Post
                    Top 15 Ebike TIps at the tip of my head now....

8. Swagman bicycle carrier is on amazon prime and can easily carry 2-4 electric bikes on any receiver hitch

]
                    According to their website it's 35 pounds per bike. The Saris takes 60 pounds per bike. Also the Swagman has one central arm that may not fit on all bikes if they have a non conventional top tube. The Saris holds the bikes by the front and rear tires only, a much better design IMO
                    https://www.saris.com/product/superclamp-2

Comment

Don't strip the threads on your axle.

Comment

When riding on the street, remember that cars probably anticipate your speed to be that of a pedal bicyclist. Their calculation of when to pull in front of you, etc. will almost certainly be based on this slower speed.

Comment

Originally posted by commuter ebikes View Post
                          When riding on the street, remember that cars probably anticipate your speed to be that of a pedal bicyclist. Their calculation of when to pull in front of you, etc. will almost certainly be based on this slower speed.
                          This ^

I've been almost run off the road several times this year alone because of this. The most common cause is that they cut across your lane thinking you will take longer to get there than you do.

I've also started using front lights even during the day to make myself more visible - seems to have cut down on some silly close calls.

Comment

Working...
                          X