100 miles per charge club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

100 miles per charge club

Ok, so I did not quite do 100 miles on a single charge, but the capacity is there if I needed to.

I did 89 miles starting from a full charge at 58.8V down to 48.6V on my 17.5Ah 52V pack. BBSHD. Note that my display shows about 0.6V higher than actual voltage.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170918_162229.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.59 MB ID:	45627

This was over three separate trips, two 40 milers and one shorter trip. The two 40 mile trips I did in PAS 2 mostly, with infrequent throttle use above that as needed. The 9 mile trip my daughter was fooling about, playing with higer PAS settings and full throttle for short periods (and grinning giddily as this was her first time on the ebike).

The 40 miler trips had about 1600ft total elevation change each, gentle slopes mostly, with few short steep streets.

Paved trails and roads only.

I normally would have charged before my second 40 miles, but did not have time. So decided to see how it would go, warching my power meter and neing careful to stay below 200W most lf the time.

That's on a full suspension mtb (58lb as configured), with 26x1.95 tires at around 30PSI and I am 200lb, second 40mile trip was with a 15lb backpack.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170918_163944.jpg Views:	1 Size:	522.4 KB ID:	45631
    Last edited by Kocho; 09-18-2017, 01:46 PM.

Nice benchmark for range, there! I first expected to see a giant pack, but nope, you did it on the consumption side. Kudos!

I can average 10 Wh/mile on my 1kWh pack, but I'm afraid I don't have the patience to do so for 100 miles.
    Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Yup, it was a difficult exercise in controlling my left thumb from reaching for the throttle or + on the PAS :(

The first 40 miles it was easy, since I had to stay with non-electric road bukes, and they were not that fast. Even PAS 2 was too much at times. The second 40 miles, I was a bit worried I might run the battery down too low, so left it in PAS 2 and just had to slow down and pedal a bit more, but I was still faster than non ebikes by a good margin and co siderably less tired at the end ...

Comment

I got a 64 mile ride in the other day, up to Galena Summit from Hailey Idaho, first I "used up" my 6 AH Mini, down to 43 volts anyway. Then I switched (unplugged/replugged anyway) my 11.5 AH and got done with 50 volts still in it. All road riding. I still consistently always seem to have MORE juice then I had feared, this is a good thing! I pedaled the entire way, with no PAS, but judicious amounts of throttle, my most efficient way to "go."

Comment

I got 55 miles on a 48v 20a with a BBS02. That was with a tandem trike and 2 people total weight of close to 500 pounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Kocho View Post
            Yup, it was a difficult exercise in controlling my left thumb from reaching for the throttle or + on the PAS :(

The first 40 miles it was easy, since I had to stay with non-electric road bukes, and they were not that fast. Even PAS 2 was too much at times. The second 40 miles, I was a bit worried I might run the battery down too low, so left it in PAS 2 and just had to slow down and pedal a bit more, but I was still faster than non ebikes by a good margin and co siderably less tired at the end ...
            Are your PAS set to 5 or 9 levels?

Would make a big difference.

Comment

• Kocho
              Kocho commented
              Editing a comment
              9 levels, as programmed by EMP

For BK Xray:

Please tell me more about the set up on your tandem trike. I am looking to upgrade a cargo bike so I can do 20 miles plus under a load with a kid and groceries etc.

My current set up:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/m8jOb4HCoxK1HHVd2

thanks Dan

Comment

• BK Xray
              BK Xray commented
              Editing a comment
              I have a Magic Pie Ext I got from Golden Motor Canada. It is a direct drive 1000 watt rear hub motor. I wanted something that could take the weight and be bulletproof. It is a 20" cast aluminum wheel instead of having spokes. It has an external controller unlike some other GM motors. We have gone up some pretty steep hills and it has never overheated. I have 2 different batteries I use. A 48 volt 20 ah and a 52 volt 13.5 ah, both from Luna. The 48 gets 50 miles on flat rail trail and will run 21 mph when freshly charged. The 52 is a shade faster and gets around 40 miles on the trail. If I think we will be going on a long ride or it's going to be hilly, I will put both batteries on so I don't have to worry about it. We are pushing 450-500 pounds minimum all of the time.
              Last edited by BK Xray; 10-04-2017, 01:57 AM.

Piece of cake!

Luna 21Ah/1008Wh Panasonic-Sanyo GA 48V battery pack powering a Bafang BBS02B 750W/48V mid-drive all installed on a Soma B-Side V.2 Belt Drive 27.5 frame with Sturmey-Archer 3spd IGH.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Rider; 10-02-2017, 02:05 PM.
            MOVING BACK TO PEDAL...
            2020 Banshee Paradox V3 1x11
            2018 Soma Wolverine 3spd IGH Belt Drive
            2018 Surly ECR 1x7
            1991 Schwinn Crosspoint 7spd (BBS02B)

Comment

Nice!

I was tempted to do the extra few miles to round-up a nice "100" on the display :)

The most I have done in a day is just over 70 miles, going 40 miles round-trip to one satelite office, then another 22 miles round-trip to the other office and then home. Having showers in the office is a good thing on days like that ;) On most days it is one or the other, not both trips. The bike could do more, but my tush was at its limit for a single day...

Comment

Working...
              X