Bent crank arm BBSHD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bent crank arm BBSHD

Hey guys!!! Been loving this BBSHD on my bike. I think I'm going to keep looking around for a better full suspension bike to mount it to, but for now it's all good. My question for you guys, I took a spill and bent the left side crank arm. It still pedals and clears the motor and frame, but can I buy any set of crank arms or is the bbshd only able to accept specific crank arms. I saw the replacements on Luna Cycle but am wondering if I should find another set if they will bend again the next time I have a spill.

I was just going too fast around a corner and it came out from underneath me on some pine needles.

while I have your attention, the speed sensor doesn't seem to be working accurately. It jumps around or reads 0.0 when I'm actually moving. Any ideas there? Thanks gents.

The consensus is the bafang cranks are weak to begin with. Luna has the lekkie cranks which are expensive. Many people here are using the Shimano steps ebike cranks which are available in 170 and 175mm . They all give favorable opinions about them. The price is right also! If you replace them get something better than a bafang replacement part is my answer.
    Oh and no not just any crank arm will work. It has to match the output type on the bbshd which the Shimano step ebike cranks do.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Shimano-S...28.m4335.l8656

Last edited by Scott S; 10-06-2017, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Any square taper crank arm will work, and they will almost all be better than the stock Bafang cranks. Check the placement of your speedo magnet on the spoke and make sure it triggers the light every revolution.

Comment

The 6" unicycle arms are quite solid and gaining in popularity. The square taper is JIS or cotterless.

Comment

• joerider
          joerider commented
          Editing a comment
          you saved my hide ...great option for us up here in Canada..i have zero chance for Shimano steps unless i pay over 100 and wait 8 weeks...bravo!

• max_volt
          max_volt commented
          Editing a comment
          Glad to have helped.

Thanks for the input gents. I checked the magnet and the light does turn on. I'll take another look tomorrow.

Comment

Just put these on mine. Far superior to stock. https://www.ebikeoutpost.com/product...-crank-arm-set

Comment

• pure_mahem
            pure_mahem commented
            Editing a comment
            Thats where Im planning to buy my cranks from. Thank you. You saved me from asking if that company was good to go or not.

The left crank arm you can replace with just about any square tapered hole crank. Just match the length of the other side and with similar offset to the side.

As mentioned, the Shimano STePS cranks are much stronger than the stock BBSHD cranks and available from various sellers for $30-40 per set delivered in the US.

Comment

Looking for a good 140mm. Unicycle.com is where I have bought many cheap heavy cranks. They have a brand of good ones, but not in 140mm. I have found some kids cranks but I would have to grind off the spider.

Comment

Working...
          X