Winter e-biking tips wanted!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter e-biking tips wanted!

Hi, so I built my first e-biIke this year using the bbs02 with 52V mounted on a XC hardtail converted for commuting. I wish to continue commuting using this bike through the winter. I live in Quebec Canada where winter is a good 4 months long with lots of snowfall, -20 celcius is about the normal temperature and roads are slushy, icy or snowy. I read an article or two on how to properly waterproof the components, all except the battery, I mostly want advice on how to properly charge the battery and what to expect in terms of performance due to the cold. Also, should I be bringing the battery inside after my commute or leaving it on the bike until it's ready to be charged, should it be charged cold or bring it inside? Thanks

I read somewhere that lithium batteries must not be charged below 0C. Not good for the chemicals.

I rode for fun in the snow last winter. I didn't think it much fun. Good luck in the cold. Not for me.

Comment

I prefer the fat bike in snow. It's amazing on groomed snow and the tires dont act like pizza cutters, they float. No spinning of the rear when trying to go forward. I didn't like it in deeper snow because it was like trying to plow through and took a lot of effort. I am seriously thinking about converting my pugsly. It would be wise to try to repel the road salt that is so corrosive.
      Ski and snow machine clothing and stuff like goggles make for a more pleasant ride.
      I have battery powered yard equipment and I always bring the batts in for the winter.

Comment

I'm riding 8 miles early tomorrow morning, it will probably be in the low to mid 30's. I have my crane parked down in the valley below, and a morning job further south. So parking the crane at the Flying J for the night and riding the bike home saved me driving all the back to my crane yard in town, so about a 25 mile round trip savings, at 5 MPG plus having to go through the port of entry twice. The ride home today was in the low 50's, tomorrow I'll be wearing some old snowboarding pants, Gortex, in general snowboard gear works great as it's more designed to have enough room to move in, unlike other winter gear. Using my old gear for winter riding also gives me an excuse to buy newer stuff for the slopes.

I also rode 17 miles yesterday, again crane related, the fuel savings of riding an e bike (charged with solar power no less) versus driving the crane through city traffic is HUGE, plus of course the bike is more fun. I plan to continue this into the winter, cold won't stop me, ice will but I'll watch out for it. I rode quite a bit last winter, just have to be "prudent."

Comment

• ykick
          ykick commented
          Editing a comment
          For serious cold riding electric vest keeps me toasty and warm blood flowing to the extremities. 30-50W from battery pack isn't too bad.
      Working...
      X