Samsung unveils new electric car batteries for up to 430 miles of range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung unveils new electric car batteries for up to 430 miles of range

Curious to hear everyone's thoughts on this new battery technology. I'm not enough of a battery wonk to know if Samsung actually has something new/innovative here; if so, I wonder how this will trickle down to ebike batteries?
    At the Frankfurt Motor Show (IAA Cars 2017) this week, Samsung’s battery division, Samsung SDI, showcases a new “Multifunctional battery pack” solution to enable more range in electric vehicl…

Once some form of "standard format" begins to emerge long range anxiety may become a distant memory.

Comment

• PWills
      PWills commented
      Editing a comment
      Are you just referring to the different sizes of cells? Or what exactly do you mean here?

• ykick
      ykick commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm referring to the "swappable" format.

• QueeQueg
      QueeQueg commented
      Editing a comment
      We're using Graphene / Lithium Hybrid cells now in RC. They've been available for about a year. They take abuse like nothing else can. Full discharge in 3 minutes and recharge in 5. These figures are from torture testing in FPV racing quads. Some of these packs have been abused like this for over a thousand cycles and show little degradation. These would already solve the range anxiety. Charging in 5 minutes is hardly longer than filling up your tank. Once the full potential of Graphene is realized they'll have performance like that of the mythical super capacitor and be dirt cheap.

Speaking of smoke and mirrors how about this Ukraine bike that goes 236 miles

Comment

I do know that several mining and battery manufacturing stocks have gone ballistic since China's announcement that they intend to ban IC cars and go all electric. Having been buying Lithium batteries for about 15 years now I can tell you they are as cheap as they have ever been today. Quality is vastly improved as well. But I guess it won't last forever. Can't wait until Graphene cells become available.

Comment

Working...
      X