Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

42 or 48 tooth eclipse.. 29er HT bbshd energizer plus 2 inch wide. Pavement only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

42 or 48 tooth eclipse.. 29er HT bbshd energizer plus 2 inch wide. Pavement only

Just as the title States. I wanted to try a lekkie 46 tooth but no where to be had at the moment. Only want to fit a chain once lol. Oh on 52 volts. Steepest hills here are causeways over Indian River. About 10 degree grade it looks like to me. I am not sure what 8 speed cassette I am going to settle on. What is on the bike now is an 11-34. Next cog down is 26. A big jump but nice spacing from there to the 11

I live in hill country. I had thought I would need to go down to a 42 tooth chainring. But my bike with tall 26" wheels has no trouble climbing anything I need to climb with the 46 tooth stock steel chainring. My main goal is to pedal and use some PAS. If I switched to 42 I would not be able to keep up with the PAS over level 3 on the flats. Set for 9 levels.

Comment

42 will get you at a comfortable pedaling speed of 25 -28mph with 11 on the rear and 29" wheels. On my 26" wheels with 2" tires I have 42 front 11 rear and 23-24mph is great easy pedaling. I can comfortably accelerate to 28mph, short bursts 32mph, but "light pedaling" at a brisk but not too tiring pace for me is no more than 24mph. That is at a cadence that is a little slower than the average exercise cyclist would use for a non-powered bike on the same slope, a little faster than most slow leisurely types. It gets my heart rate up a little and I break a little sweat, but I can pedal like that for hours. YMMV - if you like really slow cadence or very high top speeds while pedaling (well over 30mph), go with larger front.

With your 34 tooth rear you should have enough torque for most reasonably steep hills, the steepest ones you will need to help with the pedals.
      Last edited by Kocho; 10-07-2017, 03:35 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the the replies. I think I will go 48 eclipse unless the lekkie 46 becomes available soon.

Comment

Working...
        X